Foam for Seagate HD RMAs?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

weeber

Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Tu13erhead
Originally posted by: weeber
Wag,

Do you have any other hard drive boxes sitting around? When I had to RMA a Seagate hard drive, I just happened to have the box that Maxtor sent me from a previous RMA for them. It had two plastic pieces that completely surround the hard drive. The box perfectly fit this assembly so that there was absolutely no movement. I just scratched out the "Maxtor" labels on the box and sent to Seagate this way. They sent me a new drive, no problems.

I went throught the same thing as you when I read Seagate's requirements. And you're right they want it sent back in a better condition then you received it. However, I just said screw it, and sent it in this way. They took it, so it could be another option.

Where'd you get the box from Maxtor? I have a hard drive of theirs to RMA...

The box I'm talking about is what Maxtor sent me for a replacement hard drive from a previous RMA. For the life of me though, I cannot remember what kind of packing I sent the broken Maxtor hard drive in.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Why don't you get them to advance exchange a replacement to you first and then you ship back the defective product in the box that you received? Yes, you need to provide a CC number, but you don't get billed.

Viperoni

Lifer
Jan 4, 2000
Even if you use the bubble wrap with the bubbles that are like 1/4" in diameter... 10 layers would still provide the same protection as the foam they usually ship drives with. With the bigger 1" bubbles, 4 layers would be good.

Only thing is to make sure that the drive doesn't slide out the side of the roll of bubble wrap.

Wag

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Originally posted by: eelw
Why don't you get them to advance exchange a replacement to you first and then you ship back the defective product in the box that you received? Yes, you need to provide a CC number, but you don't get billed.
According to the CSR I spoke to there's a $25 service charge.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
You are spending more time asking for advice than taking it with some common sense.