For pet owners..how did you find your pet?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Turin39789

Lifer
Nov 21, 2000
Wife got the yorkie after her father gave up on potty-training it. It was her sisters, then her fathers, and then it was either for her to take or it was going to the shelter. A addition to her college rental house. Later a 'friend' of her gave her a cat as a present, out of the wild blue yonder.

We were out to valentines day dinner while dating when I got my mutt, I was thinking of getting a corgi or other mid-size mutt model for my apartment. Our waitress was telling the table next to us that her parents had puppies to get rid of, they had been born on the farm after a wandering stranger visited their bitch. Apparently one of the pups had been taken by a predator(I believe she said it was a bird, which I suppose is possible but never seemed likely). She said they were border collie/shepherd mixes, which sounded a little big for the apartment I shared but I said what the hell, the dog will be smarter than I am. I came back a few weeks later to get my new dog and it was an orange ball of fluff, I imagine she is 75% chow. Still smarter than me though.

We got our Dane through petfinder from a rescue after looking for a long time. He is a hyper active ridiculous monster who has finally semi-calmed down but is probably going to be at least half lunatic till he keels over. Also a sweetheart.

We are probably going to let our dog count get down to 1 before we even think of getting another. We volunteered with the humane society for a long time, and our next dog will probably be from there. Lots of great dogs coming through all the time. The only exception is if we get another giant breed, we will probably want to try one from a puppy next time.

boomhower

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2007
Internet. I knew what breed of dog I wanted but it is not a real popular dog around here. I ended up meeting the breeder at an airport about an hour and a half away since he was shipping some out via air.

Dryst999

Feb 25, 2010
Why are backyard breeders a bad idea? It's not like a puppy mill, the majority of dogs I've had in my life are from the local newspaper sold by backyard breeders, haven't had a health issue yet.

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Dog 1 came with my wife, not sure how she got her, I think out of the paper from someone
Dog 2 came from a breeder
Dog 3 came from a rescue org
Cat came from a rescue org

Bignate603

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Our dog came from a shelter. He was only 4 months old but had been picked up as a stray. After being on the streets the little guy was so skinny his ribs were showing. Now that he's healthy he's a great little dog.

I agree with the people that recommend going to a shelter. We went to a bunch looking until we found the dog we wanted. Don't give up after just one shelter and don't settle on a dog you think is just ok. When you find the right one you'll know.

NuclearNed

Raconteur
May 18, 2001
Our dog came from the pound. We were her 3rd or 4th owner. She was 4 months old, but very big & full of energy, so the previous owners decided they couldn't handle her. Because of this, she was on the doggy green mile. We were her last hope, and she's been a wonderful dog for nearly 10 years.

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
Cat 1 came from the Humane Society.
Cat 2 came from the alley during a rain storm. She was a tiny, wet, dying, flea infested kitten.

We didn't want a second cat, but we couldn't let it die.
We are also glad we got the second one because they are companions and keep each other entertained.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Our dog came from the pound. We were her 3rd or 4th owner. She was 4 months old, but very big & full of energy, so the previous owners decided they couldn't handle her. Because of this, she was on the doggy green mile. We were her last hope, and she's been a wonderful dog for nearly 10 years.

It's amazing how many people don't know what they're getting into when they get a puppy. I adopted a ten month old Ridgeback last summer and he was probably the most high energy puppy I've met. But now at 21 months, he's calmed down so much and is so chill. I'm sure the previous owners would want him back in a heartbeat.

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
I'm planning to get a cat "soon" (should I get two so they have company?) and I have a hard time thinking about it. I'm a big softy for animals, and if I go to a shelter I'm going to want to take them all home with me. I would feel so bad picking one cat and seeing / hearing the others.

:(

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
We got our dog at the local animal shelter, she was 4 months old and abandoned. We've had her for almost 12 years now.

The cat I got from a co-worker. She was on her way to the shelter when I said I'd take her.

Felisity

Sep 1, 2002
Rescue.

There are some states who still use the gas chamber as a means of putting animals down. Some rescues focus on states like North Carolina and the shelters there - working to get animals out of these inhumane and horrible conditions and into loving homes. This was what hubby and I did. It felt wonderful knowing we saved a life.

If you are on the eastern seaboard or in New England - I would suggest: http://www.helpsaveone.org/

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
SPCA shelter....best $35 I ever spent! Every day I ask myself why anyone would have given this dog up. Their loss, I guess.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Stopped in at the pet shelter a couple times and browsed the row looking for the one that barked the least. Saw one that was currled in a ball and then got up tail wagging when I came by and just calmly stood at the front of the kennel while the staff got a collar and leash out for me to greet the dog.

She was good on a leash, fully housebroken and knew all basic commands. She came from a house with kids and the parents were going through a divorce and neither wanted the dog. So she came home with us.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
SPCA shelter....best $35 I ever spent! Every day I ask myself why anyone would have given this dog up. Their loss, I guess.

No kidding. Our dog is a loveable lump that doesn't bark, is great with kids and doesn't doing anything majorly destructive. (I've learned not keep food in my work backpack!). She was fully housebroken and only had a few accidents that weren't our fault (put her in basement when she was sick a few times).

It's not like she was high maintenance, destructive, or aggressive. A great family pet.

Feb 16, 2005
I'm planning to get a cat "soon" (should I get two so they have company?) and I have a hard time thinking about it. I'm a big softy for animals, and if I go to a shelter I'm going to want to take them all home with me. I would feel so bad picking one cat and seeing / hearing the others.

:(

If you get two, try to get siblings if they're older (2 years on), and 2 cats are better than one, especially for entertainment purposes. And if you're gone for most of the day at work they can romp and play.

Theb

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
I got him from the Humane Society.

clyde1.jpg

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
No kidding. Our dog is a loveable lump that doesn't bark, is great with kids and doesn't doing anything majorly destructive. (I've learned not keep food in my work backpack!). She was fully housebroken and only had a few accidents that weren't our fault (put her in basement when she was sick a few times).

It's not like she was high maintenance, destructive, or aggressive. A great family pet.

They told us she killed a chicken. This is a bit unbelievable considering she is a 16lb Shih Tzu mix...but then again, like many dogs she does love to chase birds, squirrels and other critters and I have to imagine that if she happened to catch one of these critters it would not end well for the critter. Still, it would be hard for me to blame the dog for this if it happened...it's what dogs do.

Otherwise, my experience mirrors yours....my dog's worst offenses that could not be attributed to her getting sick or owner error pretty much consist of barking at bigger dogs when we're out walking and laying on the white couches no matter how many times I try to stop and correct her!

Juddog

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 2006
All of mine have been adopted from shelters. Typically the shelter will handle the proper shots, etc..