Folding@home Hits PS3

Wellcky

Golden Member
Jun 1, 2000
If you bought a PlayStation 3 thinking it was just for games or watching movies, Sony wants you to know you can use the powerful device for something a lot more important.
Sony announced on Thursday that owners of any Internet-connected PS3 will be able to participate in a wide-ranging, distributed, scientific experiment led by Stanford University's Folding@home program, which is seeking to better understand a process called protein folding and its relationship to several serious diseases.

Cnet PS3 Folding@Home

Dainas

Aug 5, 2005
But how fast is it at folding. I know that F@H(since the demise of tinkers) is completely reliant on how well your CPU vectors and just about the only thing that PS3's cell can do well is run long lines of vectored code, but still curious.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: teatime0315
pretty cool... i saw a video on youtube and it was doing 0.09 sec per frame. DAMN!! :)

For us non-folders, what does a regular cpu do?

GLeeM

Elite Member
Apr 2, 2004
"Starting with Folding@home, SCE will continue to support distributed computing projects in a wide variety of academic fields such as medical and social sciences and environmental studies through the use of PS3 and hopes to contribute to the advancement of science."

Looks like Folding@Home is just the first of many!

One article said the PS3 is ten times faster than a PC in the types of calculations that the PS3 will be used for. They still need PCs for other types of calculations.

Date looks like March 23 or sooner. The console will need a firmware update.

CupCak3

Golden Member
Nov 11, 2005
I really haven't had much time lately to keep up on all this stuff but thanks for the heads up!

TheRyuu

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2005
So, were is the GPU client for the G80 card?
I'm still waiting?

If the R580 was so dam good at it, what can the G80 do?

If they ever release a GPU client for the G80, I swear I'll start up F@H again.

KeithP

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2000
Has anyone seen anything on if the PS3 software will let you join any team of your own choosing with your own user name or if you will be forced onto some sort of corporate PS3 team?

-KeithP

BobDaMenkey

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2005
Originally posted by: KeithP
Has anyone seen anything on if the PS3 software will let you join any team of your own choosing with your own user name or if you will be forced onto some sort of corporate PS3 team?

-KeithP

I'll let you know tomorrow after the firmware update how the client works. I'm stoked I'll finally be able to fold on my PS3, it was actually a factor in me snagging it when I did, the being bummed that it couldn't fold yet.

GLeeM

Elite Member
Apr 2, 2004

-KeithP

I don't think it is know yet, but someone posted that from a video of the PS3 client they deduced that name and team can be chosen.

IeraseU

Aug 25, 2004
Is there an Anandtech F@H team, or are there pretty much just groups of people on their own here?

Edit: In case anyone is interested, here is a quick snap of the F@H interface for PS3. There is a globe you can manipulate and there are lit areas on it which I assume indicate other F@H users on the network.

Link to PS3 F@H interface

Insidious

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 2001
There is indeed a TeAm here at AnandTech for Folding@Home.

We'd love to have you join in.

Lots of :beer: and babes wall to wall :cool:

We are Team 198

-Sid

IeraseU

Aug 25, 2004

-KeithP

You can choose your team and name.

Insidious

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 2001
Originally posted by: IeraseU
Great....I joined.

:thumbsup:

here's your :beer:.... Watch for the daily stats threads posted by our spiritual leader and all around good guy...... GLeeM :cool:

You will appear in the listings when your machine returns it's first completed work unit.

Cheers

-Sid

/me wonders how long it will take to find out I lied about the girlies :eek:

BobDaMenkey

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2005
50mb client download only took about 30 minutes this morning :(

You can indeed change your user name and team under the identify section of the menu while the client is running.

I've got my first unit and am plugging away at it, looks like it'll take me about 6 hours for it to be done.

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
i'm still trying to get my first unit downloaded.... It just says Preparing Download, then unable to connect to server... Been trying for 3-4 hours now :(

aphex

Jul 19, 2001
lol, guess i just had to bitch online about it, it finally worked :D

TheDro

Dec 14, 2006
Finally dl'd a unit, working on p2552-fs-amber, 14.22% so far, started 45 minutes ago, about 5 hour 5 mins to go. Pretty freaking fast.

IeraseU

Aug 25, 2004
Yes I downloaded the application for a rough comparison on my PC, and the PS3 is much faster.

aphex

Jul 19, 2001
im at 15% in about an hour.... ETA at 6 hours....