For those of you making 6 figures, how old were you when you broke that barrier?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Originally posted by: iamaelephant
Once again the bullsh!tters of ATOT come out. Somehow I doubt over a third of people making over $100k did it in their 20's, and one half of people here are making over 100k.

In the big cities, it's not all that uncommon in the tech industry. Also consider that some of these people may have made that money during the tech boom in the 90s.

irwincur

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2002
Considering the national average is about 33% of the 100K figure, I would guess that 66% of those that said they have made it are full of BS. Furthermore, I would guess that 90% of those above that number in the real world are 35+ years old - most likely 45+ - most everyone here is under it.

Everyone likes to act like they make more than they do - every guy also has a 10 inch dick too...

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Originally posted by: irwincur
Considering the national average is about 33% of the 100K figure, I would guess that 66% of those that said they have made it are full of BS. Furthermore, I would guess that 90% of those above that number in the real world are 35+ years old - most likely 45+ - most everyone here is under it.

Everyone likes to act like they make more than they do - every guy also has a 10 inch dick too...
Frankly, this thread is pointless unless people post PICS...

of their W-2s that is.

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: her209
Originally posted by: irwincur

Frankly, this thread is pointless unless people post PICS...

of their W-2s that is.

Want a picture of my tax free year, when I ran a non-profit, made 300k, and paid zero taxes? ;)

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
at 23. trading.

Recent years, own business.

100k is still pretty hard if you're working in the corporate world. I know I would still be under if I stayed.

iversonyin

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2004
Originally posted by: Naustica
at 23. trading.

100k is still pretty hard if you're working in the corporate world. I know I would still be under if I stayed.

Was it back in the 90s when you were trading? Good ol' days.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Originally posted by: iversonyin
Originally posted by: Naustica
at 23. trading.

Was it back in the 90s when you were trading? Good ol' days.

yes. Good ol' days where making 100k in a single day wasn't uncommon. Miss those days but now I make it the old fashion way.

Treyshadow

Jan 31, 2000
Houston TX here.

Broke it last year (30). I was just about to become a father (she turned 1 yesterday).

Correct, it is difficult to do it in the corporate world, but if you are aggressive it is very possible. The issue with the corporate world is you have to fit a mold to make that kind of money. The mold changes based on business needs, but it is very possible if you stay flexible and look the part. Many here would not be willing to "look the part" or market themselves aggressively in a corporate environment. I still believe those are necessary in the corporate arena.

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Probably depends a whole lot on where you are. If you live in LA or NY or Boston, 100k is not much, considering your cost of living. Anyone with a reasonably good job is going to hit that in no time. Now if you live in a low cost area and make 100k, that's good money and you probably live in a very nice large house.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Shawn
I like how 20% of the people voted for under 20. :roll:

In that regard the average age of the majority peeps who frequent this BBS is around 16-20.

Ausm

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
There are six figures in $xxxx.xx :p

If we're not counting cents though, well nope :(

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Not even halfway there...

2 cars paid for an a 1500 ft^2 house on a nice sized lot.

Its not how much you make, its how far it takes you. ;)

*EDIT*

Quit a bit over if you count "total package". My base is less then half the 100k, but I pick up a fair amount of OT and have a decent benefits package so well over half way but I still contend how much you make is a worthless figure for comparing a nation wide standard of living. As said earlier, 100k in NYC aint gonna get you very far. 100k where I live and you have it all and then some.

deerslayer

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
I'm 23 now, and if I stay at my job for 5-6 years the potential for 6 figures is there. I'm not counting on it though. I certainly don't need a 6 figure salary to live in this area.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Doubtful that I ever would if I stayed with this employer/field. I would come close, as a Lead or a Project Manager. Once you considered benefits like pension and 401k match it would probably add up to more than 6 digits, but I don't think I'll ever be seeing six figures on a W2 at the end of the year.

My wife on the other hand did it at 26.