For those that think Palin was picked only because she's a woman

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
Originally posted by: Mxylplyx
It would obviously be naive to believe that Palin being a woman had nothing to do with her selection. The Republicans, like everyone else, sensed the rift that developed in the democratic party due to the prolonged fight between Clinton and Obama, which split 2 major interest groups in the democratic party. They found the most qualified female Republican office holder that they could to exploit this rift, and Palin was it, and anybody who claims that up until this point the Palin selection has been anything but an enormous success is frankly an idiot. Obama's campaign had the wind knocked out of it within 24hrs of it's highly successful convention, and hasnt been able to get it's breath back.

But back to my original point, does nobody here believe that Obama was vaulted to the forefront of the democratic party in part due to his race? Obama was introduced as the rising star of the democratic party at the '04 convention before anybody had ever heard of him. He didnt just stumble into that position. Power players behind the curtains in the democratic party identified him well before America had ever heard the name Obama, and I have no doubt that his race was discussed just as much as his amazing speaking abilities. While I have been quite enthused about Obama, particularly his international appeal, it has never sat well with me that some individual I had never heard of was introduced as a rising star, which makes the common presumption that we are all just pawns under a massive political establishment that more transparent. People had plans for Obama when he was just a nobody in Chicago. His experience since then, which he touts as his qualifications for president, I believe to be a matter of grooming and training by some masters behind the curtain, the ones who identified him in the first place. Palin at least made it to governor before somebody decided to use her.

You've apparently never seen an election before. She's been a part of the ticket for a week and a half. McCain has seen his post convention bounce, and it's starting to sag. The race is going to change shape at least once more, and we haven't even seen the debates yet. Wait for things to pan out before you start proclaiming victory and passing around the kool-aid. It's really sad.

The events of the last week are but a blink, and there's 2 months left. That's a loooong damn time in an election.

SilthDraeth

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2003
Or he could of Picked Condi, and she is probably more qualified to be President than anyone running for president, or VP, and is a Woman, and is black.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
For those of you who might not understand, let me just say that McCain picked Palin with the full knowledge that none of the Pacific NW states are swing states. Because we know her type well. I'm surprised she's never lived in Spanaway, WA. Or was affiliated with Randy Weaver.

SagaLore

Elite Member
Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Mxylplyx
But back to my original point, does nobody here believe that Obama was vaulted to the forefront of the democratic party in part due to his race?

No.

Black guy, white girl, old guy who has had cancer.

They're PEOPLE! People will vote for who they LIKE, that is how someone becomes a nominee.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
I don't think anyone is suggesting she was picked solely due to her gender. She's a evangelical - and that crowd is motivated with cult like devotion to promoting their warped worldview, logic and reason be damned. McCain wants to use them the same way they've been used in many past elections, but he needs her presence to do that as he isn't one of them. Depending on which McCain you're talking about, he either tolerates them or flat out loathes them.

I actually think that if he had picked Snowe his chances would be far, far better. The religious right has taken quite a pummeling these last 8 years, I think their ranks (politically) have waned. Olympia on the other hand, is a real leader and certainly no Bush lapdog like McCain and his 95% similar voting record - look up what she did in 2003(?). Pretty much single-handedly bent the Bush admin to her will over a heating assistance bill. That lady is the real McCoy.

Her presence would make the McCain gimmick of change be something more than a bad joke.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
The only time Palin got a 3am call was when a moose was loose going through the garbage cans. :laugh:

ps. (credit to Bill Maher)

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Originally posted by: LegendKiller
Originally posted by: nakedfrog
Not JUST because she's a woman, she also appeals to the religious right, which is something McCain was missing.

Because she's such a conservative upright citizen who probably had affairs, kids on drugs, and one with a baby out of wedlock.

She is a meatsheild distraction used to divert attention from an obviously shitty candidate.

I agree. Hardly anyone has been talking about that hussein guy since her pick other than to mention sinking poll numbers.