Food stamps for KFC and tacobell ?

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

drebo

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
This pisses me off...

My parents have owned the same convenience store since 1986. I've worked there since I was a kid, and still work one day a week so my folks can have a day off. When they bought it, it had a nice deli. Dad cut steaks, ground beef, had pork chops, chicken, and deli slicer, sold homemade sausages, a little of everything, nice neighborhood store. He has always accepted food stamps. Eventually he had to close the deli, the neighborhood changed, and the products people were buying with their food stamps changed. He still stocks pre-packaged deli-meats, ham steaks, shredded & block cheeses, eggs, veggies, so he can have some decent things for the few people who are on food stamps that still care enough to eat well.

I worked this past Labor Day, it was the 5th, which is food stamp day.

Here's what I saw...one woman came in a bought a 30 pack of coke & 3 big bags of chips. Another woman, bought 4 1L pepsi's @ 1.69, plus a couple 24 oz sodas. She could buy 2 2L for $3, no consideration for smart shopping. All in all, she spent over $30 on strictly junk food. Another person comes in and buys 4 frozen breakfasts for their kids....all day long, for 70% of the food stamp shoppers it is like this, chips, soda, frozen foods, little debbie snacks, candy bars. At least 1/2 of the customers will then pull out their wad of cash and buy cigarettes. Oh, and a few will walk out, and get into their Lexus.

I will also note here, that I believe in the idea of helping the poor. I work for a homeless shelter, soup kitchen and food pantry. I believe in the idea of charity for people who have fallen on hard times, as well as the many veterans, and mentally ill people we serve. We serve a balance meal every day, open to everyone, and our cook is damn good. So there is always an option for someone to get a meal, not one poor person in our city would "go hungry".

But for food stamps to be accepted at fast food joints is straight out ridiculous :thumbsdown:

This is exactly why WIC needs to be expanded and the "food stamp" program and EBT programs need to be phased out. I'm not against them getting a bottle of pepsi, but they should be limited to the generic 2 liter variety.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
This is exactly why WIC needs to be expanded and the "food stamp" program and EBT programs need to be phased out. I'm not against them getting a bottle of pepsi, but they should be limited to the generic 2 liter variety.

Why are poor people drinking pop? A glass of water out of the tap is almost free.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Well if it comes down to money, its impossible to beat the $5 hot and ready or the $1 double cheeseburger. For example

1 lb hamburger 2.00 (generally its more expensive but we'll get the cheap stuff for this example)

Hamburger buns 1.50
Ketchup 1.50
Onions 1.00
Cheese $3.00
Plus the cost of electricity or gas for the oven, water/soap to clean the dishes and the pan.

Or you can get 4 double cheeseburgers for $4 and you're done with it.

The $5 hot and ready there is no way you can replicate that for $5.

You would not be using 1.50 in ketchup nor $3.00 in cheese...an onion should not be $1.00 either. Even store buns should be $1.00 and that is like 8.

4 double cheeseburgers also is not a lb of burger.

BarneyFife

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2001
Wait, so you're honestly going to try to compare those ingredients to 4 McDonalds burgers? The ingredients listed here will make the equivalent of 8 McDonald's cheeseburgers. And you'll still have leftover onions, cheese and ketchup. So just go get yourself another $3.50 worth of meat and buns and you can make another 8 burgers. So you can make 8 burgers for $9. Or for $12.50 you can make 16. There, it's cheaper than McDonalds.

And you're adding in the cost of cooking and cleanup? Oh no, $0.10 for electricity and soap! Did you add in the cost of gas to drive to McDonalds? I bet it's more than $0.10.

Intellectually dishonest to the end. Typical Democrat.

Did you add the cost of gas to drive to the grocery store? I bet it's more than .10

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Did you add the cost of gas to drive to the grocery store? I bet it's more than .10

And when you go to the store, you can buy a weeks worth of groceries instead of 4 burgers.

It is funny to hear Democrats defend McDonalds though. Keep it up.

"Corporations are evil, but, but, but, poor people deserve to eat shitty fast food!"

What a bunch of clowns.

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003

If I were poor, I wouldn't own a car. I would take the bus. Using a bus pas I already own = free. The bus pass is not free, but I need that to get to work, so that shouldn't count as food budget.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
Where would you even buy mcdicks meat? The hamburger at Costco is hardcore lean and it's expensive. Stuff at mcdonalds is extra fatty which means extra low quality.

Fuel is surprisingly cheap. The amount of methanol needed to deep fry a whole batch of chicken in a fondue is less than $1. I've been using the same 1 gallon jug of methanol for more than a month and I fondue all the time. It takes about 1L of oil as well so that's about 1-2 bucks. The rest is just the cost of the meat. Add soy sauce and worcestorshire to the final product and wrap it in a small piece of white bread. Delicious! That's what I'm making right now!

you do realize fat is the shit i want right? why do you buy kobe beef? because it's so damn marbled, that's fat. also, you can buy the shitty patties you just don't know where to look. ever shop at a food 4 less? you know the place where you bag your own groceries so they can pass savings on to you.

i walk to the grocery store, unless i'm going to an asian market. i bought a cart for 20 bucks

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007

This is just lolecious

It is funny to hear Democrats defend McDonalds though. Keep it up.

"Corporations are evil, but, but, but, poor people deserve to eat shitty fast food!"

What a bunch of clowns.

Dude, even poor people are entitled to eat fast food, how can you be so cruel as to think that people on the public dime shouldn't be afforded all the luxuries that other people have to work for, you heartless racist you.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Your parents must be ashamed. Their son didn't even graduate high school :'(
I don't know if you realize this but vegetables have almost no calories. They have no nutritional value. You can eat 100lbs of carrots and still starve to death. This is why vegans always look like they're on the brink of starvation.
Who didn't graduate high school again?

Vegetables have plenty of essential nutrients in them. To say that they have no nutritional value, by equating calorie content with nutrition, is absurd, to say the least.

Does that mean that twinkies, have a high nutritional value, in your mind, because they have a high calorie content?

Not to mention, today's American diet is FAR too high in fats and calories.

The "Paleo Diet" is being recommended more and more, with small amounts of lean meat, and PLENTY of veggies to go along with it.

Don't worry, I don't blame you for your ignorance, I blame your liberal education/brainwashing.

sleep

Aug 23, 2010
enough of this small racist remarks.

the title taco bell and kfc, is already racist....go figure.

white nasty people eat there all the time, thinking they own the court.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
enough of this small racist remarks.

the title taco bell and kfc, is already racist....go figure.

white nasty people eat there all the time, thinking they own the court.

Usually closet racist are the ones that see racism in everything.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Most poor people don't pay their own electricity and gas bills. They're heavily subsidized. It's always pissed me off cause they always run their AC, 24/7, because they know they don't have to pay for it. But I run it less than 2 hrs/day averaged over the summer because it's fucking expensive.
Tell me about it. My electric bill the last two months was nearly $150 a month. And I'm on a limited income.
Food stamps do come in handy in a pinch. I get under $20/mo on FS. I generally don't use them at all, unless I'm out of cash, and hungry, and don't have an alternative food source. Otherwise, I let my balance build up. Who knows, in 4-6 months, it might add up enough to cover one trip to the grocery store.

Last edited:

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
this really really needs to be stressed. it is NOT FAT THAT MAKES YOU FAT, your body fucking burns fat no problems. it's goddamn sugars.

And there's tons of sugar in fast food, that's why it tastes so "good."

(Again, not blasting you, just adding on to your point. ;) )

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Who didn't graduate high school again?

Vegetables have plenty of essential nutrients in them. To say that they have no nutritional value, by equating calorie content with nutrition, is absurd, to say the least.

Does that mean that twinkies, have a high nutritional value, in your mind, because they have a high calorie content?

Not to mention, today's American diet is FAR too high in fats and calories.

The "Paleo Diet" is being recommended more and more, with small amounts of lean meat, and PLENTY of veggies to go along with it.

Don't worry, I don't blame you for your ignorance, I blame your liberal education/brainwashing.

:thumbsup:

Shawn is another clown. Sometimes I think he might just be trying to get a rise out of people, other times I think he really believes what he's saying.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
People are dumb is why they are poor. I could eat for 30 days for $40 or 4 trips to KFC or 1 trip to roadhouse steakhouse.

Last edited:

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
People are dumb is why they are poor. I could eat for 30 days for $40 or 4 trips to KFC or 1 trip to roadhouse steakhouse.

How are you going to eat for a little over $1 a day ($1.33 to be exact)? And no, I don't think ramen noodles for a whole month will do.

drebo

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
How are you going to eat for a little over $1 a day ($1.33 to be exact)? And no, I don't think ramen noodles for a whole month will do.

It's not hard when you make things in bulk and eat leftovers.

For instance, a lasagna costs about $7 to make and should provide 10 servings. A pot roast or thing of chili, again, should provide at least 10 servings and is very, very cheap. $40 may be stretching it, but $80 should give you 90 meals easily, as long as your portion sizes aren't ridiculous.

No one's saying it's going to be tasty or full of variety, but it's certainly possible.