FM1 A4-3420 2.8Ghz dual-core desktop APU, versus Sandy Bridge Pentium dual-core?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Which would you prefer?

• Sandy Bridge Pentium with HDD and Win7 64-bit

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • AMD A4-3420 APU with 120GB SSD and Win10 64-bit

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Neither, I want a Potato!

Votes: 6 37.5%

• Total voters

edcoolio

May 10, 2017
Anyways, bottom line, will Windows 10 work OK on a Sandy Bridge CPU's iGPU? The Win10 installer will pull down a driver over the internet for it, if it doesn't already have it included? IOW, can I make this work? If I can't, I'll offer her the FM1 APU rig, cheap. But if I can upgrade her existing rig to Windows 10, then I guess that would be the best / cheapest solution, for now at least, until she can save some money for a new rig, by next year.

Looking forward to Raven Ridge mini-ITX / mini-STX PCs. (ASRock, maker of the DeskMini, I'm looking at you! C'mon, a Raven Ridge DeskMini wouldn't be too much to ask, would it? :) )

It will 100% work OK without any issues and will update the driver. There are workarounds if you must install the Intel rather than Microsoft drivers on Win 10, but it should not be necessary (at least in my experience).

Raven Ridge indeed!

Denly

Golden Member
May 14, 2011
If they're short on money, have them some Refurb PC like i3 or even PII x4 with W10P and SSD and be done with it for $200. If you need hook up PM me.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
A4-3420 can be overclocked up to 2.95GHz when setting the number to 106 in ECS A55/A75 boards. Its performance is very identical to Athlon II X2 240 AM3.
Re-visiting this topic, after swapping out (well, disconnecting) the 120GB MLC SATA SSD, and installing a 160GB WD Blue SATA 3.5" HDD. (Short-stroked 500GB platters, supposedly.)

Initial install, and Windows Updates, were slightly painful, but after that, other than boot times being a bit longer than with an SSD, installing the HDD as IDE mode, allowed me to do a bus-clock OC on this board, to 115 BCLK stable. Which comes out to 3.235Ghz. Which seems possibly faster than with the SSD, and at stock clocks, at some things. Page loads in the web browser, mostly. Although, opening a number of tabs in quick succession (over 10) does make the HDD bog down a bit.

Reactions: cbn
Apr 20, 2008
Re-visiting this topic, after swapping out (well, disconnecting) the 120GB MLC SATA SSD, and installing a 160GB WD Blue SATA 3.5" HDD. (Short-stroked 500GB platters, supposedly.)

Initial install, and Windows Updates, were slightly painful, but after that, other than boot times being a bit longer than with an SSD, installing the HDD as IDE mode, allowed me to do a bus-clock OC on this board, to 115 BCLK stable. Which comes out to 3.235Ghz. Which seems possibly faster than with the SSD, and at stock clocks, at some things. Page loads in the web browser, mostly. Although, opening a number of tabs in quick succession (over 10) does make the HDD bog down a bit.
Aint no way a CPU overclock comes even close to making up for the difference between a short stroked HDD and an SSD. You know this Larry!

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Aint no way a CPU overclock comes even close to making up for the difference between a short stroked HDD and an SSD. You know this Larry!
Not sure if I agree with that. Other than bootup speed, the HDD + OC profile, seems faster for web browsing.

kwalkingcraze

Jan 2, 2017
I think Llano is a good architecture that is superior than Trinity and Richland in some ways, if it's over 3.5GHz to start in first place (with bus-overclocking up to 4.0GHz). Triple core like A6-3500 starts at 2.1GHz, which I think is a scam. I favor the A4-3420 instead.

Last edited: