For those of you who make over $85K/year....

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: DonVito
Originally posted by: Nebor
1998 Volvo S70 T5 (modified to the gills)
2003 Acura TL Type S (daily driver @ ~30mpg)
2001 Ford SVT Lightning (runs a 12.0 with a few mods)

I enjoy cars. All of mine are paid off.

You posted the same cars twice in this thread. What the hell does a single person need 3 cars for (especially where two of them are midsize sedans)? It's not like any of them are collectable.

I doubt he claims to "need" them. Basically 1 daily driver, 1 project car as a hobby, and I don't know about the Lightning, I always found the concept pretty silly.

iversonyin

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2004
Originally posted by: her209
Originally posted by: Azurik
Originally posted by: fisher
Originally posted by: fisher
i'm guessing there are less than 10 people on these forums who really make over 85k a year.

actually, there are a lot of californians on here, but that doesn't count because 85k cali money is like 30k everywhere else.
Why would you assume that? Not everyone here is very young. $85K isn't a ton of money.
because 90% of the stuff posted on here is BS, why would i expect any less now? 85k is quite a bit of money outside of cali or nyc. 5 years ago i'd probably feel differently, but these forums aren't filled with the quality of people they once were.

altho i've been convinced it might be closer to less than 25 people instead of 10.
I bet there's a lot more than 25... considering a lot of people are in the tech field. Not everyone here is in highschool.
Maybe the OP meant to say $85K Canadian Dollars :p

or 85k Yen? :confused:

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
Originally posted by: sygyzy
Originally posted by: halik
Originally posted by: Amused
Divorced.

A 1999 VW Passat. Paid off and in perfect condition.

I see no reason to make the single worst investment a person can make: Buy a new car... especially every 3-5 years.

I disagree, leasing a car generally ends up a higher loss. Same thing goes for excessive rent. In either case you end up with no equity when the lease is up.

The car lease thing is not universal, though. With a $350//mo lease, you're expecting the car to depriciate 4100 bucks in one year/12K miles. This might be the case for a brand new domestic, but usually not for used foreign cars.

I don't think you get it, halik. The alternative to not buying a brand new car is, wait for it, wait for it, buying a used car!

Some reasons to buy new:

*Cars are constantly being updated with new technology and new materials
*Huge discounts or 0% financing can make new cheaper than used
*Low depreciation can make new cheaper than used (This is often the case w/last-year's model of the Civic and Corolla)
*Limiting yourself to exactly the options you want rather than what's on the market can make new cheaper than used (ie standard transmission, cloth seats, manual windows)
*Absolutely certain that previous owner hasn't thrashed the car
*No risk of laundered title
*Warranty
*Company pays for it

As for the OP, I fall short of the minimum income by a hair :(

avash

Nov 28, 2003
don't make that much :(

Single, house. 2 cars, first is a Maxima which I own as a daily driver, 2nd is a mint 94 RX7 for the nice summer days which I took a loan out for. Should have it paid off in about 3 years.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: Nebor
1998 Volvo S70 T5 (modified to the gills)
2003 Acura TL Type S (daily driver @ ~30mpg)
2001 Ford SVT Lightning (runs a 12.0 with a few mods)

I enjoy cars. All of mine are paid off.

You posted the same cars twice in this thread. What the hell does a single person need 3 cars for (especially where two of them are midsize sedans)? It's not like any of them are collectable.

:confused: I actually used the "search this thread" feature at the top to see if I had posted in it before. Now I feel stupid. :eek:

The Lighting was just a mistake. I got a big promotion, Ford had 0.0% financing going, the idea of a fast truck tickled my fancy, so I got it. I didn't like it a lot once I had it, so I threw some money into mods (about $5k) and got it down to a 12.0 @ 116mph quarter mile. It still isn't fun. Want to know how much I like to drive it? It has 7000 miles on it. It's a 2001.

I bought the Volvo after I put my last modded Volvo into the wall @ 80mph. I love Volvos, and I always will. Much more expensive to modify than the Lighting, but I love to drive it. I bought it for about $9k and I've spent nearly that much modifying it.

The TL I got as a daily driver. I guess it was a good choice in that regard, since it's so boring to drive that I'd never consider modifying it. I still don't like it. I've been thinking of replacing it, but I prefer to put my "new car payment" money into mods on the Volvo rather than get rid of the TL, which does it's point A to point B job well enough. I have to drive nearly 60 miles round trip every day, and the gas mileage is pretty good.

T9D

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2001
2002 BMW 325 i

Single

Sure I could go finance a newer car but I like to pay cash for things. And I love this car anyway. If you blow your money you wont have any.

DCFife

May 24, 2001
I fall just short of your criteria, but my wife doesn't so I will respond:

'06 Civic LX Sedan
'06 RAV4 Base
'99 Sentra SE

My wife works about 2 miles from me so we commute together. We use the Civic 80% of the time when we drive in because it gets 37mpg (for me, at least) and the commute is 29 miles. The RAV4 gets used the other 20% of the time for commuting when I need to pick up equipment and move it. My wife uses the Sentra to drive to the commuter lot that's about 1 mile away when I don't go into work or leave later than she does.

I don't like auto loans or worrying about a scratch in a $40k+ car - paid cash for the Civic and the RAV.

TXHokie

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 1999
Originally posted by: kush
$85k is kind of poverty line, esp if you have family.

married, jeep GC and for the missus GMC Denali

If you live in San Fran or NYC maybe.
I get by ok considering being at "poverty" line with morgage and 3 kids down south.
98 Accord V6
97 Trooper (upgrade to some minivan soon)

Jamie571

Nov 7, 2002
Originally posted by: Todd33
Married, 2000 Jetta GLX and 2005 Oddesy, both paid off.

Cars are a very poor investment...[/q]

Could not agree more

married
2000 honda accord here

took me 10 years to get to this income