Announcement For those of you following my medical problems, I may have good news *** updated cancelled ***

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
So I got checked for eligibility for a cochlear implant today, and its not official, but most likely I will get one in the next 6 months. I had several tests. Without my hearing aids, I am essentially deaf. With them , I scored 1% and 6% on the 2 batterys of tests. You have to have less than 40% on each... I think I passed (flunked) the test, and thats what the doctor said. But the surgery , even if approved may not happen for months, and its 4 to 6 weeks after that before I get them "turned on". I hope this works.

I will still keep up my cancer research(BOINC and F@H), until the money gives out, I will continue that fight till I die.

Here is to good thoughts, as its not guaranteed that they will actually let me hear. I won't know until 4 weeks at least, after they are turned on.

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
Thanks for the update with the good news!
I hope that you will get the operation and that the operation will be successful!
All the best to you, Mark!

Reactions: Markfw

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Thanks for the update with the good news!
I hope that you will get the operation and that the operation will be successful!
All the best to you, Mark!
Thanks Peter. The only problem here is what if it does no good ? I was warned about that yesterday during the test. She said, yes, you are deaf, so you qualify, most likely (maybe was was not a DR, but a tech ?). But she said some people, it does not help, we won't know until months after the surgery. It takes a lot of time to configure and tweak these things.

Oh, and I kept using the plurl, but I only have one nerve, the left. The right was cut while removing a schanoma 8 years ago. I also medically have no balance !. The sad thing is, that sudden deafnes (what I have) usually only affects one side, my right ear might be working perfectly, but without the nerve, its useless. And medical technology has not learned how to splice nerves back together yet,.

And thanks to all here for the good wishes !

Reactions: TennesseeTony
Feb 4, 2009
Thanks Peter. The only problem here is what if it does no good ? I was warned about that yesterday during the test. She said, yes, you are deaf, so you qualify, most likely (maybe was was not a DR, but a tech ?). But she said some people, it does not help, we won't know until months after the surgery. It takes a lot of time to configure and tweak these things.

Oh, and I kept using the plurl, but I only have one nerve, the left. The right was cut while removing a schanoma 8 years ago. I also medically have no balance !. The sad thing is, that sudden deafnes (what I have) usually only affects one side, my right ear might be working perfectly, but without the nerve, its useless. And medical technology has not learned how to splice nerves back together yet,.

And thanks to all here for the good wishes !

Risks in everything as you know.
I understand you’ve had bad luck with side effects and/or surgeries.
Looking at it rationally the surgeons are going to know you have one nerve left and even if it isn’t stated obviously they will be Uber careful not to make things worse.
Yeah it would suck if you go thru all that crap and have no result however you have to try otherwise you’ll spend your life thinking “what if...”
Let us know when it’s going down, I’ll pray for you and your surgeons hands. That is all you can do.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Risks in everything as you know.
I understand you’ve had bad luck with side effects and/or surgeries.
Looking at it rationally the surgeons are going to know you have one nerve left and even if it isn’t stated obviously they will be Uber careful not to make things worse.
Yeah it would suck if you go thru all that crap and have no result however you have to try otherwise you’ll spend your life thinking “what if...”
Let us know when it’s going down, I’ll pray for you and your surgeons hands. That is all you can do.
Well, maybe I didn;t say it right. Even if the surgeon is perfect, it still may not work. Thats what they warned me of. Its not like getting glasses. It uses a microphone, and a computer chip to send additional impulses to the brain. Of the cochlear organ is beyond hope, the implant can't fix that. These tests I did only try to "guess" if it will work. Also, they don't want to to it on someone whose hearing aids are working OK (>40% on the tests). I did 1% and 6%, so most likely I passed. I will reply next week with the updates. Late Tuesday the 25th.

Rudy Toody

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2006
Here's hoping for the best, Mark:)
You said it's a computer chip. Use it for crunching until the tweaks are done. Maybe, you could listen to Folding@Home while you wait.

• Haha
Reactions: Assimilator1

amrnuke

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2019
That's very good news Mark, and hopefully you get some benefit, even if only partial!

Like Rudy Toody said, worst case scenario just use the chip on the cochlear implant for BOINC... the brain has a built in water cooling system :)

PCTC2

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2007
Good luck Mark! It’s worth the shot and I hope it goes well for you.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
wishing the best, my niece has a cochlear (she was born deaf) and it works enough. fingers crossed cant imagine the balance let alone being deaf.

cellarnoise

Mar 22, 2017
Any updates? I crunching I do is for family, you and those like you.

Mark I follow your posts mostly under the CPU thread, but love all that you do there.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Any updates? I crunching I do is for family, you and those like you.

Mark I follow your posts mostly under the CPU thread, but love all that you do there.
Thanks ! surgery is set for May 5th !

Reactions: biodoc