Floyd Landis sends emails confessing and outlining doping. Accuses Armstrong too

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Article @ WSJ

Floyd Landis, the American cyclist whose 2006 Tour De France victory was nullified after a positive doping test, has sent a series of emails to cycling officials and sponsors admitting to, and detailing, his systematic use of performance enhancing drugs during his career. The emails also claim that other riders and cycling officials allegedly participated in doping, including seven-time Tour de France winner Lance Armstrong.

Damn, pretty nuts if true. There's some really crazy stuff in the article. Wonder why he just decided to come clean like this.

I wonder what this means for Lance's 7 TdF wins, and what it means for cycling in general.

disclaimer: searched Landis and Armstrong...

sMiLeYz

Platinum Member
Feb 3, 2003
i've been reading for awhile from different sources how Lance used performance enhancing drugs. There was a big Men's Journal about it, I mean I didn't believe it at all at first, because Lance was such an inspiration...

I had like 50 of these Live Strong bands that I wore everyday for better part of 2 years, I've heard enough the doping accusations to be throughly disgusted by it.

nonlnear

Platinum Member
Jan 31, 2008
silverpig said:
I wonder what this means for Lance's 7 TdF wins, and what it means for cycling in general.
I don't think it matters. Even if it's true about Armstrong it's still going to come off as sour grapes unless Landis kept tapes and records.

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002

probably nothing. that cycling federation will probably test the shit out of armstrong's remaining frozen urine samples and hope to find something. i bet they'll just use it all up.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Is it really surprising to you that Landis, or even Lance had used PEDs? Keep in mind that HgH still cannot be detected by today's Olympic testing and either of them could have been on something like Balco's "The Clear" that baseball players were abusing because it was stealth.

What I don't believe is Landis's claim that he wasn't juicing when he got caught with elevated levels of testosterone. The man is clearly a cheater and now he's a rat. What a way to go out...

Fear No Evil

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2008
Why do I have a feeling we will be reading the same things about that Bolt sprinter guy in the next couple years? It seems when athletes appear generally too good to be true, they usually ARE.

Last edited:

nonlnear

Platinum Member
Jan 31, 2008
Why do we bother with the charade of "clean" sports anyways? It all comes from the ridiculous notion that just because somebody can throw a ball, run fast, or pedal a bike better than anyone else that they need to be deified. Are role models really so hard to come by that we have to appeal to this ridiculous mythology about sports figures being perfect humans? They are who they are and they do what it takes to succeed in their business. Their business is entertainment. Get over it.

Danube

Banned
Dec 10, 2009
Landis is a head case. He drugged up in the first place because his wife's parents were going bankrupt in a business and he wanted the money, fame etc. that the winner of the TdF gets. He's probably jealous of Armstrong and bitter toward him like the other confirmed head case Greg Lemond who also tries to defame Armstrong with no evidence whatsoever. Armstrong is the most scrutinized athlete there is with regard to performance enhancers and no evidence has ever been confirmed. They tried to frame him in France once but that collapsed.

Last edited:

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
probably nothing. that cycling federation will probably test the shit out of armstrong's remaining frozen urine samples and hope to find something. i bet they'll just use it all up.

I wonder though... it says that officials were complicit in the doping. Maybe the federation needs to be overhauled.

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Why do I have a feeling we will be reading the same things about that Bolt sprinter guy in the next couple years? It seems when athletes appear generally too good to be true, they usually ARE.
I believe I read an article which said the rest of Jamaica's sprinters all tested positive already but he passed. That doesn't say anything about him one way or the other, as the testing is a joke. Bolt does have some biometric qualities about him that would make him naturally fast, but there's no way to tell whether they would make him that fast.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
I believe I read an article which said the rest of Jamaica's sprinters all tested positive already but he passed. That doesn't say anything about him one way or the other, as the testing is a joke. Bolt does have some biometric qualities about him that would make him naturally fast, but there's no way to tell whether they would make him that fast.

It makes you wonder who the honest to god fastest man over 100m in history was.

Status
Not open for further replies.