folding@home smp troubleshooting

jkresh

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
I have been running folding at home (3 single threads, 1 gpu, and 1 smp) for a while now on my i7 without issues. After rebooting today the smp client failed to start (just have shortcut under startup not running that as a service (though the single core 1's are)) so I went to the directory, double clicked on the exe and a dos window opens for a fraction of a 2nd then closes. I restarted windows and same thing, tried opening a command prompt (as an admin), going to the directory and typing fah.exe (what I renamed the 6.23smp client exe to when I set it up) and still nothing.

Work folder shows it was working up until 2 reboots ago (rebooted after a windows update for a recently installed copy of Microsoft expression (dreamspark)) but i am not sure why that would impact folding at home.

Any suggestions as to how to get the smp client working again would be appreciated.

Pokey

Platinum Member
Oct 20, 1999
Which version of SMP? Deino MPI or MPICH

Sometimes one seems to be more trouble free than the other in my experience. I think the claim is that the Deino MPI is more stable, but I use both.

When that happened to me I usually did so much stuff trying to fix it that by the time I got it running I didn't know what I did.

Rattledagger

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
Well, appart for hitting the deadline-date on the SMP-client if you've not upgraded it resently, I've got no ideas of that problem you're hitting...

geokilla

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 2006
Instead of using 3 single core clients and 1 SMP client, turn on multithreading and run the Notfred client using VMware Player. You should be able to get around 10k PPD from just the CPU alone.

jkresh

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
notfred seams like an interesting option, if I can't get the smp client back up soon then I will give it a shot