Folding at Home GPU Client

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Text

Its probably old news, I don't follow FAH very closely.

Is anyone use the beta 4 client that wants to comment on its stability, performance, etc?

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
I can't use it, because I don't have a video card that comes close to being good enough. However, this new client claims to support Vista. Given the nonexistent x86-64 support in the GPU client, I wasn't expecting Vista support for a long time, either, so this is a good sign. Of course, it remains to be seen if the client can be run together with the Aero interface - probably not, but I'd love to be surprised again.

JHutch

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
In my experience, the client is pretty solid (it cranks the heat on the chip, but it runs stable). However, it slows down overall system responsiveness on my machine. The CPU has to poll the card constantly and even though it isn't doing any heavy lifting, it uses an entire core on my core 2 duo. It'll give up time to everything else, but it seems to make it all sluggish.

JHutch

GLeeM

Elite Member
Apr 2, 2004
Originally posted by: JHutch
In my experience, the client is pretty solid (it cranks the heat on the chip, but it runs stable). However, it slows down overall system responsiveness on my machine. The CPU has to poll the card constantly and even though it isn't doing any heavy lifting, it uses an entire core on my core 2 duo. It'll give up time to everything else, but it seems to make it all sluggish.

JHutch

It is known that some cards with only 256MB video ram cause sluggishness.