For the first time this election season

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
The biggest problem the dems have as I see it, is that they are mudslinging at their own people. Hillary and Obama are working so hard to tear each other down that by the time the election comes the republicans will have all mud, that THEY generated to through right back at time. It is almost a defeatist attitude "If I'm not going to win, neither will you"

Seriously, when you have such vicious attacks within your own party, how do you expect to just magically pull out of it once the primaries are over with?

They way both Dem candidates are behaving makes me sick.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Not a chance. I'll put my money where my mouth, if anyone wants to make a friendly wager.

Obama wins the nomination. Obama wins the general election. In that order.

Yes, there is always a chance the Democrats could lose. There's a chance a 16-seed could win the NCAA tournament, too. Are either of those chances big enough to bet on? Nope.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Not a chance. I'll put my money where my mouth, if anyone wants to make a friendly wager.

Yes, there is always a chance the Democrats could lose. There's a chance a 16-seed could win the NCAA tournament, too. Are either of those chances big enough to bet on? Nope.

I'm up for the friendly wager. What are the terms and what is the wager?

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: JS80
How much are you willing to risk? I'm guessing you're wagering that McCain will win the Presidency?

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
How much are you willing to risk? I'm guessing you're wagering that McCain will win the Presidency?

Well you said:

I say, that won't happen. :p

You want to make a monetary wager or a non-monetary wager?

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
as a republican, I'm sleeping pretty well :p

edit: not really, but that's a whole other issue. lol. I've said all along that this election isn't going to be as much of a cake walk as democrats have been predicting.

glutenberg

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2004
African Americans have WAY more opportunity than asian immigrants. They speak english and have welfare money on their back while asian immigrants can't speak english and have to resort to money pools/clubs.Being born black and poor is like a golden ticket to a free ride up the academic ladder (through scholarships and affirmative action) and into corporate ladders (diversity initiatives). The difference between poor blacks and poor asians is the culture. Asian culture is STRONG family and push your children's education. There are PLENTY of 2nd generation and 1.5 generation sons of 1st generation POOR IMMIGRANTS who scrimp and save and beat their children to study and are now successful. Yet the black community generation after generation are not able to rise out of poverty while in asian community poverty does not pass more than 1 generation.

Yes, I have been to Westminster, Garden Grove, Monterey Park, CA. They live very modestly and some are ghetto. But in 1 generation at most 2, their sons will be in a better place. It's a starting ground for the first gen immigrants. Some of them get lucky, others don't. But almost all of them are successful in instilling good values into their children who almost all go on to get higher education.

Fine write off the asians. How about poor black individuals who break from the cultural norm and rise above? Blacks like Bill Cosby point this out - the problem is WITHIN. But he is rejected because it's easier to blame others and use it as a political tool to gain power. You want CHANGE? Fine, instead of having the government help you, go help yourself!

This statement just makes it hard for me to believe that you have a firm grasp of Asian immigrant issues as opposed to black American issues.

Whatever the case, there are aspects of black culture that could be changed for the better but when so many generations of black Americans have gone without economic status there's an instant appeal in the "fast money" culture that you're hitting on.

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003
Monetary, unless you had something else on your mind?

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005

I was thinking you have to post a picture of you bare ass if you lose. Or something humiliating like that. I'm all ears.

freegeeks

Diamond Member
May 7, 2001

I was thinking you have to post a picture of you bare ass if you lose. Or something humiliating like that. I'm all ears.

if jpeyton backs out, I'm in. Obama takes the nomination and the election

100 euro

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Originally posted by: Fern
He's talking about "legacy of discrimination" and that racism is still a huge problem in this country.

I didn't get that bit from the excerpts I saw. Rather, I thought he was explaining about how many black felt about it. That some (older) black people still harbor bitterness and resentment from treatment back in the 60's etc.

He also made the case about how some whites harbor bitterness and resentment from things like affirmative action and the like.

I didn't hear him say he supports those views (to the contrary actually), but rather he is honestly (and at some risk) just bringing them out into the open.

In all the recent discussion around here about this matter, unless I missed it, no one has brought up what I think a very important and over-looked point - the idea that HIV was invented by white men, we brought 911 upon ourselves, drugs are being allowed into inner cities to destroy young black people - these are not "fringe" beliefs among the black population.

Further, hearing political coment in black churches in not uncommom either. It's long been recognized that black churches are the foundation of the black political network. Every candidate that comes down South (where there is a sizable black population) campaigns in black churches. Hey, it ain't by mere coincident that most black political leaders have the word "Reverand" in front of their names (ML King, J Jackson, Al Sharpton).

I thought it a pretty courageous speech. He shined a spotlight on some problems most would rather bury in an effort to move past. Not so long ago, many were looking at Obama's success in the campaign and patting ourselves on the back for having moved past race. Yup, and it just came roaring back in a very naked and brutal way.

Im starting to feel some empathy for the guy, as a man with a foot planted on each side of the cultrual divide he is forced to take a measure of how wide that gulf is between the two. And looks to me like each side wants him to come to them, and denounce the other. He can no more do that than split himself in two.

Fern

I think the facts are that he is racially whole and united, an integrated happy and wise man who has answered the racial divide within him. It's the assholes who are racists on both sides that want him to be torn apart. I won't happen. America's future will lose, not Obama. Obama is at peace in his brown skin. He is tomorrow's man as well as Abraham Lincoln.

I see you have the race card primed and ready to go to answer any of Obama's troubles.

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007
Originally posted by: glutenberg
African Americans have WAY more opportunity than asian immigrants. They speak english and have welfare money on their back while asian immigrants can't speak english and have to resort to money pools/clubs.Being born black and poor is like a golden ticket to a free ride up the academic ladder (through scholarships and affirmative action) and into corporate ladders (diversity initiatives). The difference between poor blacks and poor asians is the culture. Asian culture is STRONG family and push your children's education. There are PLENTY of 2nd generation and 1.5 generation sons of 1st generation POOR IMMIGRANTS who scrimp and save and beat their children to study and are now successful. Yet the black community generation after generation are not able to rise out of poverty while in asian community poverty does not pass more than 1 generation.

Yes, I have been to Westminster, Garden Grove, Monterey Park, CA. They live very modestly and some are ghetto. But in 1 generation at most 2, their sons will be in a better place. It's a starting ground for the first gen immigrants. Some of them get lucky, others don't. But almost all of them are successful in instilling good values into their children who almost all go on to get higher education.

Fine write off the asians. How about poor black individuals who break from the cultural norm and rise above? Blacks like Bill Cosby point this out - the problem is WITHIN. But he is rejected because it's easier to blame others and use it as a political tool to gain power. You want CHANGE? Fine, instead of having the government help you, go help yourself!

This statement just makes it hard for me to believe that you have a firm grasp of Asian immigrant issues as opposed to black American issues.

Whatever the case, there are aspects of black culture that could be changed for the better but when so many generations of black Americans have gone without economic status there's an instant appeal in the "fast money" culture that you're hitting on.

Perhaps what he is saying is that society has done everything possible, within reason, to even the playing field, and now it is up to black America to take the opportunities presented to them, and run with it. There is a culture of inferiority and resentment in the black community that cannot be fixed from the outside, and they will not move foward until they put that aside. The hard core white racists out there are mostly just as poor as blacks, so they are certainly not holding black America back. Blacks that drop the thug culture and grow up fit just as well as anyone into my upper middle class neighborhood, in Alabama no less.

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007
Originally posted by: freegeeks

if jpeyton backs out, I'm in. Obama takes the nomination and the election

100 euro

That'll be like $10K once the election comes around.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
WRT the value of the Euro-

That'll be like $10K once the election comes around.

Yeh, so that's why voters will flock to John McSame, to preserve the policies that put us in that position...

How dim. As usual, the rightwing can embrace obvious oxymorons and contradiction w/o even the slightest hesitation...

Sinsear

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2007

Can I get a piece of the action as well? I'll call it for McCain right now.

Come November, "goddamn America" will be plastered everywhere and get that 53% of the country that elected Bush back out there.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Sinsear

You're on. $100. We agree on a third party, and both paypal that amount to them to hold, so there's no weaseling out.

I'm taking either Dem nominee over McSame.

Put up or shut up.

Sinsear

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2007
Originally posted by: Perknose

You're on. $100. We agree on a third party, and both paypal that amount to them to hold, so there's no weaseling out.

Put up or shut up.

You're on. No problem. You come up with the 3rd party (a respected member with decent heat) and PM me the payment details.

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007

Put up or shut up.

You're on. No problem. You come up with the 3rd party (a respected member with decent heat) and PM me the payment details.

I propose a sticky thread.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Since the talk of gambling is going on, I'd like to offer my services as a third-party holding the money. My fee is 10%, strong references available upon request. Oh hell, ebay and heat are under bamacre. :D

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Let's take this to pm. :thumbsup:

daveymark

Lifer
Sep 15, 2003
Originally posted by: Mxylplyx

Put up or shut up.

I propose a sticky thread.

can others get in on the action? also, is $100 the limit?