Discussion [for people interested in arm cpus] can we please stop raving at how fast a12 and a13

the2199

Oct 17, 2019
apple a13 and a12 are the fastest arm cpu in the world is they are about 30% to 50% faster than the pinned 855 there is no denying that .but having the fastest hardware means nothing. if you don't have the software that fully utilizes the hardware. and I am not talking about optimization .because ios is optimized it is like giving someone r9 3900x and rtx 2080ti but the machine is running windows 10 S and it can not be changed and most average iphone users install facebook and Instagram and play candy crush. and I really really doubt that these three apps are really benefitting from running on the fastest arm cpu in the world .when it comes to IOS the software is the BOTTLENECK

and this may sound like I am anti apple but in fact, I am starting to less and less like android every year. a few years ago android was ios killer for me. but since android 9 it turns into ios alternative rather than a killer. android is going in a downhill just like Microsoft did to windows
see this, for example,
Google is making storage slower
and people that replaced their hhd with SSD can see how storage speed is important. apps open faster because your storage is fast not because cpu is faster or ram is bigger. and linus from linus tech tips said
OnePlus 7 Pro The Fastest Android I've Used
and guess what OnePlus 7 use ufs 3.0 with is faster than ufs 2.1 wich other phone use
it is not about bashing apple it is about giving credit when credit is due and not giving credit when it is not due

Last edited:

arandomguy

Sep 3, 2013
Support software like everything else within the ARM ecosystem is also progressing.

I doubt anyone is predicting that ARM will replace x86 any time soon it however is making large inroads, especially in the consumer space (you could make the argument that ARM has already overtaken x86 for the consumer market as a whole).

chrisjames61

Dec 31, 2013
apple a13 and a12 are the fastest arm cpu in the world is they are about 30% to 50% faster than the pinned 855 there is no denying that .but having the fastest hardware means nothing. if you don't have the software that fully utilizes the hardware. and I am not talking about optimization .because ios is optimized it is like giving someone r9 3900x and rtx 2080ti but the machine is running windows 10 S and it can not be changed and most average iphone users install facebook and Instagram and play candy crush. and I really really doubt that these three apps are really benefitting from running on the fastest arm cpu in the world .when it comes to IOS the software is the BOTTLENECK

So? Your point is? Actually you make very little sense tbh.

joesiv

Mar 21, 2019
It's kind of funny because software is probably one of Apples strongpoints. Since they control the whole stack, from hardware,firmware,os and applications, they have full control over the user experience, and can make things very fluid (optimized).

IOS was the first mobile OS to support smooth 60fps (dat butter), long long before android. IOS tends to have a very slick feel because of full software optimization for their hardware.

What a strange thread this is... (not to mention a cross post from the other thread you posted it in)

Reactions: killster1

the2199

Oct 17, 2019
IOS was the first mobile OS to support smooth 60fps (dat butter), long long before android. IOS tends to have a very slick feel because of full software optimization for their hardware
thet was in the 2012-2015 era. but android did catch up and now there are android phones with 90hz and 120hz display. android was slower, in the beginning, compare to ios there is no denying that. but not anymore

soresu

Platinum Member
Dec 19, 2014
thet was in the 2012-2015 era. but android did catch up and now there are android phones with 90hz and 120hz display. android was slower, in the beginning, compare to ios there is no denying that. but not anymore
I strongly suspect that the mysterious and much rumoured Fuchsia OS is in fact not designed to replace Android or Chrome OS in the way people think.

I suspect that like with Windows 9x and NT, Fuchsia will replace the internals of Android and Chrome OS, leaving it a potentially faster, streamlined and much more capable platform that can still run Android apps, possibly even Linux too.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007

and this may sound like I am anti apple but in fact, I am starting to less and less like android every year. a few years ago android was ios killer for me. but since android 9 it turns into ios alternative rather than a killer. android is going in a downhill just like Microsoft did to windows
see this, for example,
Google is making storage slower
and people that replaced their hhd with SSD can see how storage speed is important. apps open faster because your storage is fast not because cpu is faster or ram is bigger. and linus from linus tech tips said

and guess what OnePlus 7 use ufs 3.0 with is faster than ufs 2.1 wich other phone use
it is not about bashing apple it is about giving credit when credit is due and not giving credit when it is not due
what are you trying to do with your phone? i agree faster storage is very much a plus in many diff ways (taking pictures is most important to my storage speed needs) i dont encode videos or anything exciting on my galaxy s10+ nor my xs max iphone so.. they both work just as i like them to. (i even turn down the cpu speed on galaxy s10 to give longer battery life)

fkoehler

Feb 29, 2008
More likely is that Risc V is going to start eating into ARM's market share from the bottom up.
IIRC, WD is already transitioning all their products to it.

Debateable whether ARM has missed it chance.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Western Digital has their own RISC-V core, SweRV. Not sure how they will use it in their products, though. It might be a suitable replacement for ARM in small devices that need something ultra-low power, which is where tiny ARM cores have been popular for years. ARM is growing up, though. I'm not sure it needs that market anymore? Maybe it does.