For my Diablo 2 Brethren: Jeeebus' "Secret" to Farming Andy/Meph

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
Since so many people seem to be starting up again, figured I'd share a bit of tested and true knowledge to those doing long and tireless magic find runs on your boss of choice.

**Disclaimer** This ONLY works if you have more than one cd key (i.e. you can connect to the same game with 2x characters).

Alright, for this to work, you need a "game creator," a character that, depending on who you plan on killing, has not yet killed Andy or Mephisto (so you're either in A1 or A3), and another character that is presumably your MF character.

Lets start with Andy:

1. Create game with character that doesn't yet have the Andy quest done.
2. Join game with other character.
3. Have the two characters join party with each other (not confirmed whether this is necessary... need to do some more testing).
4. Tele to Cata 4 with your killing character.
5. Have game creator leave game (otherwise you get the quest and can no longer do this).
6. Kill Andy (profit)

Or with Meph:

Same basic steps, but it's best to do this without having done the Trav quest either. This way, you don't have to leave the game prior to killing Mephisto as the quest will not trigger without killing Trav first.

By doing this, you're not guaranteed gg drops, but you are guaranteed quest drops every single time you kill the boss... in other words, yellow (rare) items and above. You won't always get uniques, but your chances of getting one are exponentially higher.

*Caveat: Both characters must start in the same Act for this trick to work (not sure why, but it's true). So if you start the game with your game creator in Act 1, but your killer joins and is in Act 4, it won't work right.

In terms of who is best to farm, not sure yet, but my preliminary thoughts are that Andy drops more uniques than Meph.

**I am aware of another method that ppl swear by (at least with Andy) that does not require a 2nd character... involves talking to Warriv and bugging the quest, but I'm highly suspect of it as it's never worked for me.

Good luck to all.

CottonRabbit

Golden Member
Apr 28, 2005
The Warriv Andy bug is accepted as working on every D2 forum I've ever visited. Kill Andy for quest, talk to Warriv immediately without talking to anyone else, every kill from then on will be a quest drop. The bug also applies to Duriel, but noone runs him :).

Also, I prefer Meph. He's treasure class 78 while Andy is only 69, meaning Meph will drop many things Andy cannot. Pretty much the only high value unique that hell Andy can drop is HoZ. It doesn't hurt to do both in 1 run though.

Sutareteiru

Feb 28, 2008
So, if I kill meph in hell for the first time and then go to town and talk to warriv first it will bug?

CottonRabbit

Golden Member
Apr 28, 2005
No, it only applies to Andy and Duriel. For Duriel it involves talking to the necessary act 2 npcs to go to act 3.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
How do I join with another account using only one PC? Do I need to start a second LoD instance? And I do have two legit LoD copies, but only one legit D2 Classic copy, do I require only another LoD CD-Key or I also need another Classic CD-Key?

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
Originally posted by: Zenoth
How do I join with another account using only one PC? Do I need to start a second LoD instance? And I do have two legit LoD copies, but only one legit D2 Classic copy, do I require only another LoD CD-Key or I also need another Classic CD-Key?

I think you need two unique sets... classic and LoD. You can join multiple instances from the same PC using D2Loader and a cd key changer, like Onlyer's. pretty simple process.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Originally posted by: Jeeebus

I think you need two unique sets... classic and LoD. You can join multiple instances from the same PC using D2Loader and a cd key changer, like Onlyer's. pretty simple process.

Ah I see, well thanks for the information. I might pass on that if I do need another Classic copy, which I really don't feel like 1) searching for and 2) paying for.

dj2004

Platinum Member
Oct 8, 2004
It's amazing how old this method is yet how few people know it. There is another way that I did not see:
1) Create a new char and rush him past hell Meph.
2) Allow him to create all Meph run games and have your MF character join the game
3) For the MF character, he will not be able to complete the kill Meph quest since the game creator already beat the quest
4) Do your Meph MF run with the MF character and have him kill meph in that game
5) You will get the same results as posted above - quest drops every time since the MF character will never be truly completing the kill Meph quest

TecHNooB

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005
So how do you get your MF char to a high level without hell meph? NM Baal? T_T

Onita

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2004
Originally posted by: CottonRabbit
The Warriv Andy bug is accepted as working on every D2 forum I've ever visited. Kill Andy for quest, talk to Warriv immediately without talking to anyone else, every kill from then on will be a quest drop. The bug also applies to Duriel, but noone runs him :).

Also, I prefer Meph. He's treasure class 78 while Andy is only 69, meaning Meph will drop many things Andy cannot. Pretty much the only high value unique that hell Andy can drop is HoZ. It doesn't hurt to do both in 1 run though.

Cotton is correct. No need to have someone else bug Andy. Although I've heard, but am not positive, that you must wait for the portal to spawn after you kill Andy - not make your own TP. Anyone know if this is true?

Onita

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2004
Originally posted by: TecHNooB

Yeah, you can NM baal til like 75 or so, easily enough to kill Meph.

dj2004

Platinum Member
Oct 8, 2004
Originally posted by: rpkelly
Originally posted by: TecHNooB

Yeah, you can NM baal til like 75 or so, easily enough to kill Meph.

Yep, at lvl 75 one should have no trouble with getting to and killing Meph. Of course, if you use an Ali Baba/Skullders then your MF will be lower since leveling past 75 will be hard with no hell baal.

Vikroda

Apr 9, 2003
Originally posted by: Jeeebus

Thanks, Jeeebus. I found a tutorial of the process here Current d2loader . I was thinking about installing Dii on my work computer and then pcAnywhere'ing to it to get two session. Now I don't have to worry about lost productivity at work (but maybe more time spent at home...).

Zenoth, you can purchase another classic key for about $2 or $3 at g2buy.