Foam for Seagate HD RMAs?

Wag

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Anyone know where I can find this cheap? No way am I paying $10+ to buy this from them.

The retail drive didn't even come packaged in foam- cheap bastards.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Bubble wrap and nylon tape will work wonders.

Wag

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Originally posted by: EagleKeeper
Bubble wrap and nylon tape will work wonders.
Says specifically no bubble wrap.

I already did the RMA too, not realizing that I had to find this first.

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Go down to a local hobby shop. They will have sheets/blocks of foam.

Exacto knife and a couple of bandaids will solve the problem then.

Wag

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000

Good idea. Maybe I'll try an electrical supply store or medical supply.

I really resent the fact that they expect you to return the hd in better packaging then they originally provided, yet it says to save "original packaging".

Wag

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Originally posted by: PorBleemo
I find Bubblewrap and Scotch tape do the job well.
Do you even bother reading the thread before you post?

Reel

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Wag

Good idea. Maybe I'll try an electrical supply store or medical supply.

I really resent the fact that they expect you to return the hd in better packaging then they originally provided, yet it says to save "original packaging".

There is a strong reason behind them requiring you to use such cautious packaging. You are mailing them a hard drive. This hard drive is a fragile and sensitive electronic device. Parcel delivery services are known for not handling their packages in an appropriate manner for their often sensitive contents. Seagate hopes that by requiring you to package this drive in a secure manner that it will arrive safely at their door step despite the hazards it may face along the way. Best of luck to you in your search for hard drive packaging foam! I hope your broken hard drive arrives there safely. :roll:

mcvickj

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2001
I'm assuming when you mentioned "No way am I paying $10+ to buy this from them. " You were talking about this site? https://www.wic-store.com/

This ended up being the easiest solution for me. Way to much running around trying to find something to meet the requirements. To each his own.

Wag

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Originally posted by: Reel

There is a strong reason behind them requiring you to use such cautious packaging. You are mailing them a hard drive. This hard drive is a fragile and sensitive electronic device. Parcel delivery services are known for not handling their packages in an appropriate manner for their often sensitive contents. Seagate hopes that by requiring you to package this drive in a secure manner that it will arrive safely at their door step despite the hazards it may face along the way. Best of luck to you in your search for hard drive packaging foam! I hope your broken hard drive arrives there safely. :roll:[/quote]You think teamsters with pallets of these things handle them any better?

At one point they did package them in foam- I'm not sure if other manufacturers do, but I would at least expect to receive it new in as good condition as I'm sending a broken one out. As you pointed out, there isn't much more that can go wrong with it, apart from it not making it there intact. Brand new 300GB one too. Completely failed in less than a month.:(

Yeah, I'll probably do the Wic thing too- But I already have the box, all I really need is foam. Hope I get it in under a month. After paying $10 for packaging, return charges and insurance, this drive doesn't seem like it's such a good deal anymore.

Wag

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Originally posted by: dquan97
If you're in Sacramento, I have an empty Seagate box with foam ;)
Unfortunately, No. Boston.

After shipping WIC want's >$14 for their box! Damn! Maybe I'll try Maxtor or one of the other HD manufacturers and see if I can it for less.

Wag

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Originally posted by: sm8000
$14? I bought two for my SCSI drives and didn't pay that much apiece. Can you get cheaper (aka slower) shipping?
Nope, that's the cheapest.:( Damn ripoff.

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: Wag
Originally posted by: dquan97
If you're in Sacramento, I have an empty Seagate box with foam ;)
Unfortunately, No. Boston.

After shipping WIC want's >$14 for their box! Damn! Maybe I'll try Maxtor or one of the other HD manufacturers and see if I can it for less.

The foam from the hobby shop should be 2-3 bucks.

weeber

Oct 10, 1999
Wag,

Do you have any other hard drive boxes sitting around? When I had to RMA a Seagate hard drive, I just happened to have the box that Maxtor sent me from a previous RMA for them. It had two plastic pieces that completely surround the hard drive. The box perfectly fit this assembly so that there was absolutely no movement. I just scratched out the "Maxtor" labels on the box and sent to Seagate this way. They sent me a new drive, no problems.

I went throught the same thing as you when I read Seagate's requirements. And you're right they want it sent back in a better condition then you received it. However, I just said screw it, and sent it in this way. They took it, so it could be another option.

Wag

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Now I'm confused.

I called up Maxtor asking them if they could sell me a return box, and they said they don't use the foam anymore, because the clamshell packaging is better.

The Seagate retail drive comes in the clamshell! Why can't I use that then? I'm mystefied.

Tu13erhead

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
Originally posted by: weeber
Wag,

Do you have any other hard drive boxes sitting around? When I had to RMA a Seagate hard drive, I just happened to have the box that Maxtor sent me from a previous RMA for them. It had two plastic pieces that completely surround the hard drive. The box perfectly fit this assembly so that there was absolutely no movement. I just scratched out the "Maxtor" labels on the box and sent to Seagate this way. They sent me a new drive, no problems.

I went throught the same thing as you when I read Seagate's requirements. And you're right they want it sent back in a better condition then you received it. However, I just said screw it, and sent it in this way. They took it, so it could be another option.

Where'd you get the box from Maxtor? I have a hard drive of theirs to RMA...

ActuaryTm

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2003
The Western Digital plastic inserts found in their retail packaging work rather well, and stack for easy storage (I confess I have at least six pairs).

mcvickj

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2001
Wag - I was just looking for the box I used when I received my RMA drive from Seagate and it was the clamshell. I didn't get the box with the foam padding back. The one I paid for. Take it for what its worth. I'm sure anything will work.