Folding@Home Points-Per-Day seem in the correct range?

Killamaker

Mar 30, 2011
Here are my clients I have activated :
GTS 450- 7800 PPD: Project 8033 "AdvMethods Enabled"
GTX 570- 18000 PPD: Project 8033 "AdvMethods Enabled"
Intel Core I5 2500: 7000 PPD: Project 6097 "AdvMethods Enabled and SMP"

Do these PPD's sound like they are int he correct range for the device? Just want to make sure i have them all set up correctly.

Thanks,
Caleb.

Sunny129

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2000
come on TeAm folders...surely someone has an idea whether or not the OP's production is in line w/ his hardware...

ZipSpeed

Golden Member
Aug 13, 2007
The GPUs looks to be producing right where it should be. As for the i5, 7000 PPD looks low. Killa, did you get a passkey and crunch the 10 WUs in order to qualify for the bonus?

Last edited:

Killamaker

Mar 30, 2011
I got the passkey. What do I do know? I just got the pass key after you told me to btw. Do I jsut wait until 10 WU's are done crunching?

Last edited:

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
No, configure your client asap.

You are running smp, but how many cores? I agree with zip, your cpu should be worth about twice that. Of course with two gpus, you may want to run smp -3. Are you pegging out the cpu in task manager?

Glad to have you onboard! That is a nice rig you have there :)

Killamaker

Mar 30, 2011
I'm not gonna lie, I'm lucky I finished the console variant of this with the two GPU's and the CPU. All i did was put the SMP header in the place where it needed to go in the setup. Just plain SMP. What should I change in there? Should I put in there smp -3 instead of just smp?

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Well, I think that just plain SMP will do two CPUs? How hard is your CPU getting hit in task manager? What % does the FAHClient have in use of your CPU?

:)

I am using the beta v7 client exclusively now, it makes this all so much easier. Then again, I am absolute sucker for GUI's :p

You're really close to getting this right. Get the passkey in there and your CPU dialed in, then you are going to be a very major contributor to Team 198 :D

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
http://www.overclock.net/t/1244279/folding-with-i5-2500k-and-radeon-hd-6950-ppd-help

In my experience, using two CUDA GPUs requires a "dedicated" CPU core. It looks like taking a 2500k (@ 4.5Ghz) from 4 to 3 cores cost ~6k-10k ppd (this is skewed due to bonus for completing them faster, GPU has no bonus).

To me, this means that 7k ppd is what you are going to get out of a 2500 running two GPUs. Your options look to be:

Use -smp 3 and earn 7k ppd on your CPU, perhaps your GPU PPD will go up because right now they are probably having to wait from time to time for you CPU, running -smp 3 will give them a dedicated core and alleviate that potential bottleneck

OR

Drop the GTS 450 and hope that your CPU can make up the ground with -smp 4 (this should use less power overall)

So you are at ~33k ppd right now? You could likely do that (on a good day) without the GTS 450 so long as only one card allows your CPU to work more efficiently.

This is one of the things that makes the i7's nice for folding, you can free up a "Core" that is really just HT sharing the resources of a core, in this case you'd like go from -smp 8 to -smp 6. That would have less impact on your CPU score because all of the critical CPU resources are still available to CPU slot (FPUs, etc.) With an i5, you have to give up an entire actual core, and that is more painful.

The upshot to GPU folding is how reliable it is. The CPU work, not so much.

Perfect solution? Find another box for the GTS 450 to fold in :D

Killamaker

Mar 30, 2011
Good idea, thanks a lot for this help. I was thinking about putting the 450 in a dedicated box anyway. I'll just have to experiment with the settings a bit and I'll get to folding! :D

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
No problem! There are folks here that know more than I do, so maybe they will chime in.

Sorry I missed your post when you first made it...

You know, a nice shiny 3770 would make a great folding CPU I bet :p

Happy folding! You're going to cruise up the charts with that much hardware.

Killamaker

Mar 30, 2011
Yeah, I'm gonna drop the 450 when I get out of class. Hopefully get the 2500 to equal out the lost points from the 450. And yeah, as much as I would love a nice 3770... I'm not allowed to upgrade for a bit :D
Anyway, thanks again!

Killamaker

Mar 30, 2011
Oh, quick thing. Should I enable or disable advmethods? And do I put the -smp 3 in the extra parameters place in the config?

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Oh, quick thing. Should I enable or disable advmethods? And do I put the -smp 3 in the extra parameters place in the config?

I'd leave that flag in. You likely need to stop the CPU Fah Client, and relaunch it with something like:

./fahclient -smp 3 -verbosity 9

That should do it! Just make sure you've got your team set to 198 and the passkey entered and you'll be ready to rock!

Killamaker

Mar 30, 2011
Alright. I did configonly and set Advmethods to be on and set -smp 4 to be the core usage. Now, to get a bonus do I just fold 10 workunits and then I will get a bonus?

Killamaker

Mar 30, 2011
Okay, I got it up 9.1K PPD on my CPU and 17.4K on my GTX 570. This is a total of 27K PPD. Seems a bit better too. Thanks a lot!

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
I did see your original post but I don't have much experience on the windows side of folding. Are you using win7-64 bit and if so are you using the latest version of the beta client? Also how much RAM do you have?

Default settings with one GPU would probably use all four cores on the cpu for smp WUs. You may want to give it a try?

https://fah-web.stanford.edu/projects/FAHClient/wiki/BetaRelease