Food poisoing

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: Auggie
I still have a 102deg fever, but I'm keeping stuff down alright now. I feel like my body got hit by a frakkin truck.

That's not food poisoning. You have a virus.

DO NOT do anything to prevent the puking/diarrhea. Just let your body do it's thing to get rid of the bug. If you can't keep fluids down then sip sprite or some icechips.

Demo24

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004
I had something similar over the summer. Luckily I was able to leave the bathroom for periods of time, but about half way through it I was so tired I could barely move. The smell of the toilet was nauseating so I managed to crawl out of the bathroom and lie down on the carpet. Anti-nausea tablets saved the day that time, but it seemed to stay with me for a few days after. Throwing up pasta is horrible! Especially when its so forceful it comes out ones nose.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
There's not much a doctor can do for you unless you have symptoms for more than 3 days (if you have it that long that means you're not fighting off the infection, so you'll be put on antibiotics). If the cramping is bad they'll give you morphine.

Basically drink a lot of liquids (which it sounds like you're doing), and eat only clear foods- broth and jello are good.

It sucks now, but you should feel better in a day or two.

Doodoo

Golden Member
Feb 14, 2000
Originally posted by: spidey07
Originally posted by: Auggie
I still have a 102deg fever, but I'm keeping stuff down alright now. I feel like my body got hit by a frakkin truck.

That's not food poisoning. You have a virus.

DO NOT do anything to prevent the puking/diarrhea. Just let your body do it's thing to get rid of the bug. If you can't keep fluids down then sip sprite or some icechips.

Viruses can cause food poisoning.

imported_Baloo

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2006
Originally posted by: OdiN
Originally posted by: Codewiz
What's really bad is if you're puking, and you've already puked up everything so all that's left is bile. Oh yeah.

No what is bad about food poisoning is running to the bathroom knowing you have diarrhea and you have to vomit. Wondering if you will be able to hold the diarrhea while you vomit because trying to flush the diarrhea before you vomit might not work out......

Now that sucks.....

Grab a trash can and sit on the toilet.

Problem solved.

Problem solving skills FTW.

imported_Baloo

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2006
What's really bad is if you're puking, and you've already puked up everything so all that's left is bile. Oh yeah.

No what is bad about food poisoning is running to the bathroom knowing you have diarrhea and you have to vomit. Wondering if you will be able to hold the diarrhea while you vomit because trying to flush the diarrhea before you vomit might not work out......

Now that sucks.....

Grab a trash can and sit on the toilet.

Problem solved.

Only time it happened to me, I ran to my guest bathroom because it was closer. I was a bachelor so I didn't have a trashcan in there. I didn't leave that room for 10 hours, I just layed on the floor. If i could have reached a phone, I would have called 911.

I'm a bachelor, and I have a trash can in the bathroom. It escapes me where the notion that being a bachelor means no trash can in the bathroom comes from. Put a damn trash can in the bathroom and improve your problem solving skills.

AnonymouseUser

Diamond Member
May 14, 2003
Originally posted by: jndietz
Taco Bell seems notorious for this.

This is the reason I stay away from a lot of "fast" food.

I got FP from Taco Hell ~15 years ago. Have eaten Taco Hell maybe a dozen times since (all in protest).

Worst. Shit. Ever.

wwswimming

Banned
Jan 21, 2006
last time i had food poisoning i went to the emergency room.

i wasn't in my right mind. you know all those times when
you hear how you can dissolve a penny in stomach acid ?

opportunity of a lifetime, and i missed it.

Savarak

Platinum Member
Oct 27, 2001
Originally posted by: wwswimming
last time i had food poisoning i went to the emergency room.

i wasn't in my right mind. you know all those times when
you hear how you can dissolve a penny in stomach acid ?

opportunity of a lifetime, and i missed it.

who would think of doing science experiments in the middle of vomiting?

vetteguy

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2001
Originally posted by: SlowSpyder
Immodium is your friend.

Immodium will not do any good for this...at least not if he's got it like I have the 3 times I've had food poisoning.

Originally posted by: Citrix
been there done that. just sit on the toilet and put a trash can between your legs. when you heave to puke you can just relax your bowels and let it all flow out.
There's nothing relaxing about that scenario...nothing at all...

But...I like your username ;)

wwswimming

Banned
Jan 21, 2006
who would think of doing science experiments in the middle of vomiting?

something to remember if i see someone else vomiting. i got a copper penny, a zinc penny, and a stainless steel bowl, ready to go.

hard to remember details like that at the time of the food poisoning.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
My sister had it bad once. She got really sick at work and couldn't make it back home. Stopped half way at mothers.

Went to the doctors after 24-36 hours. It passes. If your feaver is over 102+ I would start to worry.

My sister was so dehydrated that she got a bladder infection. So make sure you're trying to hydrate as much as possible. Ice chips go a long way.

I would take some feaver reducers and keep a bag of ice on your head when possible.