For People going to colleges..

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ArmchairAthlete

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2002
Least expensive public schools -------------------School Price

1. University of Nevada -- Reno, Nev. $2,682
2. Florida State University -- Tallahassee, Fla. $2,890
3. San Diego State University -- San Diego, Calif. $2,936
4. University of Florida -- Gainesville, Fla. $2,955
5. Florida Atlantic University -- Boca Raton, Fla. $3,092
6. Texas A&M University -- Kingsville, Texas $3,109
7. Florida International University -- Miami, Fla. $3,156
8. University of South Florida -- Tampa, Fla. $3,167
9. University of Central Florida -- Orlando, Fla. $3,180
10. University of Nevada -- Las Vegas, Nev. $3,210

Georgia Institute of Technology -- $0*

*As an in state student who can keep at least a 3.0.

Well, tuition is just one cost.

acemcmac

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: mwtgg
Originally posted by: acemcmac
Originally posted by: EyeMWing
Originally posted by: mzkhadir
Most expensive public schools -------------------School Price

1. Penn State University -- University Park, Pa. $10,856

Penn State is technically a private school that performs the functions of a public school because PA is too broken to have a real public school. So in reality, it's the least expensive private school.

We do to have state schools in PA! :| Something like 14 of them and Penn State is not one of them

:laugh: at my GF. She goes to a catholic college that costs more than the most expensive schools on that list AND has the added benefit of allowing complete retards (sub 850 SAT's) to walk out with 3.9's.....

Does that include your girlfriend?

actually... yeah..... :thumbsup:

your attempt at continuing to troll on me and pick fights with me :thumbsdown:

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
Originally posted by: Jzero

Penn State is technically a private school that performs the functions of a public school because PA is too broken to have a real public school. So in reality, it's the least expensive private school.

Penn State is a "state-related" school. Ostensibly, it functions no differently from any other public school, so there's no reason for it to be listed any other way. The out-of-state tuition for PSU is over $20k. That's not that cheap...

Pennyslvania does have "normal" public schools - West Chester, Millersville, Shippensburg, Cheyney, Edinboro, IUP, Kutztown, Bloomsburg, York and a few others that you probably never have heard of.

Frankly, I never understood why you would go to a state college in another state unless you were getting a juicy scholarship or the school was particularly well-known for the field you wish to study. NJ residents could go to Rutgers for under $10k or PSU for over $20k....and people actually GO to PSU!

QFT
Semantics of PSU being public or private aside, since it doesn't really matter because MSN sucks at providing factual information in these retarded features...

I think the main reason people go to out-of-state state-schools is because they want to get away from their high school crowd. That certainly weighed in on my decision.

acemcmac

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003

Penn State is a "state-related" school. Ostensibly, it functions no differently from any other public school, so there's no reason for it to be listed any other way. The out-of-state tuition for PSU is over $20k. That's not that cheap...

Pennyslvania does have "normal" public schools - West Chester, Millersville, Shippensburg, Cheyney, Edinboro, IUP, Kutztown, Bloomsburg, York and a few others that you probably never have heard of.

Frankly, I never understood why you would go to a state college in another state unless you were getting a juicy scholarship or the school was particularly well-known for the field you wish to study. NJ residents could go to Rutgers for under $10k or PSU for over $20k....and people actually GO to PSU!

QFT
Semantics of PSU being public or private aside, since it doesn't really matter because MSN sucks at providing factual information in these retarded features...

I think the main reason people go to out-of-state state-schools is because they want to get away from their high school crowd. That certainly weighed in on my decision.

QFT on MSN being useless

Wouldn't working full time while you're in college provide the same effect? ;)

<<< went to a college closer to home than my highschool

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003

We do to have state schools in PA! :| Something like 14 of them and Penn State is not one of them

:laugh: at my GF. She goes to a catholic college that costs more than the most expensive schools on that list AND has the added benefit of allowing complete retards (sub 850 SAT's) to walk out with 3.9's.....

Never said you didn't. I just said you're too broken to do it right.

acemcmac

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003

what's the right way :confused: There have got to be more than 150 greek organizations affiliated with the state system.... a quarter million students and faculty... hundreds of fully deputized police officers just to deal with the kids....

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003

QFT

QFT on MSN being useless

Wouldn't working full time while you're in college provide the same effect? ;)

<<< went to a college closer to home than my highschool

Actually, where I'm going (PSU @ York) is closer than where they're all going (UMBC, Towson, UMCP) :p

But the thing is that most Marylanders like to pretend PA isn't up there - I mean, ew. The amish are humping our state. I, on the other hand, recognize the opportunity to get away from the fscktards, spend less, spend less on gas getting there, and not have to pay exhorbitant prices for housing.

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

That seems like a crazy reason to have to come up with an additional $10k/year!

I didn't have much trouble avoiding people from my high school. In fact the one or two people that I DID want to see, I could never seem to get together with them because we were all so busy with other things.

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003

what's the right way :confused: There have got to be more than 150 greek organizations affiliated with the state system.... a quarter million students and faculty... hundreds of fully deputized police officers just to deal with the kids....

I have no idea, but I guarantee you're doing something wrong. It's Pennsylvania, ferchrissake.

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003

That seems like a crazy reason to have to come up with an additional $10k/year!

I didn't have much trouble avoiding people from my high school. In fact the one or two people that I DID want to see, I could never seem to get together with them because we were all so busy with other things.

Personally, I saved $1.5k. Which is, uh, sick.

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
You saved $1.5k compared to what school? UMD?

UMBC, actually. This is all told, though. Tuition, fees, gas, time blown in traffic getting there, financial aid, work, etc. If I remember back to this time last year, all the savings comes from working instead of sitting in traffic twice a day, which is, frankly, something genius that nobody ever would have considered (except me. I hate traffic.)

RedCOMET

Platinum Member
Jul 8, 2002
Originally posted by: Bucks
meh..I go to University of Pittsburgh....

Same here.

I wisht the article did a side by side comparison for in state and out of state tuition cost.

eLiu

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2001
Most expensive private schools ---------------School Price

1. Sarah Lawrence College -- Bronxville, N.Y. $32,416
2. Kenyon College -- Gambier, Ohio $32,170
3. Trinity College -- Hartford, Conn. $31,940
4. George Washington University -- Washington, D.C. $31,710
5. Hamilton College -- Clinton, N.Y. $31,700
6. Bowdoin College -- Brunswick, Maine $31,656
7. Wesleyan University -- Middletown, Conn. $31,650
8. Columbia University -- New York, N.Y. $31,472
9. Colgate University -- Hamilton, N.Y. $31,440
10. Pitzer College -- Claremont, Calif. $31,438
Are most of these places even remotely worth that kind of money...? Good god. I think I've only heard of Columbia & Wesleyan (isn't that an all girls school?).

mwtgg

Lifer
Dec 6, 2001
I have no idea, but I guarantee you're doing something wrong. It's Pennsylvania, ferchrissake.

Maybe they don't want to associate PSU, Temple, or Pitt (let's be honest, Lincoln U doesn't count) with the other crappy 'state schools'. I would say the best 'state school' is West Chester, but that's saying a lot.

Oh yeah, hi ace :brokenheart:

Feb 19, 2001
Originally posted by: eLiu

Are most of these places even remotely worth that kind of money...? Good god. I think I've only heard of Columbia & Wesleyan (isn't that an all girls school?).

Dude I bet you there are about 100 other schools if not 1000 that cost over $30k.

List them. USC, NYU, Stanfurd, Cornell... You need 40k a year. Subtract housing and books and you got 30k.

Trinity is good.
GWU is good.
Columbia is awesome for med.
Bowdoin is a kick@$$ liberal arts school
So is Pitzer (Claremont schools).

WTF these are all very reputable colleges. I think you just don't know enough colleges =P. It's not all about Ivies and "Wannabe Ivies" (WUSTL, Stanfurd)

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: DLeRium
Originally posted by: eLiu

Dude I bet you there are about 100 other schools if not 1000 that cost over $30k.

List them. USC, NYU, Stanfurd, Cornell... You need 40k a year. Subtract housing and books and you got 30k.

Trinity is good.
GWU is good.
Columbia is awesome for med.
Bowdoin is a kick@$$ liberal arts school
So is Pitzer (Claremont schools).

WTF these are all very reputable colleges. I think you just don't know enough colleges =P. It's not all about Ivies and "Wannabe Ivies" (WUSTL, Stanfurd)

yea they all do kick ass and there are a few great ones that cost slightly less apperently, most of those there are listed in the top 10 of the US news report thing in their respective catagorie

bowdin is in the top 5 and has been for years, ive seen it as high as 2 i think behind swathmore or williams in the top liberal arts list, i applied there, sadly didnt get in, my year about 8 thousand people applied for about 500 spots