folding@home work question

Philippart

Golden Member
Jul 9, 2006
Is it possible to tell FAH not to download WUs, like in Boinc "no new work"?

thanks!

natethegreat

Dec 5, 2004
This is a cut/paste from MDE's F@H Setup Guide:

Be sure to read GLeeM's great explanation of what the flags do below, to add them in just modify your F@H shortcut, or if you installed as a service follow these simple steps:

1) Shut down that instance through the Services manager snap-in (in Administrative Tools)
2) Run regedit (Start -> Run) and go to key HKeyLocalMachine\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ and edit the entry ImagePath, adding whatever flags you wish to the end. Exit regedit.
3) Re-open the Services manager snap-in, and verify that your changes appear there, and then restart the service.

The usual "mess with your registry and mess up, it's your fault" disclaimer applies. Proceed with caution and you should be fine.

If you have a few machines on a network that you want to keep track of, download FAHLogStats. It'll read the status files and logs from each client's F@H folder and give you info like how much time each has left on the current unit, points per day (and per week) and other cool stuff. Just share each machine's F@H folder on the network or through an FTP share. I'd make sure to set the share permissions so that it only has read permissions (in case some joker tries to delete your work).

What the flags do (courtesy of GLeeM with an addition or two from me):
-local = makes the client use info from directory it is in rather than the registry. If you have never installed the GUI you don't need to use this. If you have installed the GUI you DO NEED to use this. Also, use this flag if you're running two or more copies of the CLI version.

-verbosity # = writes more info to the log making it easier to troubleshoot, the higher the number the more verbose the log. Highest number is 9.

-forceasm = if the client or computer crash, the client thinks it is it's fault and when restarted does not use optimized code which takes like ten times longer to finish WU. This flag prevents the client from checking prior termination so that it will always use optimized fast code.

-advmethods = says that you accept the risks of doing late beta WUs, You need to use this flag to get the double point BigWUs.

-oneunit = after sending in results the client quits without getting a new WU. Useful for doing the last WU before quitting F@H. And useful for making your own queue.

-queueinfo = for the console, shows in the log if you have any unsent WUs

-send all = sends all finished WUs and then quits. Useful if something happens to the
F@H server or your connection.

-config = configure the console and continue work

-configonly = configure the console and quit

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask, we're here to help you out!

chris huff

Sep 8, 2006
If you are using the GUI, you can tell it to pause after completion "right click on icon and select Pause When Done"

You can also tell it to prompt you before connecting, which I suppose you could use in the manner you want.

Philippart

Golden Member
Jul 9, 2006
Originally posted by: natethegreat
This is a cut/paste from MDE's F@H Setup Guide:

Be sure to read GLeeM's great explanation of what the flags do below, to add them in just modify your F@H shortcut, or if you installed as a service follow these simple steps:

1) Shut down that instance through the Services manager snap-in (in Administrative Tools)
2) Run regedit (Start -> Run) and go to key HKeyLocalMachine\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ and edit the entry ImagePath, adding whatever flags you wish to the end. Exit regedit.
3) Re-open the Services manager snap-in, and verify that your changes appear there, and then restart the service.

The usual "mess with your registry and mess up, it's your fault" disclaimer applies. Proceed with caution and you should be fine.

If you have a few machines on a network that you want to keep track of, download FAHLogStats. It'll read the status files and logs from each client's F@H folder and give you info like how much time each has left on the current unit, points per day (and per week) and other cool stuff. Just share each machine's F@H folder on the network or through an FTP share. I'd make sure to set the share permissions so that it only has read permissions (in case some joker tries to delete your work).

What the flags do (courtesy of GLeeM with an addition or two from me):
-local = makes the client use info from directory it is in rather than the registry. If you have never installed the GUI you don't need to use this. If you have installed the GUI you DO NEED to use this. Also, use this flag if you're running two or more copies of the CLI version.

-verbosity # = writes more info to the log making it easier to troubleshoot, the higher the number the more verbose the log. Highest number is 9.

-forceasm = if the client or computer crash, the client thinks it is it's fault and when restarted does not use optimized code which takes like ten times longer to finish WU. This flag prevents the client from checking prior termination so that it will always use optimized fast code.

-advmethods = says that you accept the risks of doing late beta WUs, You need to use this flag to get the double point BigWUs.

-oneunit = after sending in results the client quits without getting a new WU. Useful for doing the last WU before quitting F@H. And useful for making your own queue.

-queueinfo = for the console, shows in the log if you have any unsent WUs

-send all = sends all finished WUs and then quits. Useful if something happens to the
F@H server or your connection.

-config = configure the console and continue work

-configonly = configure the console and quit

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask, we're here to help you out!

Since I'm running it on a dualcore mashine, I have both the graphical and the console client. The GUI client was easy, but where do I add those flags?

FAH502-Console-oneunit.exe
or
FAH502-Console -oneunit.exe
or
FAH502-Console.exe-oneunit
or
FAH502-Console.exe -oneunit

I'm a bit confused :eek:

CupCak3

Golden Member
Nov 11, 2005
are you currently running the console client as a service? do you want it to always finished one workunit and stop or just when you tell it to?

Philippart

Golden Member
Jul 9, 2006
no, it's not running as a service.

I just wanted to stop it, to concentrate more on boinc.

CupCak3

Golden Member
Nov 11, 2005
if you just want ot stop it you could just kill it through taskmanager or if you know you just want to run one WU run,

FAH502-Console.exe -oneunit

so if you want to just finished your current WU, you'll have to kill the process, then restart w/ the -oneunit flag