Folding @ Home - odd log text

Pokey

Platinum Member
Oct 20, 1999
Nothing to do on a rainy day so I thought I would post this observation.

I have been experiencing a lot of Unstable_Machine errors lately on two different GPU clients. So I have been looking at logs a lot. I discovered an unusual aberration. On several of my computers, even the ones working properly, there appear unusual lines of text, for instance:
Example1:
[02:23:29] “Working on Giving Russians Opium May Alter Current Situation”

Example2:
[13:44:24] “Working on Great Red Owns Many ACres of Sand”

Example3:
[10:59:24] “Working on Gromacs Runs One Microsecond At Cannonball Speeds”

Example4:
[16:30:55] “Working on GROwing Monsters And Cloning Shrimps”

I tried to contact F@H forum admin by email to see if this was something they needed to know about but I got no reply.

BTW, I have not looked at my SMP logs, only my GPU logs.

This has been going on for some time and it seems just to be certain work units that cause the Unstable_Machine issue, specifically:
Other work units get processed and finished. But It sure has hurt my production.

Slider76

Jan 27, 2003
I was getting simmilar strange WU names when I was using SMP Notfred VM on my Quad core. I can't remember the names off the top of my head, but they all sounds pretty funny.
I never had any unstable work units that contained this information, they all comleted and returned

GLeeM

Elite Member
Apr 2, 2004
[02:23:29] “Working on Giving Russians Opium May Alter Current Situation”
Strange.

These included the quotation marks?

Are they in among the text at the beginning and end of WUs or in with the "Completed ##%"?

I checked my current log and nothing between quotes but what should be there.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
Example4:
[16:30:55] “Working on GROwing Monsters And Cloning Shrimps”
Uh oh, looks like you've discovered the real purpose of F@H! :eek:

The MIBs (Monsters In Black) will be coming for you shortly! :sneaky:

GLeeM

Elite Member
Apr 2, 2004
Boy am I slow - take all the Caps in the quotes and you get = GROMACS

Me thinks Pokey has too much time on his hands.

"Working on Getting Ripe Oranges, Mangoes And CantalopeS"

Pokey

Platinum Member
Oct 20, 1999
Thanks theAnimal . I guess the jokes on me. :$ The thought of an easter egg crossed my mind for an instant but ................. It ticks me off though that no one responded to my email, even if the joke was set in motion by the open source people and not Stanford.

I did not do a proper search on the F@H forum, just scanned looking for something to jump out and the thread wasn't in chronological order. Next time maybe I'll have the good sense to actually use the search box.

still doesn't explain my 9800GT cards messin up. I will get the NV mem tester and check that possibility.