Fool cellphone provider

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
It would seem that some tart, electronic or otherwise, misread a "9" on my payment check as a "4" as a result, Cingular was shorted a whole nickel. This in turn caused them to assess me a $5 charge for carrying a past-due balance!!!!!
There needs to be more common sense in this world. Even if the number on the check looked like a 4 (which is possible) it is written out in script n-i-n-e on the check as well.
Further....why would someone short a NICKEL?
*sigh*

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
No other comments?
Oh well....thought that would generate a good "My provider stinks because...." thread.

Well, onto another topic, it's important to learn two things:
1) Keep a good track record for payments. I'm not sure why the CSR asked, but he did ask if this was the first time I had called Cingular customer service and when I said yes he said "This should be easy to fix, then..." I also recently had a problem where my check to my CC was lost in the mail so I got late fee/finance charge and it was easily resolved over the phone, probably in part due to the fact that in 4 years I've never missed a payment or had to dispute a charge.

2) Know what you want and be NICE foremost and PERSISTANT secondmost. Don't point fingers, don't be critical.

I called the CSR up and I knew that I was expecting to get $5 removed from my bill. I nicely explained "It appears that a number on my check was misread as a 4 instead of a 9. As a result, I shorted you a nickel and was assessed a $5 penalty. Could you help me correct this?"

He not only credited me the $5, he even credited me the nickel I still owed. Very nice of him. It's only a nickel, but I was prepared to pay them every penny due them if it spared me the $5.
Anyway, of course, I was expecting a certain fee and he came up with a different number. he must have credited me $7 or something. I'm not dishonest, and I'm not out to screw anyone, so I just told him that I thought that $5.05 from my current balance was something else.

Problem solved after 5 min on hold and 5 min chatting to the CSR.
A little honey goes a long way :)

fr

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I don't think you owed them the nickel they credited you. Even though they read 94 cents, the bank will read 95 cents and they'll take 95 cents out of your account right?

Bah..n/m

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: fr
I don't think you owed them the nickel they credited you. Even though they read 94 cents, the bank will read 95 cents and they'll take 95 cents out of your account right?

Bah..n/m

Well, I owed them 99 cents and they reported 94 cents. I'm sure there's some system that writes up a deposit ticket, and it probably only asked for 94 cents from my bank account.
Who knows....good point, though...