For a newly built system, do I need to do a clean install of windows?

RgrPark

Golden Member
Mar 11, 2000
It's been over 10 years since my last build.
Got almost everything together, but since I recently did a clean install of windows in my HDD, I really don't feel like doing another.
Would it be okay to try to boot up in windows using my old hard drive transfeered from my old system?

Killrose

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 1999
Unfortunately you may need to buy a new copy of windows if you are using XP. You might not be able to pass the new validation process.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
You don't "Need" one, but it does remove any doubt. For WinXP a Repair Install has never failed me, but for anything prior to WinXP Format/Install was always necessary to avoid problems.

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
Originally posted by: RgrPark
It's been over 10 years since my last build.
Got almost everything together, but since I recently did a clean install of windows in my HDD, I really don't feel like doing another.
Would it be okay to try to boot up in windows using my old hard drive transfeered from my old system?

If you have anything on the old hard drive you want to save, get a new hard drive, install Windows on it, and pull off what you want from the old hard drive afterward.

I would not recommend trying to boot a completely different computer with the Windows installation from an old machine. If it's NT/2000/XP, you're likely to get a blue screen because some critical piece of hardware is dramatically different (chipset, for example).

TheWrongTree

Feb 18, 2008
I've successfully moved an old HDD with Windows to a new computer, and it was okay. But be prepared for it not to work. It's hit or miss. Won't hurt to try it. Just protect your data by making backups of the important stuff. Which you may already have if you've recently done a clean install.

Good luck!

cretinbob

Feb 10, 2006
Originally posted by: gersson
r
e
f
o
r
m
a
t

!

This.

Yeah, kill the partition adn format and reinstall windows. You probably won't even be able to load windows if you hook up an old drive. ANd even if you did, it would make you really unhappy.

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
Try it and see, if Windows loads be ready to go through the activation process.

If Windows doesn't load, go the "repair installation" route. Put in the Windows disc, start setup. Skip the first "repair" option, hit F8 to accept the EULA, then use the second "repair" function to fix your installation of Windows on the drive. >95% this has worked perfectly for me with absolutely no loss of programs/files. Worst case here is Windows still won't load correctly, in this case you have to do a fresh install (but it's very rare that the repair install doesn't work).

TheWrongTree

Feb 18, 2008
Thanx all, I"ll save myself the trouble and do it right the first time!

Haha... you know what's funny? I'm not sure that you're saving yourself any trouble either way. Just transferrring the potential types of pain you'll experience. lol

Drsignguy

Platinum Member
Mar 24, 2002
Originally posted by: TheWrongTree
Thanx all, I"ll save myself the trouble and do it right the first time!

Haha... you know what's funny? I'm not sure that you're saving yourself any trouble either way. Just transferrring the potential types of pain you'll experience. lol

Yeah, I recently have done this and What a friggin long headache! Do like they say and just start over clean. Headache doesnt last as long.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Trying to Boot into Windows is a bad plan. Booting off the Windows CD/DVD and doing a Repair is a good plan.

Xvys

Aug 25, 2006
I have used the same Windows install for many computers and they have worked except for some drivers needing installation. But they have all been Intel chipsets, Asus P865, Asrock, P965, P35. Except when I tried to boot with a Athlon64 X2 and Nforce motherboard. No go. Too different.

You could try it. You have nothing to lose as the alternative is to wipe it clean, which you can still do if it doesn't work.

It is a good idea to setup your harddrive as much as possible for your new computer. Like, uninstalling and disabling video, audio drivers, chipset drivers, lan drivers, ect...unless your new computer has the same gear. Most newer Intel chipset driver are good for any of their motherboards, new or old. But if you are going Nforce or Via, all bets are off.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
as long as you use a compatible chipset then it will just work. If the chipset is different (say, if you went from an nforce4 to an intel P35) then it will not work, and you will need to reformat.