For the first time this election season

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007
Seeing the dems, and the DNC, still focused on their own primary contests while the Republicans are busy with the general campaign has made me call into question my once held notion that this election is a shoe in for a democrat. While the media if focused on the democrats 90% of the time, the seldom reported story is that the RNC is smashing the DNC in fundraising. I also have no doubt that the RNC attach machine, which most would agree is much more effective that the DNC machine, is hard at work digging up dirt on Obama, something that the media has not done, probably to Obama's own peril. I believe once the dems finally nominate Obama, the Republicans are going to be able to launch one attack after another, a shock and awe campaign if you will, and wont even have to space them out given the short general election the democrats are allowing themselves. I believe Obama supporters are going to be screaming bloody murder when someone finally takes the gloves off on their candidate, and I think the public will start to view Obama as a wimp. McCain has been in office for over 20yrs, so I doubt the DNC machine will be able to answer the attacks with any stunning revelations about McCain that we dont already know.

Text

Are the dems going to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory once again? I'm starting to think so.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
For my part, I have always believed that the Democrats had a strong chance of finding a way to lose.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
That would be a hell of a bad campaign if you can?t take advantage of the last seven years.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Did you see the dotard, McCain being nudged my Lieberman in Iraq on his comment that everybody knows Iran is training Al Quaeda? Geez it was painful and sad.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: PingSpike
For my part, I have always believed that the Democrats had a strong chance of finding a way to lose.

If the fail after 8 years of Bush, they might as well just quit

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007
Originally posted by: Nitemare

They failed after 4 didnt they?

Foxery

Golden Member
Jan 24, 2008
Don't underestimate the psychological effect of "familiarity." Plenty of less-educated folks who rely on the evening news as their sole source of political information see Clinton's and Obama's faces more often than ads for Pepsi and Pizza Hut. To uncommitted voters who might not have a strong opinion on simple party-specific issues like guns, gays, and abortion, the dems get a lot of attention from reporters who are awfully excited about it, while McCain doesn't appear particularly interesting or energetic. It's stupid, but the media does affect people who are less educated than yourself.

Granted, plenty of people this simple minded don't have the motivation to show up to vote, either, but they're out there. Any sort of statistical group you care to create probably has an opposite.

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007
Originally posted by: Foxery
Don't underestimate the psychological effect of "familiarity." Plenty of less-educated folks who rely on the evening news as their sole source of political information see Clinton's and Obama's faces more often than ads for Pepsi and Pizza Hut. To uncommitted voters who might not have a strong opinion on simple party-specific issues like guns, gays, and abortion, the dems get a lot of attention from reporters who are awfully excited about it, while McCain doesn't appear particularly interesting or energetic. It's stupid, but the media does affect people who are less educated than yourself.

Granted, plenty of people this simple minded don't have the motivation to show up to vote, either, but they're out there. Any sort of statistical group you care to create probably has an opposite.

I see your point, but on the other hand these less-educated folk are also extremely familiar with gray haired, old white men for president. I'm limiting this to hill billies and old people, because the mostly uneducated black population arent really a wild card since they are always reliable democrats.

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
The Republicans need not do anything but sit back and fund raise.

The Democrats are destroying themselves: focusing on race, gender, and rock-star politics. Anything but the issues. All the while, McCain travels abroad and takes the high road.

All I know is that my GF, who is an independent, is leaning towards McCain more and more by the day. Obama will not get her vote.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Originally posted by: GTaudiophile

The Democrats are destroying themselves: focusing on race, gender, and rock-star politics. Anything but the issues. All the while, McCain travels abroad and takes the high road.

All I know is that my GF, who is an independent, is leaning towards McCain more and more by the day. Obama will not get her vote.

The high road of doling out blatent misinformation

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007
Originally posted by: Deeko

Say what you will. Above the emotional pleas, attacks, etc sits well tuned party machines whose job it is to form perceptions and get their candidates elected. Screaming comments like that from the hilltops is not enough to get a democrat elected, which is something the RNC machine seems to understand a bit better than the democrats.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Wishful thinking. The economy hasn't even started to seize up yet. McCane can do his best to focus on the war but people are going to have to judge which they're more frightened of: Al Qaeda in Iraq or being jobless/homeless.

Hunger trumps all.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Originally posted by: Mxylplyx
Originally posted by: Deeko

Say what you will. Above the emotional pleas, attacks, etc sits well tuned party machines whose job it is to form perceptions and get their candidates elected. Screaming comments like that from the hilltops is not enough to get a democrat elected, which is something the RNC machine seems to understand a bit better than the democrats.

What? That's moronic. He is in a position right now where he can barely hurt himself until the general election campaigns, yet he finds a way. That's all I'm getting at.

jalaram

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000

The Democrats can be counted on to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. :)

Crap. Just noticed that the OP already said that. :eek:

bl4ckfl4g

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2007
I think Dems will lose because I'll vote for McCain over Hillary if she steals this from Obama. Alot of people would vote for Hillary but McCain over Obama. So dems will stay divided and McCain will get to be pres for a year or 2 before he croaks. I'm anxious to see who his vp nominee is.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Wishful thinking. The economy hasn't even started to seize up yet. McCane can do his best to focus on the war but people are going to have to judge which they're more frightened of: Al Qaeda in Iraq or being jobless/homeless. Hunger trumps all.
It appears that the economy, WoT and Iraq are taking center stage for this Election year...recent polls suggest that border security and health care are taking a back seat to concerns about the recession, and America's desire for a quick result in Iraq/Afghanistan, not to mention a continued strategic vision for containing Al Quaida/Islamic extremism.

The problem for Obama and Clinton is that McCain is virtually tied with both of them on these two issues.

McCain has a lead in voter confidence on national security and foreign policy.
McCain is essentially tied with both Obama and Clinton on voter confidence in steering the economy.
In terms of national election polling, all three candidates are statistically tied, which again raises the question of why Democrats are not polling better for the General Election given voter dissatisfaction with the Bush Administration...apparently the Bush effect is not sticking to McCain.

Once step further, McCain's platform is actually more progressive than that of Hillary's or Obama's, considering that his vision is one of how America competes in a global economy, while Obama and Clinton talk about taking steps towards economic isolation...history is not on their side.

Similarly, the Obama and Hillary competition has worn the luster on both of those candidates...the mud slinging from both sides has essentially drawn into question the qualifications of either candidate.

pstylesss

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007
Originally posted by: Dari
Wishful thinking. The economy hasn't even started to seize up yet. McCane can do his best to focus on the war but people are going to have to judge which they're more frightened of: Al Qaeda in Iraq or being jobless/homeless.

Hunger trumps all.

If the economy is still the main issue in 8 months, their best bet is Hillary. I say this because of how "great the 90s were" like it was all Bill's doing.

Besides all the promises that Obama is making, he isn't very qualified to make sound economic decisions, to my knowledge at least.

People vote their pocketbook, and because of that any Dem will have an uphill battle. They are already promising increases in taxes.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Republicans should just stand back and let Obama and Hillary duke it out. Well maybe fuel the flames a little bit. You cant expect the press to truly be vindictive toward a Democrat much less a Black Democratic Candidate.

The press just likes controversy because it raises the ratings. This is almost as good as "I did not have sexual relations with that woman!"

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
When the worst we can get is McCain, Democrats really can't lose this election season.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: ZeroIQ
Originally posted by: Dari

Hunger trumps all.

If the economy is still the main issue in 8 months, their best bet is Hillary. I say this because of how "great the 90s were" like it was all Bill's doing.

Besides all the promises that Obama is making, he isn't very qualified to make sound economic decisions, to my knowledge at least.

People vote their pocketbook, and because of that any Dem will have an uphill battle. They are already promising increases in taxes.

Source?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Obama will try to bring us together so naturally all the sociopath, bigots, fanatics and goons will try to rip us apart.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005

Incumbent war presidents do not lose elections. Ever. Blame the dems if you want.

As to 08, it's always been a posibility the dems could lose, but McCain poses the most dangerous threat of the Rep field. If it had been Huck or Romney I'd not be worried. But a moderate Rep shouldn't be counted out.

Look at the polls. When asked if someone prefered a dem or a rep as the next president, dems win by over 12% pts. But when asked about Hil/Ob vs Mc, it's almost always within the margin of error. People don't vote for parties, they vote for people.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Obama will try to bring us together so naturally all the sociopath, bigots, fanatics and goons will try to rip us apart.

Right, and insulting those who disagree with your views is the best way to bring us together? :roll:

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: Starbuck1975
Wishful thinking. The economy hasn't even started to seize up yet. McCane can do his best to focus on the war but people are going to have to judge which they're more frightened of: Al Qaeda in Iraq or being jobless/homeless. Hunger trumps all.
It appears that the economy, WoT and Iraq are taking center stage for this Election year...recent polls suggest that border security and health care are taking a back seat to concerns about the recession, and America's desire for a quick result in Iraq/Afghanistan, not to mention a continued strategic vision for containing Al Quaida/Islamic extremism.

The problem for Obama and Clinton is that McCain is virtually tied with both of them on these two issues.

McCain has a lead in voter confidence on national security and foreign policy.
McCain is essentially tied with both Obama and Clinton on voter confidence in steering the economy.
In terms of national election polling, all three candidates are statistically tied, which again raises the question of why Democrats are not polling better for the General Election given voter dissatisfaction with the Bush Administration...apparently the Bush effect is not sticking to McCain.

Once step further, McCain's platform is actually more progressive than that of Hillary's or Obama's, considering that his vision is one of how America competes in a global economy, while Obama and Clinton talk about taking steps towards economic isolation...history is not on their side.

Similarly, the Obama and Hillary competition has worn the luster on both of those candidates...the mud slinging from both sides has essentially drawn into question the qualifications of either candidate.

Nail on the head. We're heading towards a nosedive recession and they want to RESTRICT global trade? That's like telling people they aren't allowed to work. Most people aren't economists, but shit that is just common sense.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: senseamp
Originally posted by: Moonbeam

Right, and insulting those who disagree with your views is the best way to bring us together? :roll:

Blaming whitey (talking about his "great" racist speech yesterday, NOT Wright's) for the black community's troubles then reaching out for their vote doesn't work either.

It's quite ironic that he, as a fake African American, was able to rise above and go to frickin Harvard (probably on a free ride) and he's using black plight as his platform.