Fold For Life - we need members

T101

Oct 13, 1999
Join Fold for Life in Grid.org's quest to find cures to Cancer and other diseases. We fold to find a cure, to help a worthwile cause.
http://www.grid.org/services/teams/team...d=A95EA9AC-79A7-42CF-9A0E-739CD38DF719

Unfortunately we are at the moment very few members, and we need more, to help the cause.
As someone who has undergone the treatment for testicular cancer, I personally hope that this project will help to at least provide us with some less harsh medicines to use for cancer treatment. So personally I would appreciate all help you are willing to provide.

RaySun2Be

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
It's generally considered bad form in the distributed computing community to recruit members of other teams to join your team, especially on their forums.

There is already a Team Anandtech team: Team Anandtech!

If you want to promote the grid computing projects in general, that's not a problem. :)

networkman

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Yes, very bad form to do that. :|

Drawing attention to a DC project that you're passionate about is fine and dandy. In the future, I'd suggest you check and see if the forums you're posting in already have a team involved in the project so you don't ruffle any feathers as it were. ;)

T101

Oct 13, 1999
Then I have to beg for forgiveness, I did not know that. I am new to folding, having just found a project worthy of my time.

Reqruiting members to the team is less important than promoting this particular project in itself. If anyone who sees this message starts folding for Grid.org, that is a sucess of this thread for me.

In the future, I will try to check so that there are no teams already on the page I am writing similar threads on.

Thank you for your responses, and enlightening me on DC ettiquette.

Also, thank you for having a team dedicated to grid.org :)

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
No problem, T101. DC-etiquette is not easy and your post above is much appreciated and will "unruffle" the feathers.

It is very good that you have found a project worth your time. It is sometimes hard to decide where the benefit is biggest.
I wish you all the best in your crunching, many good protein stuctures folded. It is the small work of many that will add to the mass of knowledge - even the knowledge of what does not work is very important (so no resources are abused on experimenst know not to work.

BTW: Team Anadtech has a lot of power wested in folding-projects: Folding@home, Rosetta@home, Predictor@home to name some of the more important; other crunch SIMAP, which is a database comparing known structures of proteins to see similarities and differences, etc ...

T101

Oct 13, 1999
Hmm, I am running UDAgent available from Grid.org. How does that differ from the Folding@Home etc.?
These are not the same project to map the human proteome?

I just wondered, because, I like the Grid.org project, and their UDAgent software (which is a breeze to install and run), and I would like to join perhaps a larger team, but unless they also are registered on Grid.org, and are running UDAgent, I guess there will be no benefit (unless I change software, and I suspect; project)?

GLeeM

Elite Member
Apr 2, 2004
Hello T101 :)

I really like your enthusiasm for DC ;)

I see you have been a member of Anandtech forums for a long time and are just now getting involved in DC.

How could we as a TeAm (or individual member) have interested you in DC sooner?

(I am not asking this to try to get you to change teams, just for your input / ideas on how to get other Anandtech forum members interested in DC.)

T101

Oct 13, 1999
First of all, I think an article about what DC is, would be a good idea to attract new members to the DC community.
As it is now, you pretty much have to read forums regularly, or stumble on the different folding project's homepage to start with it.
And that I think is the core of the issue, information that in laymen terms describes what DC is, and what it is good for, and why you should get involved into it. So if possible, write such an article to be published on the Anandtech website, and I think you will see at least some increase in people who are intrested in DC. However, I think that perhaps it is also so that those visiting Anandtech are enthusiasts. And as such, an article describing DC and what it is good for, might not achieve the greatest impact on that site. It probably should be published somewhere where average-joe-computer-user reads articles. That way we might see a greater increase in computers doing folding.

As for my personal involvement, I have been waiting to find a cancer related folding project with a software that was not too difficult to configure or setup, since I got well from my cancer. Unfortunately, for a long time the only projects I found were pretty advanced affairs to set up or use. Then I found UD and their UDagent software. It was a simple affair to install and run. And it does not slow down my computer noticably during normal work.

So, how could you have hooked me sooner on this? by having information about it available, as described above. Article about what DC is in general. Articles about the different projects. And perhaps even some guides to help those less tech-savvy to setup their software correctly (where it is necessary).

T101

Oct 13, 1999
Yes, but that should not be hidden in a forum. It should be displayed on the Anandtech front page, along with an article about DC and what it is good for.

Crazee

Elite Member
Nov 20, 2001
We would love to have an article about DC that is continually updated on the front page of Anandtech, however that is not something we can decide. DC has been given exposure on the front page from time to time and it has made a tremendous diference when it has happened.

T101

Oct 13, 1999
Hmm, and asking those in charge of the front page for a small spot, a DC segment where you can write articles and news, is a problem?

As it is now, I can select articles about Video, CPUs, etc. But there is no special segment for Distributed Computing.

kb3edk

Jul 11, 2004
Originally posted by: T101
Hmm, and asking those in charge of the front page for a small spot, a DC segment where you can write articles and news, is a problem?

As it is now, I can select articles about Video, CPUs, etc. But there is no special segment for Distributed Computing.

I'm sure the DC TeAm here has asked for front page space before to no avail. Things move kind of slow around this site... I'm sure what few web admins Anand has working here are mostly occupied with keeping the Real Time Pricing database going.

People here have gone so far in the past as to consider buying a banner ad to advertise DC here :p

If you look at some of our folding competitors, HardOCP and Short-Media, they have just the sort of front page links to DC you're referring to. However I stay here because we do so many different DC projects (not just one) and have such a great community! :cool:

Smoke

Distributed Computing Elite Member
Jan 3, 2001

I have just sent the following PM to the powers that be:

I would like to request the following link be placed on the AnandTech Front Page in the left-hand column.

Example:

Home
About
Forums
RSS/Mobile Users
News
RealTime Pricing
My AnandTech
TeAm AnandTech
Anand's Weblog

Our primary DC competitors have a similar link on their front page. This simple link will put us on a level playing field with our biggest DC Competitors and help move TeAm AnandTech to the top of the DC World. This would be a big boost to the AnandTech website and great publicity with no additional expense to AnandTech.

Please forward this request up the proper channels. Thank you very much.

Greg
aka
Smoke

Crazee

Elite Member
Nov 20, 2001

As mentioned above the asking has never been a problem. We ask from time to time and sometimes something is done and other times not. Hopefully this is one of the times it is done :)