Florida to begin taxes all Computers on LANs

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
The Network Police are Coming

Proposal would levy fees on most in-house networks

You will be taxed 9-14% per Computer on your inside Network.

Only way to enforce this would be door to door household and business inspections to count up how many machines you have running.

Looks like this inside the home inspections and charging taxes and fees for everything is becoming the norm in this Country.

The Pet Police already go door to door in Kings County Washington charging a Fee for every animal they find in your home. They are going to start that here in my County here in Georgia now, basing the Law, the Fees and the door to door Pet Police force on the Kings County Model, they even go door to door on Saturday and Sundays.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
WTF? In what scary parallel universe is it OK for the gov't to go house to house and assess special taxes depending on what's inside? Is Florida that hard up for cash?

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: dmcowen674

Only way to enforce this would be door to door household and business inspections to count up how many machines you have running.

Looks like this inside the home inspections and charging taxes and fees for everything is becoming the norm in this Country.

The Pet Police already go door to door in Kings County Washington charging a Fee for every animal they find in your home. They are going to start that here in my County here in Georgia now, basing the Law, the Fees and the door to door Pet Police force on the Kings County Model, they even go door to door on Saturday and Sundays.

9-14% of what?

I dont see this idea getting any traction.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
WTF? In what scary parallel universe is it OK for the gov't to go house to house and assess special taxes depending on what's inside? Is Florida that hard up for cash?

When I lived in New York 20 years ago the Building Police would go door to door to see if you put a nail in a wall anywhere in your home. If you made any improvements they would assess higher taxes. I don't know if they still do this, anyone from New York, specifically Town Of Babylon chime in if they still conduct these door to door inside house inspections?

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: DealMonkey

When I lived in New York 20 years ago the Building Police would go door to door to see if you put a nail in a wall anywhere in your home. If you made any improvements they would assess higher taxes. I don't know if they still do this, anyone from New York, specifically Town Of Babylon chime in if they still conduct these door to door inside house inspections?

Seems to me that would be classify as an illegal search.

Here they just raise taxes based on home sales in your neighborhood...

etech

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
All I see is a tax on business.

It does not state that it will be a tax on home networks. As it is still under consideration the wording isn't very clear.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: charrison

9-14% of what?

Florida already charges an Internet Access fee collected by the ISP's (and people said the Internet and E-mail would not be taxed), they would add an additional Tax of 9-15% for each additional Computer to that fee.

So if the Fee is $2.00 on your connection per month now and they find that you have 4 Computers in your home, they will charge you $17.20 each month.

povertystruck

Aug 19, 2003
Im glad I live in Ontario. I was thinking of starting an internet cafe in part of my dad's restraunt(when its finished). Hopefully Ontario wont copy cat Florida.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
In the '80s and I'm sure today there was a tax in Ireland on TV sets. Color was like 15 pounds and B/W was like 5 pounds. There were folks who drove around looking at houses to see if they had a TV and had paid the tax... Folks use to hide the antenna in the attic. but with the cable being a big deal the tracking is easy.

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001

Just curious how do they propose to do this pet thing? As far as I know they still do not have the right to enter your house without your permission unless they serve you with a warrant (peek and sneak excepted) so how could they possibly expect to accomplish anything with these kinds of tactics? I certainly hope you guys are ready to fight something like this and I have no doubt that the ACLU might be interested in it as well.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Linflas

Just curious how do they propose to do this pet thing? As far as I know they still do not have the right to enter your house without your permission unless they serve you with a warrant (peek and sneak excepted) so how could they possibly expect to accomplish anything with these kinds of tactics? I certainly hope you guys are ready to fight something like this and I have no doubt that the ACLU might be interested in it as well.

They've been doing this since 1992 in Washington. I've attended the meetings here but have been shot down by the County Officials that want the money to pay for the Pet Police Force, picking up, housing and killing of the animals (they had to kill 9,000 last year and this year have been averaging putting 2 down an hour).

All dogs and cats must be licensed in all unincorporated King County

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
Originally posted by: Linflas

They've been doing this since 1992 in Washington. I've attended the meetings here but have been shot down by the County Officials that want the money to pay for the Pet Police Force, picking up, housing and killing of the animals (they had to kill 9,000 last year and this year have been averaging putting 2 down an hour).

All dogs and cats must be licensed in all unincorporated King County

If I understand that link you provided they actually don't come in and verify what you have rather they "ask" if you have any pets, if so how many, and they will collect the fees and provide licenses on the spot if you pay them. I am assuming if you tell them no they go on to the next house since they have no authority to enter your residence. I guess we would be in trouble in my house anyway since our cats enjoy sitting in the windows and watching the world go by so any of these "Pet licensing canvassers" could see them and report back to their supervisors if that is what they do. Those fees are pretty steep in any case. I'm glad they haven't picked up on that little revenue scheme here yet. Oh well I don't want to draw this thread off topic any further.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
According to the article:

The rule has only made it to 'draft proposal' stage at this time and it doesn't expressly state computers and networks are subjected to taxes. Instead, some people have said the broader language of the proposed rule change could encompass computers and networks.

Perhaps, perhaps not, but what is rather clear is that these rules are only concerning businesses, not homes and residences. Far from being some attempt to 'secretly' change the rules while nobody is looking, the Department of Revenue states the goal of the draft proposal was so it may be evaluated by those who would be affected (the business community).

As far as King County's pet license laws, we have the same thing here. Animal control is not going to come in to anyone's home to ensure compliance with the restriction on the number of animals permitted unless a member of the public has called Animal Control and reported you for having more animals than you are permitted.

They do not go to anyone's door, let alone 'door-to-door', without first having received a specific complaint from the public.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Since we became a city (Solana Beach, Ca.) we have "code enforcement officers" who drive about looking for code violations including; parking, pets (allowed 4 dogs), weeds, tree overhangs, ugly property, construction, etc.
Animal control also visit to insure license for dogs... I did not renew a pet's license that died and they came by to check on my animals..
Of course I instructed my animals not to respond to any questions unless I was there. They didn't. :)

Mean MrMustard

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2001
I have a serious problem with the government going door to door "assessing" anything.

Just one step closer, folks.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: LunarRay
Since we became a city (Solana Beach, Ca.) we have "code enforcement officers" who drive about looking for code violations including; parking, pets (allowed 4 dogs), weeds, tree overhangs, ugly property, construction, etc.
Animal control also visit to insure license for dogs... I did not renew a pet's license that died and they came by to check on my animals..
Of course I instructed my animals not to respond to any questions unless I was there. They didn't. :)

"Community Action Officials" ;) Atleast thats what I think they are called here. You can't paint your mailbox around here without a stinking building permit. The day the gov't enters my house to count my computers is the day......:disgust:...lets just say it won't be happening.:)

CkG

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY

"Community Action Officials" ;) Atleast thats what I think they are called here. You can't paint your mailbox around here without a stinking building permit. The day the gov't enters my house to count my computers is the day......:disgust:...lets just say it won't be happening.:)

CkG

The government folks just ain't figured out that WE are the government and they work for us. Unless we give them the authority, like we give the police, to do computer searches they ought not do it. Congress critters (Love that term) need getting email from everyone about how folks want them to perform... otherwise they'll just go do what the want.. we need 300m activists, I think!

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

CkG

Originally posted by: ELP
I have a serious problem with the government going door to door "assessing" anything.

Unfortunately there a quite a few posters in here that go along with the way that the Government is now heading and doing. I suspect these individuals are involved as either Lawyers or Government Officials themselves that are promoting this kind of Dictatorship controls.

Oakenfold

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
This is crap.
I have a mind to call this David Bruns fellow and tell him he's a punk.
Talks about businesses, I don't see where it says actual consumer network taxation but if they will do it to businesses you can figure consumers won't be far behind.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001

:Q   :Q   :Q

That's INSANE!

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
State works system to get at VOIP

"According to the documents, "Substitute Communications Systems" are defined as "any system that is used for voice or data, that connects multiple users with the use of Switching or Routing Technology". As it stands now, the vague language of the ruling could also mean that any Florida resident who owns a home LAN (and incurs costs to maintain it) could also face new taxes."

"The goal of these new taxes ties into our recent debate over states regulating VoIP providers. Since VoIP providers usually operate outside the restrictions and taxes imposed on telcos, state's are doing what they can to get a piece of the pie. In Minnesota, the state PUC is forcing Vonage to adhere to telco guidelines. In Florida, the state is working the tax laws to be sure the tax man will be front and center as VoIP hits the mainstream, both in residential and office-to-office use."

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Originally posted by: charrison

9-14% of what?

Florida already charges an Internet Access fee collected by the ISP's (and people said the Internet and E-mail would not be taxed), they would add an additional Tax of 9-15% for each additional Computer to that fee.

So if the Fee is $2.00 on your connection per month now and they find that you have 4 Computers in your home, they will charge you $17.20 each month.

...what if the ISP doesn't know you have four computers (or here and now, 8; 6 currently running)?

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003

CkG

Unfortunately there a quite a few posters in here that go along with the way that the Government is now heading and doing. I suspect these individuals are involved as either Lawyers or Government Officials themselves that are promoting this kind of Dictatorship controls.

Dm, what it is is that the legislature or consel creates a statute or ordinance like "No smoking on Tuesday" now some one has to interpret that and figure out how to enforce it. Some one has the duty to enforce stuff. They determine the hows and do it. Some times they overreach in the enforcement end. The specificity of the statute or ordinance ought to spell out exactly in what manner it is to be enforced. This then would enable the citizenry to point directly at the causation and oust them next election.. etc.
Today, if I want to know why the code enforcement person is doing this or that everyone sorta shrugs and say's "it's the law"

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

Dm, what it is is that the legislature or consel creates a statute or ordinance like "No smoking on Tuesday" now some one has to interpret that and figure out how to enforce it. Some one has the duty to enforce stuff. They determine the hows and do it. Some times they overreach in the enforcement end. The specificity of the statute or ordinance ought to spell out exactly in what manner it is to be enforced. This then would enable the citizenry to point directly at the causation and oust them next election.. etc.
Today, if I want to know why the code enforcement person is doing this or that everyone sorta shrugs and say's "it's the law"

Exactly the problem with too many and too overly broad laws. The enforcement side goes nuts.

However it is no longer just Enforcement people getting the power and going crazy with it. Government is now passing Laws giving private third party Corporations Police and Enforcement powers as well.