Florida Teens record and mock drowning man.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/21/us/video-drowning-teens-florida.html

The video was shocking in Florida, where shocking videos seem like a genre. A group of teenagers laughed and watched as a man struggled in the water of a pond. The man drowned, and his body was not found for days.

The five teenagers did nothing to help him, not even call 911, but after examining the video, the authorities said this week that they did not break the law.

“In the state of Florida, there is no law in place that requires a person to render aid or call to render aid to a victim in distress,” Yvonne Martinez, a spokeswoman for the Cocoa Police Department, said on Friday.

But the local police were not giving up. Later in the day, they said that they believed a different Florida law requires any person who is aware of a death to report it. Ms. Martinez said the authorities would recommend charges under that law.

The man, Jamel Dunn, 31, drowned July 9, and his body was found five days later when the police received a report that it was floating near the edge of the pond in a park in Cocoa, a town with 18,000 people near Orlando.

Figures that Florida wouldn't have a good samaritan law...

The lack of concern for a fellow human being on the part of the teenagers is shocking.

The video was discovered once the teenagers started sharing it with people they knew.

Florida is pretty much the last place I'd ever visit these days.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
This news stabs a piercing sadness into my weeping heart. :(

FIVR

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2016
Saw this on the news and while it is quite sad that these teens are awful people and let this man die, I'm still not sure why this is "news". Something tells me there are plenty of videos of white marines in Iraq acting much worse towards civilians along with many videos of white cops in the US being awful and refusing aid. Suddenly you find a video of 4 black kids doing something morally repugnant (but legal), and the media throws up their hands hysterically along with law enforcement about "WHY CAN'T WE JUST IMPRISON THESE KIDS!! WHY?!?"

SOFTengCOMPelec

Platinum Member
May 9, 2013
What is the real cause of things like that ?
Is it a complete failure of the education system and/or family teaching them family values (morality) ?
Is it medicines or illegal (or legalized) drugs they have taken and/or food additives, causing changes within their brains.
Or something else, such as genetics from their families ?

Or maybe things like this have always been happening, all along. But it is only now, with modern technology, and video cameras in the bulk of mobile/cell-net phones. Which means we know about this, whereas, if it happened, perhaps 30 years ago, we would probably have never known anything about it (i.e. that people were watching and could have helped etc).

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
While tragic and disheartening, it starts at the top. A government that doesn't care about its people will create an environment where the people don't care about each other.

Stand your ground laws, no good Samaritan laws, voter suppression laws, etcs. It all sends a signal to its people.

Humpy

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2011
Is it a complete failure of the education system and/or family teaching them family values (morality) ?
Is it medicines or illegal (or legalized) drugs they have taken and/or food additives, causing changes within their brains.

Or maybe things like this have always been happening, all along. But it is only now, with modern technology, and video cameras in the bulk of mobile/cell-net phones. Which means we know about this, whereas, if it happened, perhaps 30 years ago, we would probably have never known anything about it (i.e. that people were watching and could have helped etc).

They probably just couldn't swim.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
While tragic and disheartening, it starts at the top. A government that doesn't care about its people will create an environment where the people don't care about each other.

Stand your ground laws, no good Samaritan laws, voter suppression laws, etcs. It all sends a signal to its people.

It starts with the parents and goes from there......

Reactions: WackyDan

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
It starts with the parents and goes from there......

Sure and if their parents feel like no body gives a fuck about them then they'll pass that attitude down.

You can claim personal responsibility but humans are social creatures and are easily influenced by those entrusted to meditation order. Recent history has shown this to be true, look at the Philippines or nazi Germany.

SOFTengCOMPelec

Platinum Member
May 9, 2013
They probably just couldn't swim.

I'd be 100% happy, to accept that they couldn't swim, or the drowning man was way too far way, or if they just innocently hadn't noticed or something. So they were unable to help (but they could have at least called 911 and/or passersby etc).

But to mock the drowning man, while videoing him, and WITHOUT dialing 911 or calling for help etc. Is showing a total lack of human morality, etc.

Reactions: WackyDan
Nov 25, 2013

There are over 7 1/2 billion of us. People have acted in this manner since we climbed down from the trees.

Reactions: Atreus21 and pmv
Feb 16, 2005
Once again, Bugs has the right idea
giphy.gif

SOFTengCOMPelec

Platinum Member
May 9, 2013
There are over 7 1/2 billion of us. People have acted in this manner since we climbed down from the trees.

I have never really heard of stuff like that happening, in the Western world (in modern times), perhaps EVER! If I have, it usually involves a Tramp (what you call hobos I think). But I could be forgetting some stories where it happened in the rest of the West.

I only really seem to hear stories like that, from either some really heading towards the bottom of the pile countries, such as the third world, North Korea (even North Korea, does not seem that bad, as stories like this) etc. Maybe China as well.
I suppose maybe Russia, but maybe/probably not, actually.

And the United states of America.

Never (or almost never) from the rest of the West, such as Australia, Canada, UK, Europe, Japan etc.

Presumably, there must be a reason or reasons why.

Humpy

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2011
I'd be 100% happy, to accept that they couldn't swim, or the drowning man was way too far way, or if they just innocently hadn't noticed or something. So they were unable to help (but they could have at least called 911 and/or passersby etc).

But to mock the drowning man, while videoing him, and WITHOUT dialing 911 or calling for help etc. Is showing a total lack of human morality, etc.

Call 911 and gotten themselves arrested for the weed?

Let's be honest, even if 911 was called no one was getting into the water to save the guy.

SOFTengCOMPelec

Platinum Member
May 9, 2013
Call 911 and gotten themselves arrested for the weed?

Let's be honest, even if 911 was called no one was getting into the water to save the guy.

I don't know if they had illegal drugs on them or not (I've not read all available news links etc). But if they had they should have hidden them and/or told the Police (911) where the drowning man was. Then left the area or something.

I hoped/thought that in the modern western world, we would try and save lives. Wherever it is reasonably safe and practicable to do. E.g. That is one of the main uses for 911 and the emergency services.

Even if there was only a 10% chance of them saving the poor drowning man, they should have tried.

Nov 25, 2013
I have never really heard of stuff like that happening, in the Western world (in modern times), perhaps EVER! If I have, it usually involves a Tramp (what you call hobos I think). But I could be forgetting some stories where it happened in the rest of the West.

I only really seem to hear stories like that, from either some really heading towards the bottom of the pile countries, such as the third world, North Korea (even North Korea, does not seem that bad, as stories like this) etc. Maybe China as well.
I suppose maybe Russia, but maybe/probably not, actually.

And the United states of America.

Never (or almost never) from the rest of the West, such as Australia, Canada, UK, Europe, Japan etc.

Presumably, there must be a reason or reasons why.

No. They happen, they get reported and folks forget about them because it's *always* worse somewhere else.

SOFTengCOMPelec

Platinum Member
May 9, 2013
I weep for humanity. This is the saddest thing I have read in a long while :(

The thing is, it could of been any of us or our friends/family, reading this thread. We might live in the US or be vacationing there.

It is all to easy to have a bit of an accident.
E.g. I could have been walking there, and slipped (it was probably wet and slippery), and knocked myself unconscious and landed near the water, or it could of been anyone.

So if they spotted me/you/whoever and either helped and/or dialed 911. Then we could live for another day, and the rest of our lives.
Otherwise, we could drown, just like that man did.

So yes, it is a sad day for America and humanity.

Humpy

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2011
I don't know if they had illegal drugs on them or not (I've not read all available news links etc). But if they had they should have hidden them and/or told the Police (911) where the drowning man was. Then left the area or something.

I hoped/thought that in the modern western world, we would try and save lives. Wherever it is reasonably safe and practicable to do. E.g. That is one of the main uses for 911 and the emergency services.

Even if there was only a 10% chance of them saving the poor drowning man, they should have tried.

I don't disagree.

I guess, given the state of things, I can see why these kids weren't interested helping out though.

SOFTengCOMPelec

Platinum Member
May 9, 2013
I don't disagree.

I guess, given the state of things, I can see why these kids weren't interested helping out though.

The thing is. People basically need to work together, to form a society. If this stops happening correctly too much. We could see society breaking down, big time.

A bit like the collapse of the Roman empire, and other historical similarities.

If this incident is partly caused by the "Donald Trump" effect. Then it is probably sad times ahead, I guess.

E.g. In (most) of our lifetimes, we have already seen the collapse of the old/former U.S.S.R.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
lol FIVR am I the only guy that doesn't have you on ignore?

Let me fix that.

Last edited:

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
it sounded like one of the guys was pretty shaken up about it, but the other guys just laughed at him :(

FIVR

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2016
For real people. A guy fell in a pond by himself. He drowned. Some people laughed about it and made jokes on the shore nearby. That was literally all that happened here... yet we're having a nationwide discussion on how we can make new laws so in the future if other teenagers laugh nearby when tragic stuff happens they can be prosecuted. You guys don't even know how stupidly/hilariously the guy acted falling into the pond. Or if he ignored their warnings prior to doing it. The man probably harassed those kids and ignored their warnings, and they were just practicing their good conservative tenets of " F you, got mine" and letting the man save himself. Bootstraps were needed, snowflakes.

This story is racism. Shame on you all for acting so indignant and shocked about nothing merely because of skin color.