For pet owners..how did you find your pet?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SR1729

Jan 11, 2010
My finance and I adopted this dog from the shelter and after two days with us it seriously walked off and never came back. We let her out to go to the bathroom and run around a little bit and when we called her she never came back. I don't know if it didn't like us, we smelled bad, or someone took him or something. She seemed to like us and would sit with us on the couch and lay on our bed with us. We looked around and stuff but we never did find out what happened to her.

dog2.jpg

dog-2.jpg

Were you and your fiance HIGH when you let her outside ... alone ... with no fence ... and no leash?

They should make sure people can breathe unassisted before letting them adopt a pet. Same goes for driving.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Craigslist. We waited for a long time for a pug to show up on CL (the local rescue is kind of a pain in the ass to deal with) and one day I stumbled across a 5 year old pug that needed to be rehomed due to his owners losing their home to foreclosure. Got him the next day, been a perfect dog ever since.

We got our cat from the humane society.

xCxStylex

Apr 6, 2003
I'm going to chime in that it was downright irresponsible and immature to not put a collar on ASAP with a contact phone number.

Then again we could just be trolled.

My finance and I adopted this dog from the shelter and after two days with us it seriously walked off and never came back. We let her out to go to the bathroom and run around a little bit and when we called her she never came back. I don't know if it didn't like us, we smelled bad, or someone took him or something. She seemed to like us and would sit with us on the couch and lay on our bed with us. We looked around and stuff but we never did find out what happened to her.

dog2.jpg

dog-2.jpg

Were you and your fiance HIGH when you let her outside ... alone ... with no fence ... and no leash?

They should make sure people can breathe unassisted before letting them adopt a pet. Same goes for driving.

Gibsons

Lifer
Aug 14, 2001
My cat was found by a friend of mine in the tall grass median of a very busy road. Still not quite sure how I ended up with him, but 13 years later he's still driving me crazy. ;)

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
Well, a friend of a friend had a litter of 5 kittens, four of them were perfectly good, playful, loving kittens, the 5th, the only gray kitten in the bunch was a neurotic cat with psychotic traits...

Guess which kitten I took home, lol! :)

roguerower

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 2004
Bought my boa from a herp store. Legit place whose owner had a reptile rescue place. She's a little over 5' in length now.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Dog from "back yard breeder" - neighbors boxer got in with their lab. Lab/boxer mix. Outstanding dog, about 12 years old now & still going strong.

Great Pyrenees came from another goat breeder who bred their pyr to a relative's pyr. Another wonderful dog.

Littlest dog also came from a "back yard breeder" - another outstanding dog. Of course, having done our research, we knew what to watch for & what we were getting ourselves into with each dog.

And the goats - we've only purchased goats for our herd in the past from well respected breeders in the business. The herds we got our goats from are disease free, as is our herd. Tomorrow's another biennial test for certain diseases that are pretty widespread. We're certain we don't have those diseases present in our herd, but have to go through a certification process. So, the vet comes to the farm tomorrow & draws blood from 40 or 50 different goats. 2 years from now, we can be certified disease free.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
If you are interested in a particular breed, most larger cities have breed specific rescues. For a great mutt, try the local humane society or local shelters.

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009
was sitting outside my office window at work on a monday morning
sheldon001.jpg

visited him once when he arrived at the humane society and knew for sure he was coming home

4mo old

6 months now, and still a damn terror

friggin puppies

toddlers with sharper teeth!

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
I really recommend (and CaptCaveman can back this up) that everyone checks out:

www.petfinder.com

first. Save a pet before you 'buy' a pet. There are tons of great animals there.