For the betterment of BOINC (primegrid discussion) and a new model for volunteer computing

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by kowalabearhugs, Jul 28, 2017.

1. kowalabearhugs

The BOINC Work Group committee is researching "how BOINC can be made more user friendly, easier for anyone to set up their own short- or long term project, and for the community to join in on those endeavours. The goal is to get more people to run BOINC, to join in coding all parts that make BOINC (client, manager, web site, forums, projects, etc.), to test everything, to get them to set up their own projects, to make BOINC a future-proof and reliable brand that isn't dependent on any one person in particular."

Being one of the larger projects, Primegrid is hosting a discussion: https://www.primegrid.com/forum_thread.php?id=7538&sort=6

This is inline with the NFS funding a new model for BOINC : http://boinc.berkeley.edu/tbd.php
    Relevant discussion: https://boinc.berkeley.edu/dev/forum_thread.php?id=11647#78714

Apologies if this discussion is already underway elsewhere. I didn't see a relevant thread.

#1 kowalabearhugs, Jul 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads - betterment BOINC (primegrid Forum Date
    curious.. which is better for F@H?? Distributed Computing Dec 19, 2016
    What is everybody crunching lately? And which is a better GPU for such, AMD or NV? Distributed Computing Oct 21, 2013
    OT: Questions re: new math proof have been better received Distributed Computing Aug 8, 2011
    Anybody doing F@H with an I7 ? 920 ? @ 4 ghz or better ? Distributed Computing Oct 28, 2009
    BOINC and a computer farm: what is better? Distributed Computing Sep 18, 2005

3. crashtech

crashtech Diamond Member

Interesting info, thank you! I think you may be missing one of the links though, it looks like two are the same right now.

4. kowalabearhugs

Thank you. I have updated the post.

5. TennesseeTony

TennesseeTony Elite Member

If they want to get more people into DC they only need to get front page tech-site articles here and there, like in the old days, when Anand reported on computer stuff instead of the latest cell phone. Last December's race did wonders for our TeAm, due to a bit of front page coverage.

6. petrusbroder

petrusbroder Elite Member

Interesting reads. I have to think about this ...

7. crashtech

crashtech Diamond Member

I wondered if any improvements could make it to the existing BOINC client, or if all the effort will go to the new client.

8. Markfw

Markfw CPU Moderator VC&G Moderator Elite Member
    Super Moderator

I think that if the projects were explained as to how they could better mankind, like curing cancer, then more would join. Personally, I could care less about the biggest prime number ever. How does that benefit mankind ?

9. Thebobo

Thebobo Diamond Member

I only do Seti now, because it interest me. For me maybe the different projects could better be explained with how Bionic and its projects have contributed to research and list any breakthroughs directly contributed to Bionic.

TennesseeTony likes this.
  10. Kiska

Kiska Senior member

I mean if you look closely, there are research papers that mention how BOINC has helped their research