Florida teen convicted of <ATTEMPTED> murder, <FACES UP TO> (g/e/t/s/) 50 years.

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Looks like I read premeditation in that chat log. I dunno if keeping this one alive is worth anything more than future victims.

Jail may only harden him further. He is a threat to society.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
Looks like I read premeditation in that chat log. I dunno if keeping this one alive is worth anything more than future victims.

Jail may only harden him further. He is a threat to society.

agreed, clearly premeditated. kid is fucked up.

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
Your honor, it's the sluts fault for getting raped...
One of my friends was telling a story about how she got some guy at the bar to buy at least $100 worth of drinks for her and her friends then at the end of the night she slammed the door in his face. When she was saying this, I couldn't help but think eventually she's going to do that to someone who is a little bit crazy and that crazy guy is going to either rape her or just beat the shit out of her. Yeah it sucks when bad things happen, but eventually you need to admit that you're partly responsible for the things that happen to you.

The girl in the story suffering permanent brain damage is the sad part. If she just had a bruised face and was in a lot of pain, she could learn from this and become a better person.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
The girl in the story suffering permanent brain damage is the sad part. If she just had a bruised face and was in a lot of pain, she could learn from this and become a better person.

With less severe injuries she could learn to (properly?) fear men? :mad:

Not liking this train of thought.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004

Or maybe, like I said, that nothing good ever comes from antagonizing people. It was obvious the guy was getting wound up, but she had to keep poking at him. She had the option to just ignore him.

If you see someone becoming angry and/or violent (man or woman), the correct response isn't to see how much more angry and/or violent you can make them. That's good advice for anyone.

Lithium381

Lifer
May 12, 2001
So he beat a little girl almost to death and you think his sentence is too harsh? You obviously don't have daughters. He should have received life.

I have a daughter and hearing stories like this gets me raging! NO EXCUSE for this. This person is obviously NOT suitible to make appropriate decisions to exist in our society and SHOULD be removed from the general population

Lithium381

Lifer
May 12, 2001
Or maybe, like I said, that nothing good ever comes from antagonizing people. It was obvious the guy was getting wound up, but she had to keep poking at him. She had the option to just ignore him.

If you see someone becoming angry and/or violent (man or woman), the correct response isn't to see how much more angry and/or violent you can make them. That's good advice for anyone.

As a general rule thats fine but I am in no way responsible to keep YOUR emotions in check. Why didn't he just leave? If someone is doing something that bothers me but isn't doing it with the purpose of bothering me Then I'd be justified in putting them to sleep(that's what i do)?? Hardly.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003

If you cant respect people enough to treat them well then you at least need to fear them. Not so much that it cripples your social life, but you dont shit all over them.
Keep shitting on people long enough, one of them is going to push back.

No, its not right physically assault someone, but you're a god damn moron if you think its ok to be abusive just because retribution against you is a crime.

Sad part is this was just a young girl who didnt have much life experience and didnt know any better. And as fucked up as she is, she wont learn either. Who knows what kind of life she may have led? One poor decision at such a young age shouldn't ruin your life. Along those lines I dont think nearly enough parents teach their kids about online security and bullying and such. That should be standard god damn knowledge at this point. We are hip deep in the information age. Kiddies need to learn what they do online DOES affect them in the real world.

As for the crime at hand, to me its quite simple. A young man beat a girl much smaller and weaker than him. He was fully aware of what he was doing and even told others about his intentions in advance. He needs to go to jail. But there is nothing to restore the young girls life. I can only hope other kids learn from their mistakes.

1: Dont run your fucking mouth and that includes harassing people online, which includes cell phones.
2: Physical violence will never be tolerated and always punished severely.

The main reason both people did what they did is they werent thinking about the consequences, which is more a failure of the parents and schools than anything else.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
As a general rule thats fine but I am in no way responsible to keep YOUR emotions in check. Why didn't he just leave? If someone is doing something that bothers me but isn't doing it with the purpose of bothering me Then I'd be justified in putting them to sleep(that's what i do)?? Hardly.

I agree with everything you said, from a legal standpoint.

Although if I was joking about someone's brother who killed himself, that WOULD have the purpose of bothering them. I know if I did that to someone, I would not be surprised if I got my butt kicked. They would still be responsible for their actions, but their actions wouldn't be totally unexpected.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
I agree with everything you said, from a legal standpoint.

Although if I was joking about someone's brother who killed himself, that WOULD have the purpose of bothering them. I know if I did that to someone, I would not be surprised if I got my butt kicked. They would still be responsible for their actions, but their actions wouldn't be totally unexpected.

He made a comment about her father before she said anything about his brother. The difference is she reacted in a reasonable manner, basically laughing it off & fucking with him right back, whereas he flew off the deep end, threatened to kill her, and then damn near did.

You people defending this puke have no clue.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
He made a comment about her father before she said anything about his brother. The difference is she reacted in a reasonable manner, basically laughing it off & fucking with him right back, whereas he flew off the deep end, threatened to kill her, and then damn near did.

You people defending this puke have no clue.

How am I defending anyone? In every post, I've said this kid is responsible for his actions.

Reading fail.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
Did I say dain, or did I say you people defending this puke? Intelligence fail.

Pneumothorax

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2002
There is no dead child.

Honestly this entire thread has been rendered pointless by the fact that the headline is so completely off-base. Nobody is dead and nobody has been sentenced. I have never seen a thread that is so completely based on false "information."

Reading more into the current mental level of Ratley, it would've been more merciful if he just killed her outright. This is similar to what death penalty opponents who state that the life sentence is more a punishment than just getting snuffed out on a table.