Flu vaccine only 9 percent effective for seniors

Dec 10, 2005
Seniors already have weakened immune systems, so it is not surprising that a vaccine is less effective in that population.

All the more reason for normal, healthy people to also pick up a vaccine. The more people vaccinated, the less chance there is for the virus to take hold and spread.

But now it's time for the usual bs rabble about flu vaccines (getting sick from the virus, perfectly fine immune system, blahblahblah)

bradley

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2000
90% of all recent flu patients at LI North Shore University Hospital had already been vaccinated with this year's strain. So the 9% seems in line with more than just seniors.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
flushots are nothing more then a giant lab test designed to make money. they can fine tune how to deliver mass quanitites of injections (in case the plague comes back) while at the same time making huge profits. theyre basically making us pay for their research.

flushots in the future might be good... if theyre filled with nanobots that help your immune system intelligently defend itself... but right now its just a joke. its just dead viruses in a tube, trying to TRICK your immune system into preperation. there is a reason most doctors dont get their flushots!

Dec 10, 2005
flushots are nothing more then a giant lab test designed to make money. they can fine tune how to deliver mass quanitites of injections (in case the plague comes back) while at the same time making huge profits. theyre basically making us pay for their research.

flushots in the future might be good... if theyre filled with nanobots that help your immune system intelligently defend itself... but right now its just a joke. its just dead viruses in a tube, trying to TRICK your immune system into preperation. there is a reason most doctors dont get their flushots!

If my sarcasm meter isn't broken, then:

giant_rolleyes.gif

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
I've been wondering if flu season is over yet.
I didn't get a flu shot this year or any year since the Army last forced me to in 1984.
So far, I am still alive.

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
Teh gubment wants to put microchips in us yall!!! I bet they a'fixin to figerr out which NASCAR drive is mah favorit and crash him into a wall!

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
I've been wondering if flu season is over yet.
I didn't get a flu shot this year or any year since the Army last forced me to in 1984.
So far, I am still alive.

i had one flu shot in 08. 3 days later i was sicker then i had ever been in my life. said fuck that, and i have had 2 colds the last 5 years. and nothing even close to a flu.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
Teh gubment wants to put microchips in us yall!!! I bet they a'fixin to figerr out which NASCAR drive is mah favorit and crash him into a wall!

well, why wouldnt they? if micro robots can be delivered to kill cancer or virus cells with perfect accuracy, then that would save ungodly amounts of healthcare money. i would love to be injected with nanobots. i dont care if they could be potentially programmed to kill me... thats all conspiracy shit.. but the fact is they dont have that stuff right now and theyre just filling people with garbage.

TwiceOver

Lifer
Dec 20, 2002
I think my last one was way back in grade school or there's about. No flu since I was really young. 56% success rate? Wonder what the rate of getting the flu is to begin with.

Gibsons

Lifer
Aug 14, 2001

username is appropriate

Nov 3, 2004

Older, established vaccines have a very low profit margin, so there are very few manufacturers

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
This just in!
100% of people that get flu shots WILL die at some point in their life!

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004

people pay for flu shots?

drebo

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
Not necessarily. I'm not privy to the information, but if side effects and complications > a couple %, I'd say 9% is most definitely not worth the risk in terms of "greater good", etc.

And what kind of side effects are there from a flu shot?

A little discomfort at the area of injection?

drebo

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
Fixed for you.

Is there some particular reason you're afraid of the flu shot?

Washing hands is a good idea, but will not protect you from the flu.

How about you do both? Then you're 9% less likely to get it, on top of whatever percent "washing your hands" gets you.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
And what kind of side effects are there from a flu shot?

A little discomfort at the area of injection?

Nativity apparently.

A vaccine, like any medicine, could possibly cause serious problems, such as severe allergic reactions. The risk of a vaccine causing serious harm, or death, is extremely small.

Serious problems from inactivated influenza vaccine are very rare. The viruses in inactivated influenza vaccine have been killed, so you cannot get influenza from the vaccine.

Mild Problems

soreness, redness, or swelling where the shot was given
hoarseness; sore, red or itchy eyes; cough
fever
aches
headache
itching
fatigue
If these problems occur, they usually begin soon after the shot and last 1-2 days.

Moderate Problems

Young children who get inactivated flu vaccine and pnemococcal vaccine (PCV13) at the same time appear to be at increased risk for seizures caused by fever. Ask your doctor for more information.

Tell your doctor if a child who is getting flu vaccine has ever had a seizure.

Severe Problems

Life-threatening allergic reactions from vaccines are very rare. If they do occur, it is usually within a few minutes to a few hours after the shot.
In 1976, a type of inactivated influenza (swine flu) vaccine was associated with Guillain-Barré Syndrome (GBS). Since then, flu vaccines have not been clearly linked to GBS. However, if there is a risk of GBS from current flu vaccines, it would be no more than 1 or 2 cases per million people vaccinated. This is much lower than the risk of severe influenza, which can be prevented by vaccination.
The safety of vaccines is always being monitored. For more information, visit: Vaccine Safety Monitoring and Vaccine Safety Activities.

One brand of inactivated flu vaccine, called Afluria, should not be given to children 8 years of age or younger, except in special circumstances. A related vaccine was associated with fevers and fever-related seizures in young children in Australia. Your doctor can give you more information.

This information was taken directly from the Inactivated Influenza VIS [PDF - 269 KB]
(This information taken from Inactivated Influenza VIS dated 7/2/12. If the actual VIS is more recent than this date, the information on this page needs to be updated.)