For the betterment of BOINC (primegrid discussion) and a new model for volunteer computing

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

StefanR5R

Platinum Member
Dec 10, 2016
As several posters have noted in this upstream thread http://boinc.berkeley.edu/forum_thread.php?id=12623 and certainly elsewhere,
  • user credits,
  • team affiliation and maybe country affiliation,
  • forum involvement
are pretty essential features that need to be supported by Science United for it to have a chance to take off — even though some prospective contributors do not care for one or another of these features. I haven't looked around to find out what David Anderson's opinion and plans on this are.

But AFAIU, the deeper question beneath it all is, how can BOINC platform development and support be funded? If the Science United project provides a partial solution to this for three years at least, than that's already something positive, IMO. (Though how effective it is in this regard, remains to be measured by those in a position to do so.)

Apr 15, 2014
Well... it has already been funded for about a year. The funding is for development just as BOINC was. After that, it is to be thrown to the public like BOINC from what I understand....

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
I'm cool with that as long as they continue to give us a choice. :)

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS