FOP32-1 ..Is this thing safe?

Neos

Jul 19, 2000
Ok...guys (and gals, I guess)I am doing all this one piece at a time ..about to drive myself nuts. I have my Duron 650, and Antec case ...and just got the Global Win FOP32-1 fan and sink.
Wow ..now I see how the other half lives. I been foolin' with super 7, AMD K6 ...and generic fans. This is a hoss!
Anyhoo ...my question is ...Will this thing work Ok? ...it sure does have a stiff spring, and I have seen the stories on cracked Durons. Also I note that the base is extended. Will the Abit, Asus, or new MSI board have enough room for it. (still have to get the board)
Thanks,
Neos (Andrew in AL)

thedarkwolf

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
That thing is big :). I just put together my system last week and it sound pretty close to yours. Duron 600@850, fop32-1, abit kt7, antec 1030sx and with this setup I run around 38c-43c idle depending on the room temp and the highest I have seen sofar is 49c on a hot day after running quake with a bunch bots for about 40mins. I don't know if you should do this but I was also scared of that clip so I took the heatsink apart and bent the clip around in my hand a couple times just to loosen it up a bit and it went on pretty easy after that. I also cleaned off that thermal tape stuff that came with it and used radio shack goop instead.

Klosters

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
GlobalWin FOP-32's are different than FOP-32-1's. But how exactly, I dunno. I do know that I installed a FOP-32 for the first time yesterday. The "M" clip was far too powerful, and I wouldn't dream of using the original "M" clip on a glass CPU. Ever. I put the FOP-32 on a PPGA Celeron. That dangmed SK7 clip is a natural-born Socket/Slocket tab killer. I decided to consign the M clip to the ugly corner of hell whence it came. I used an old M clip I had up my sleeve, which also had the nerve to be assymetric, but not after I fixed it.

If you want to be a cheap Charlie, and use an assymetric M clip, do yourself a favor, eh? Avoid them! Just spend the extra ~$10, and buy the Alpha. Your processor will thank you. So will the tabs on your Socket!

cdrakejr

Apr 13, 2000
Check out the GlobalWin FOP32-1 description at Millisec.
He gives a run down on the difference in the FPO32-1 and some ideas about mounting it.

Whatever you do, don't rock it when putting it on. That's where you'll get into trouble. Keep it flat on the cpu, easier to do if you have someone to help you.:)

Maniac9127

Aug 28, 2000
The FOP32-1 is COMPLETLY safe unless you're a moron or something. The clip is suposed to be that powerfull, or else the heatsink won't push down on the feet enough to properly contact the die (maybe it is a little strong, but it's not too strong).

As for the fit. It's about as big as the socket itself, extending 2-3mm over the left and right. If you get the Asus or Abit (Abit I know first hand) it sould fit fine. And it works great. Check my sig for performance.

Rendus

Golden Member
Jul 27, 2000
I believe the FOP32-1 and the FOP38 are the same except for the fans, but I have a FOP38 that fits just fine on my Abit KT7 motherboard. I wouldn't worry about it on the KT7, don't know about the others.

ndee

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Well the FOP32-1 is quite a hard one for my MSI K7T Pro. I had to use 2 Screwdrivers, and yes, on a MSI K7T Pro, it's kind of hard! But it worked for me, so.

My $0.02

squirrel dog

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Take it apart and work some of the spring out of that retention clip.That will make a world of difference.

abracadabra1

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 1999
it really wasn't that large for me.
i have an abit kt7-raid and it fits fine w/ lots of space in my case.
i have an aopen hx08.
i must agree about the spring, stiff as can be (but personally, i feel the retail hsf is a hell of a lot stiffer).
use a phillips-head to push down the wider end of the spring after you have attached the smaller end. just stick it in between the rivet and push down firmly. be sure not to push at an angle, the phillips may slip and do some damage to your mobo.

GL!