For those that are religious: are you dismayed by the fact that we care about the religous positions of the candidates?

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
I've taken a short break from P&N, but this has brought me back...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7566341.stm

I've read the article here, as well as the other news going around with Obama and McCain's visit to the area (I live near Lake Forest). But I'm thinking...does it really matter what they believe?

Do any of you believe (I suppose religious or not - because if I said religious only, I'm sure i'm missing a huge segment of AT) that a person's religious beliefs is a huge factor in determining if they are able to lead the country? Of course, one could say it is important that they don't force their religious beliefs on us, but that is not the situation with either of these candidates (at most we'll continue to have faith based funding and maybe something dealing with abortion) so I don't want to go down that speculative path.

Of course I think for them to be invited to a forum to discuss what they think and feel is absolutely fine, but it is obvious that it is a reach towards those who are religious. I can't help but think though that the what is needed is someone that has a developed sense of morals - but we already know morals can be absent of religion. So what should it matter if they believe in God from a Christian, Jewish, or Muslim perspective? Should it matter if they believe in reincarnation so as long as they have do not have a twisted sense of morals. I do think in the case of a president, where we will judge him or her by the actions that he or she takes, what is done is FAR more important than what they think.

I honestly believe that I could vote for an atheist without much of a problem so as long as he or she does not pull a France on us and attempt to actually squash religion in public life. These types of events are just "feel good session" to woo religious voters...but does it really make a difference?

Discuss~

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
I don't give two craps what the candidates think about religion. Oh wait! Did I have to be a theist to respond in this thread?? Crap...

CrazyHelloDeli

Platinum Member
Jun 24, 2001
I am a believer and would say yes, I am worried at how much emphasis is being put on the metaphysical religious beliefs of the respective candidates. In my experience, a person's religious affiliation, or lack thereof, is a horrible indicator of character, intelligence, future job performance and leadership ability. In fact, knowing someones 'beliefs' is to know nothing substantive of said person.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
I don't give two craps what the candidates think about religion. Oh wait! Did I have to be a theist to respond in this thread?? Crap...

Did you even read what I wrote deal monkey ;)
(I suppose religious or not - because if I said religious only, I'm sure i'm missing a huge segment of AT)

I keed, I keed ;) :D

GenHoth

Platinum Member
Jul 5, 2007
It doesn't matter to me at all. As long as they don't try to push their beliefs (or lack thereof) on everyone else.

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
As long as they STFU about their beliefs, I'm fine. So with that said, I'm not fine right now.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: Tab
If was religious, yes it would matter. Why the hell wouldn't it?

I'm kinda religious (I say "kinda" because I haven't been in a church forever, I'm not sure many religious people are found there?) and I don't care.

I don't think either one of these guys is religious, and I don't think GWB is despite what he says.

IMO, politicians are far too arrogant/proud and sneaky liars to be religious.

Edit: I don't believe I adequately addressed your question in my original response:

For those that are religious: are you dismayed by the fact that we care about the religous positions of the candidates?

No, I'm not dismayed by it. Who am I to object to what interests them? While I do not believe there is a great deal of relevance between the topic of good government and religion, different people reach decisions in a different fashion in all manner of subjects. Perhaps I'm just used to it and accept it. Isn't there an old saw about accepting what you cannot change? (I ignore it more than accept it though).

Fern

NeoV

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2000
I disagree Fern, i think GWB is too religious - his first actions as president were to shut down assistance to family planning centers (or something along those lines) that weren' focused on abstinence, and I have to believe it's shaped his opinions on stem cell research.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
The topic of religion is very vague. All people beleive in something. You could beleive in social engineering and forcing people to be anti-religious and rounding up believers and feeding them to the lions like they did in Roman Times. So a person's belief system could be described as their moral beliefs. Morals and religion are two different things. If a person running for president can not answer a simple question like when do think life begins, it may point to a lack of all morals, or it could mean that Obama is a big chicken, has an opinoin and kept from answering the question so he did not have to reveal his opinoin. In my mind, everyone has an opinoin. I guess Obama is just too spineless to admit it.

Remember when Obama was running in the primaries? He specifically referred to himself as a Christian. So religion does matter because it was Obama that brought it up. So it is on Obama to explain his supposed religious beliefs.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I am so cynical of these people that whenever they do anything religious I think it's fabricated. Look at Bush, for instance. I know Christians who support Bush because he's a Christian. Really? He is trying to become Christlike? Gimme a break. Underneath the veil I don't know what is there but it's not a likeness of Christ.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: Corporate Thug
Originally posted by: manowar821
As long as they STFU about their beliefs, I'm fine. So with that said, I'm not fine right now.

why exactly do they have to STFU about their beliefs?

Because it has nothing to do with how well they will potentially lead the country

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Anubis

Because it has nothing to do with how well they will potentially lead the country
It does if they believe what they say they believe. The disconnect is the problem.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Whether we say so or not, religion is important. Something tells me most people might have an objection if we elected a satanist to office.

Harabec

Golden Member
Oct 15, 2005
Elections are irrational and mostly centered around appearances.
Religion is just one part of that game.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
I'm severely disheartened every 4 years to hear otherwise intelligent adults pander to crowds and proudly state their ridiculous adherence to religious dogma that we all know they don't really believe. That a person need publicly state for the record their (faked) deeply held belief in invisible beings as a prerequisite for getting elected in this country probably has a lot to do with why we end up with such liars in office year after year.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Whether we say so or not, religion is important. Something tells me most people might have an objection if we elected a satanist to office.

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
Originally posted by: NeoV
I disagree Fern, i think GWB is too religious - his first actions as president were to shut down assistance to family planning centers (or something along those lines) that weren' focused on abstinence, and I have to believe it's shaped his opinions on stem cell research.

i wouldnt say his actions are "religious", but that they pander to a certain type of people

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: magomago
I've taken a short break from P&N, but this has brought me back...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7566341.stm

Topic Title: For those that are religious: are you dismayed by the fact that we care about the religous positions of the candidates?

Topic Summary: ...does it really matter? Is it really going to change anything?

Welcome back

The religious and Corporate aplogists will keep the GOP in power.

Apr 17, 2003

doesn't change the fact that they too have 1st amendment rights.

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007

doesn't change the fact that they too have 1st amendment rights.

What I mean is not letting their "religion" dictate how they work for the country. Using their baseless faith to make decisions about how WE get to live OUR lives, or who to bomb, or who is more of a citizen and as a result who receives more rights. That would make them a terrible person, not worth the air they breathe, much less the presidency.

That would make them a religious dictator.

Religion is not something that should be touted or used, simply for the fact that so many people follow (or don't follow at all) different kinds of faiths, never-mind the complete lack of evidence for any kind of gods or super-heroes whatsoever. They're supposed to represent us, not tell us what is moral and who the gods bless at the moment. I'm afraid that I won't see the day this comes true, though. At least not for some decades.