For cheap build, choose extra RAM instead of discrete graphics card?

Alessandro

Oct 22, 2003
I'm looking to replace my mobo/processor/ram for about $300-350. I'm thinking a Skylake i5 for about $200, and a Gigabyte mobo for about $60. I don't play any games, I just watch youtube videos and do internet/writing/spreadsheets and also do data analysis (not using graphics card for the purpose of multiple processors for data analysis, I have access to EC2 and other clusters if needed for that). I suppose it would be desired to be able to watch 1080p videos (I don't need to now, but I suppose this would be a barometer of "good enough" video).

For these humble performance needs, what would be the best option:

8GB RAM with discrete video card (about $50 for a cheap vid card)
16GB RAM with integrated video

A main goal is to not have to do major additions to CPU/mobo/ram 3 years from now. In fact, my E7500 with 4GB of RAM from 2009 was serving me quite nicely (had a discrete but very bad video card from the same time period in that one), but unfortunately this died on me the other day.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
Integrated graphics is quite good these days. No reason for a $50 GPU.

RaistlinZ

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2001
The integrated is probably as good as anything you'd find for only $50.00.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
All of the above.

Just put it on more RAM if your going to spend it. That or just 8GB Ram and a perhaps a little more to put in a small SSD if you don't use one for the OS all ready.

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
8GB RAM with discrete video card (about $50 for a cheap vid card)
16GB RAM with integrated video
I'll go for the third option for your usage:
- 8GB RAM with integrated video
unless you are certain that you will use more than 8GB RAM (but it seems not, since you are also considering the 8GB RAM + graphics card option).

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
I'm looking to replace my mobo/processor/ram for about $300-350. I'm thinking a Skylake i5 for about $200, and a Gigabyte mobo for about $60. I don't play any games, I just watch youtube videos and do internet/writing/spreadsheets and also do data analysis (not using graphics card for the purpose of multiple processors for data analysis, I have access to EC2 and other clusters if needed for that). I suppose it would be desired to be able to watch 1080p videos (I don't need to now, but I suppose this would be a barometer of "good enough" video).

I'd at least consider a Skylake i3. An i3 6100 will do all you ask of it, and be a bit cheaper too. Use the money saved to buy a Z170 based board, and couple that i3 with some fast DDR4. If you don't have an SSD already, use your savings for one of those instead. Best upgrade you can make.

BTW, i3's and i5's share the same IGP (HD530), which is more then adequate for what you'll be using it for. No reason at all to go with a discrete card.

Alessandro

Oct 22, 2003
You guys are great! This is extremely helpful, and will likely save me some $ as well. I will seriously consider a Skylake i3, which might save me a quite a bit, and good to know the IGP is same as the i5.

Blue_Max

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2011
A non-overclockable i5 on a cheap board is a great choice. If you're going with the absolute latest Intel Skylake platform + DDR4, the IGP will be fine for even light gaming should the need arise. ;)

Cheap boards only have two RAM slots so what I'd recommend (if you're not re-using any old RAM) is to get a single 8GB stick then add 8GB later if funds are that tight.

The performance penalty of single-channel vs. dual is very, very minimal on the Intel platforms for 5+ years now. DDR3 or DDR4, you could also have 12GB (8+4) and still have dual-channel performance in its automatic hybrid channeling that it does.

Heck, by getting 8GB now and 8GB later, it may even open the option of getting the non-overclocking i7? Just a thought.

Either way, you'll be perfectly fine without a video card unless you decide CUDA is going to help you out on your local machine.

Mar 10, 2006
Zero reason for a discrete GPU. Integrated is more than enough for your needs.

If you already have a solid state drive, then go with 16GB of memory. If not, do as other posters have suggested and use the cash to buy a cheap solid state drive for OS + key applications.

This will be a great general purpose system for years to come.

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
The performance penalty of single-channel vs. dual is very, very minimal on the Intel platforms for 5+ years now. DDR3 or DDR4, you could also have 12GB (8+4) and still have dual-channel performance in its automatic hybrid channeling that it does.

The exception to that being if you're using the IGP. Using single channel with the IGP can cut IGP performance up to 50%.

Blue_Max

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2011
The exception to that being if you're using the IGP. Using single channel with the IGP can cut IGP performance up to 50%.

I know that was the case with the AMD IGP's... I don't think Intel's had the same drawback. Will double-check that...

...moot point if you go 8+4 hybrid mode.

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
I know that was the case with the AMD IGP's... I don't think Intel's had the same drawback. Will double-check that...

...moot point if you go 8+4 hybrid mode.

It isn't specific to AMD APUs. Intel's IGPs suffer too, to a slightly lesser extent. But you still gain 20-30% extra performance on Intel by running dual channel.

...and its by no means a moot point if you go 8+4GB. What happens is that flexmemory maps 4+4GB as dual, with the last 4GB running as single. So in effect you get an 8GB "high-speed" portion and a 4GB "low-speed" portion of memory.

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
Why not just go with a Pentium G3258 (amazing OC ability) and cheap MB? Also, you won't need more than 8GB RAM. Do like others said and just put in one 8GB stick for now. I just built a Pentium G3258, ASRock H81M DGS R2.0, 8GB GSkill Ram (2x4), ASUS Strix GTX 950 (2GB) with a 120GB Kingston SSD for gaming and this thing screams. I am shocked by the performance really. I'm getting 55fps in ARMA3, and almost 80FPS in Shogun 2 (Ultra everything), a game I could barely play on my old rig. You could do without the vid card and spend about $250 CDN total. The board allows you to upgrade the CPU in the future if you think it's necessary. Just my 2 cents...

JeffMD

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2002
Old post but I just gotta say, there is NO REASON you need 16gb of ram if you are not using a discrete gpu. If you aren't gaming, invest the money in a bigger SSD, or higher quality monitor.

mvbighead

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2009
Why not just go with a Pentium G3258 (amazing OC ability) and cheap MB? Also, you won't need more than 8GB RAM. Do like others said and just put in one 8GB stick for now. I just built a Pentium G3258, ASRock H81M DGS R2.0, 8GB GSkill Ram (2x4), ASUS Strix GTX 950 (2GB) with a 120GB Kingston SSD for gaming and this thing screams. I am shocked by the performance really. I'm getting 55fps in ARMA3, and almost 80FPS in Shogun 2 (Ultra everything), a game I could barely play on my old rig. You could do without the vid card and spend about $250 CDN total. The board allows you to upgrade the CPU in the future if you think it's necessary. Just my 2 cents...

I'd agree with this. Web browsing and the like really do not require much. The 1.x GHz Celeron in the Chromebox is even adequate, so a Pentium class of Skylake is not a bad idea:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/thmKf7
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/thmKf7/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Pentium G4400 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($59.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Asus H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($51.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill NT Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($43.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($81.61 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($9.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $247.56
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-01 03:57 EST-0500

I also wouldn't worry about 16GB of RAM unless you are have millions of records in your spreadsheets. I am a somewhat heavy user, and find that with 16GB in the system the msot it uses is roughly 5gb.

SSD is definitely a requirement if you do not already have one.

Alessandro

Oct 22, 2003
Thanks again for everyone's help on this - the information benefited me tremendously and got me up to speed quickly on today's hardware market. I considered all of the options suggested, and pursuing each of them actually led me from one road to another, and in the process I found some different things. Fortunately I do already have an SSD and agree that is a huge upgrade in any budget situation. Here's what I ended up with - posting as a thanks to everyone and as a reference for anyone who might be in a similar position in the future:

CPU - Intel Xeon E3-1231 v3 - $193
I was able to get a deal on this - given that I am not going to overclock, it was pretty awesome to get i7-like performance at this price; it does not have an integrated GPU, but by serendipity I stumbled upon a 1GB PCI Express 2.0 video card that will suffice. It is not Skylake but given it performs so well relative to the cost, I took the deal and coordinated the rest of the purchases with it.
Mobo - GA-B85M-DS3H-A - $42 after rebate and shipping
RAM - 16gb G.Skill Ares 1866 RAM - $65
While I will only hit 1600 for the RAM, this was basically the same price, so figure it wouldn't hurt to have a higher spec. Decided on 16 GB because it fit within my budget, and as mvbighead mentioned about spreadsheets/databases with millions of records, I occasionally do have that; I can use a cluster for them but given that 16GB was only only about $30 more than 8 GB, fit within my budget, and helps future-proof slightly, figured it would be nice to run a few more of these databases without ever having to consider swapping to the HD
PSU - Fractal Designs EDISON M 450W - $50
My old PSU was 11 years old, no reason to think it wasn't working OK but it wasn't even top of the line in 2004 when I got it; given the age and the investment I am making in everything else, got a new PSU based on Seasonic design

Total cost - $350 for a budget rig that is screaming fast relative to the price and will serve me well for a number of years.

Last edited: