For those of you who endorse Mitt Romney, explain why

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
There seems to be a few decently intelligent people here that can argue coherently that supports Romney.

So what is Romney's plan in dealing with the current financial crisis and looming bankruptcy and why is it a good plan?

From what I've read, he doesn't seem to have much of a plan other than to continue the status quo "Republican" policies started by Regan.

These policies have been around for the past decade that have brought us into this crisis to begin with. Why do you think continuing these policies would help get us out of this crisis?

Last edited:

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I'm trying to think of a single person here that has 'endorsed' Romney.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
In general, our resident Righties support Paulism, or Rick Parry, the idealized Repub candidate who exists only in their imaginations... Ron Paul is mostly a figment of their imaginations, too.

They got nothin', other than foam around their lips...

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
In general, our resident Righties support Paulism, or Rick Parry, the idealized Repub candidate who exists only in their imaginations... Ron Paul is mostly a figment of their imaginations, too.

Better foam than the man juice the progressives have around theirs.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Mitt Romney was the incredible born again plastic who appeals to everyone. Liberals can trust him for his former record as Gov. of Mass, and now Romney wants the conservatives of the GOP to like Mitt because he has renounced his former evil ways.

In short every man and woman can find a Romney Statement saying he is on their side, and another statement saying Mitt is not.

Which Romney secret identity mask will Mitt don next? Its part of the Romney charm. and mystique. Who will Romney pretend to be next week? As Mitt leaves everyone guessing.

But hey folks, Mitt may still the better GOP alternative, when with most of the extreme right wingers, are not flip floppers and we get a drink stupidity its its purest form.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
The only thing I've heard is "he has the best chance to beat Obama." I'd rather have Obama go down in flames 2013-2016 than have a RINO be at the helm when the shit hits the fan.

IonusX

Dec 25, 2011
The only thing I've heard is "he has the best chance to beat Obama." I'd rather have Obama go down in flames 2013-2016 than have a RINO be at the helm when the shit hits the fan.
yet in every case we can see than paul has the same odds or very close to them..

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
I like his shifting views. Democrats will only need to block him when he proposes something conservative, wait 5 minutes for him to change his mind, and not just get what they want, but get Republicans to take the blame if it doesn't work out.

woodie1

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2000
From what I have read at least 70% of likely Rep. voters across the nation favor someone other than Mitt Romney but they can't seem to agree on any one candidate.

I also read that there is a group of party leaders still trying to agree on someone, anyone, not-Mitt to run in Nov.

I, myself, don't have a clue as to what Romney really stands for so no endorsement here.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
For those of you who endorse Mitt Romney, explain why

Can't say that I endorse him. In my state (NC) we don't vote until May, so I haven't yet started to focus in on the candidates' positions. By waiting a bit I expect the field to be cut down, leaving me with less 'homework' to do.

However, at the moment I do favor Romney. I'm primarily interested in fiscal/economic issues, not social issues. So I don't care about any flip-flopping on gay marriage or abortion and the like.

Romney's business past is very impressive. His work at Bain was extraordinary. That company went in to turn around troubled companies with a hands-on style. That's pretty unique and means Romney has a lot of inside 'hands-on' experience at actually running a business (and many different types of them which is also unique). That's much different from the typical consultant who sits at their desk reading reports and other data and produces a paper detailing recommendation. Bain actually implemented and directed their recommendations and they were highly successful at it. That company (Bain), at least while he was there, was top notch. I worked for one of the largest international CPA firms in our HQ's (both Europe and USA) during the time Romney was running Bain and everyone at HQ thought Bain was an incredibly good firm. It's not easy to impress high-level snobby CPA's.

Romney also did an outstanding job with Olympics. That thing was an out-of-control dumpster fire before he took over. IIRC, it's the only Olympics to ever turn a profit. That's amazing, especially considering the circumstances (IIRC, there was all kinds of corruption and criminal charges, financial mismanagement and out-of-control budgets before he took over and cleaned it all up.)

He's got govt experience at the exec level and has shown he can work with the other side. Being a Repub governor is a solid blue state like Mass can't be an easy job and shows he can work withe the other side.

As far as his personality, his background shows him to be very cautious. I see people here claiming he'd be a warmonger and the like and I simply cannot agree. Cautious people are not war mongers, not impulsive types. They are the opposite. He's also extremely analytical. He identifies, analyzes and weighs elements of risk. If he cannot get comfortable with eliminating or overcoming those risks he will avoid them.

And he's obviously very intelligent. He graduated from Harvard's dual degree program with an MBA and JD (law degree). Tackling both of those at the same time is an impressive feat.

Because of our economy, I think he may be the right person at the right time. If he's as good at business/finance/economics as his resume indicates I think we really needed him in '08.

Fern

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009

Yes :rolleyes: , because Obama's "Hope and Change" was not a complete figment of the "progressive" imagination.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Can't say that I endorse him. In my state (NC) we don't vote until May, so I haven't yet started to focus in on the candidates' positions. By waiting a bit I expect the field to be cut down, leaving me with less 'homework' to do.

However, at the moment I do favor Romney. I'm primarily interested in fiscal/economic issues, not social issues. So I don't care about any flip-flopping on gay marriage or abortion and the like.

Romney's business past is very impressive. His work at Bain was extraordinary. That company went in to turn around troubled companies with a hands-on style. That's pretty unique and means Romney has a lot of inside 'hands-on' experience at actually running a business (and many different types of them which is also unique). That's much different from the typical consultant who sits at their desk reading reports and other data and produces a paper detailing recommendation. Bain actually implemented and directed their recommendations and they were highly successful at it. That company (Bain), at least while he was there, was top notch. I worked for one of the largest international CPA firms in our HQ's (both Europe and USA) during the time Romney was running Bain and everyone at HQ thought Bain was an incredibly good firm. It's not easy to impress high-level snobby CPA's.

Romney also did an outstanding job with Olympics. That thing was an out-of-control dumpster fire before he took over. IIRC, it's the only Olympics to ever turn a profit. That's amazing, especially considering the circumstances (IIRC, there was all kinds of corruption and criminal charges, financial mismanagement and out-of-control budgets before he took over and cleaned it all up.)

He's got govt experience at the exec level and has shown he can work with the other side. Being a Repub governor is a solid blue state like Mass can't be an easy job and shows he can work withe the other side.

As far as his personality, his background shows him to be very cautious. I see people here claiming he'd be a warmonger and the like and I simply cannot agree. Cautious people are not war mongers, not impulsive types. They are the opposite. He's also extremely analytical. He identifies, analyzes and weighs elements of risk. If he cannot get comfortable with eliminating or overcoming those risks he will avoid them.

And he's obviously very intelligent. He graduated from Harvard's dual degree program with an MBA and JD (law degree). Tackling both of those at the same time is an impressive feat.

Because of our economy, I think he may be the right person at the right time. If he's as good at business/finance/economics as his resume indicates I think we really needed him in '08.

Fern
Pretty much how I see it. I think fundamentally he's not far from Obama as Obama has governed, but he has a much better understanding of the economy and especially business. Philosophically I like Johnson and Huntsman better, but besides the fact that Romney has better business credentials, Johnson's already fled to the Libertarians and I don't expect Huntsman to be around when Tennessee goes to the polls so I'm a Romney guy. Anyone else and I'll be voting for Johnson or perhaps even for Obama. Not that it makes much difference in Tennessee, a very conservative state, but I'll vote for Obama just to vote against Santorum, and I'd consider the same for Gingrich and Paul.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
I have to laugh my head off as Fern goes GA GA over stupidity bu saying, "Romney's business past is very impressive. His work at Bain was extraordinary. That company went in to turn around troubled companies with a hands-on style."

As All the assets of the assets of Romney tried to turn around, mysteriously ended up in only Mitt Romney pockets. As he screwed the stock holders, the workers of the company, and benefited only himself.

My only comment is that you, Fern are seriously gullible.

And now Mitt Romney wants to operate on a grander scale. As Mitt can make even more money by Liquidating the assets of the entire USA.

Point maybe granted Fern, Mitt Romney is a smart successful business man, so was Ken Lay, and Bernie Madoff. Who make money the old fashioned way, by legalized stealing, and the brothers of flim, flam, while no one was watching the fast shuffle.

Paul98

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2010
I think I can explain it for you even though I don't. They want to have a chance to beat Obama.