Florida teen convicted of <ATTEMPTED> murder, <FACES UP TO> (g/e/t/s/) 50 years.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Let the parents of the dead child decide the sentence! Personally I dont care what age you are, if you kill someone that you went out of your way to go find and kill, then that is premeditated murder. This is not some act committed in anger at the spur of the moment. It requires the death penalty. I saw a case come up like this where a GI raped a girl in Korea and the parents nailed the man to a telephone pole till he died or some such thing. The police did nothing to help. Sometimes a little vigilante justice is what is called for.

Feb 10, 2000
Let the parents of the dead child decide the sentence! Personally I dont care what age you are, if you kill someone that you went out of your way to go find and kill, then that is premeditated murder. This is not some act committed in anger at the spur of the moment. It requires the death penalty. I saw a case come up like this where a GI raped a girl in Korea and the parents nailed the man to a telephone pole till he died or some such thing. The police did nothing to help. Sometimes a little vigilante justice is what is called for.

There is no dead child.

Honestly this entire thread has been rendered pointless by the fact that the headline is so completely off-base. Nobody is dead and nobody has been sentenced. I have never seen a thread that is so completely based on false "information."

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
Again I'd like to apologize for the misleading thread title. Also, I'd like to thank eskimospy for making my argument much more eloquently than I can lol.

Feb 10, 2000
All thanks to the ghetto stomp. Classy, quebert and others consider this a legitimate fight and the victim obviously deserved said ghetto stomp.

But I understood from your posts that the "ghetto stomp" was the "killing move" which is "favored by African-Americans"? You're saying white people do the "ghetto stomp" too now? What a country!

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
well, SCOTUS overwhelmingly struck down life sentences to minors as unconstitutional (not "life without parole," but "life.") a few weeks ago.

How is 50 years that much different from a life sentence? This one probably won't stand

Actually you are wrong, SCotUS ruled MANDATORY life sentences without parole unconstitutional when it comes to those under 18. They have not forbidden life sentences with or without parole. A 17 year old who commits murder will still very likely be given life without parole. A 14 year old on the other hand probably will not unless they commit multiple homicide. All SCotUS said was states cannot mandate life without parole for juveniles charged as adults with murder. The lower courts in the 28 states that had mandatory life without parole for juvenile murderers now have to play the weighing game with each defendant by looking at a variety of factors and weigh them with the seriousness/heinousness of the crime. SCotUS's decision doesn't apply to the 22 states that did not have the same mandatory sentencing of juvenile murderers other than preventing from them passing said mandatory sentencing. Juvenile murderers in those 22 states serving life without parole will die in prison. Those in the 28 states that had mandatory sentencing are all having their life without parole commuted to life with parole. States aren't going to waste millions to have new sentencing hearings for them.

Furthermore a 50 year sentence would have parole, depending on state, at the 20, 25, or 30 year mark.

Its moot in this case because sentencing hasn't happened.

As for children being charged as an adult. Teenagers know right from wrong. They know not to murder or hurt someone. Maybe they shouldn't be hit with murder 1, but certainly man 2/murder 2 and any other lesser violent offense.

Last edited:

SagaLore

Elite Member
Dec 18, 2001
Welcome to the land of the "free".

Ratley, who was stomped in the head, underwent multiple surgeries to relieve pressure on her brain and spent more than 40 days in intensive care at a Broward County hospital after the assault.

I'm sure she feels really free right now.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
There is no dead child.

Honestly this entire thread has been rendered pointless by the fact that the headline is so completely off-base. Nobody is dead and nobody has been sentenced. I have never seen a thread that is so completely based on false "information."

Got 30,000+ posts of that right next door.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
All thanks to the ghetto stomp. Classy, quebert and others consider this a legitimate fight and the victim obviously deserved said ghetto stomp.

LULZ, Really? I'd never even heard of this "ghetto stomp" until you mentioned it. How the hell can I consider it a legitimate fight move when it's something you made up?

TRUST ME, I consider nothing you say to be anywhere close to legitimate. So this move you made up, uhh yeah not something I stand behind.

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
Was she taunting him about his brother?

Apparently this girl was playing the middle man between a relationship dispute between this guy and her friend. This guy was issuing threats of violence way before the mention of his dead brother by the victim.

Ratley = Victim

Treacy = Perpetrator

http://www.examiner.com/article/tex...ranscript-released-watch-video-tension-rising

11:31 a.m.
Ratley: Kayla don't want 2 talk 2 u. Pt.
Treacy: F--- you. She does.

11:32 Ratley: Lol rapest
Treacy: Stop being stupid.

11:33
Ratley: Y do u like lil girls?

11:34
Treacy: Why are you trying to get urself killed?

11:35
Ratley: Go suck t-----'s p----!

11:37
Treacy: Your ass is getting f----d up. Wait for it. I will find you, I will mess you up. You will regret crossing me.

11:40
Ratley: Ok 9th grader lmao its oka rapest. Ur sick. Threat me alllll u want i think its funni.

11:46
Treacy: 1 grade higher um a rapist? When we ain't done s---? Go f--- urself u lil c---. Um sorry ur father abused u, but u shouldn't take out on others u pitiful little s---.

11:48
Ratley: Mi dads dead bitch? N yeah cus Kayla jus a lil girl.

11:49
Treacy: Like I give a s---. How does talking to a girl that's 1 grade below me make me a rapist? Ur a dumb f---.

11:52
Ratley: Stop txtn mi phone rapest n if u dont care jus stop tryin me k. N jus go visit ur dead brother.

11:53
Treacy: UR F---ING DEAD! I SWEAR TO GOD I'M GONNA KILL YOU! I'LL F---ING FIND YOU! YOUR ASS IS COLD, DEAD MEAT MUTHERF-----!

11:54
Ratley: K u make me giggle.

11:56
Treacy: watch how much you laugh when I strangle the life outta you!! You're f---ed. You said the wrong thing to the worst person.

11:57
Ratley: Like u did mi dad thing oh such a hipacrit.

11:58
Treacy: No, no, I'm not. See, I didn didnt know ur father was dead, u knowingly took a shot at my deceased brother. Today, you die, Slut. Kayla riding the bus today?

12 p.m.
Ratley: Idk. N iam not diein n if I do not from u. N yeah OKAAA. u don't know who ur even talkin 2 do u?

12:01
Treacy: Idc, I'll find you. You're gonna die.

12:02
Ratley: Ok man hore.
Treacy: Tell me, what's ur name?

12:03
Ratley: Ayesha d---.

12:04
Treacy: Ur gonna die.

12:05
Ratley: Oka ill b waitn so wen ur so called gunna kill me or well it b a surpriseb hum.

12:06
Treacy: aight. wait. I'm coming for you.

12:08
Ratley: Ok but wen god u go slow.

12:10
Treacy: Wait.u'll see.
Ratley: K

12:39
Treacy: Let me text Kayla real quick. Just one question I have to ask her.

12:41
Ratley: She not n tha same class txt her other friend they in tha same class.

Last edited:

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
I think the sentence is excessive given the circumstances. He seems like a candidate for rehabilitation.

Under different circumstances, date rape gone bad, thrill killing, sure throw the book at him.

I agree with this given the circumstances. It doesn't absolve him fully, but clearly he was unstable and apparently this young lady went to far.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
First off, define what age someone becomes an adult. Even state and federal government can't do it.

You can vote and join the military at 18
You can drink at 21
You can get an abortion at practically any age and in many states without parental consent
Most states you can marry under the age of 18

Until you can define what age constitutes an adult, I think it's well within reason to try people under 18 as an "adult".

dabuddha

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Should have put a bullet in this cockroaches head.

EDIT: ok I read that transcript above. All parties involved need to be shot :)

Jesus tap dancing christ on a stick

Last edited:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
First off, define what age someone becomes an adult. Even state and federal government can't do it.

You can vote and join the military at 18
You can drink at 21
You can get an abortion at practically any age and in many states without parental consent
Most states you can marry under the age of 18

Until you can define what age constitutes an adult, I think it's well within reason to try people under 18 as an "adult".

You are confusing the age of various licenses with the age of legal adulthood. Every state and the federal government explicitly defines when someone becomes a legal adult.

So presumably now that you know this you will reconsider what is well within reason?

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
OP - double click your thread title from P&N but outside of link, same line. Will allow you to change title if you want.

Yeah, I know how I've done it before. For some reason it wasn't working for me on this thread. Probably an issue with my Chrome.

lol @ that transcript. seriously kid raged to hard and the girl is fucking retarded. seriously an 8th grader that talks like that? hope in future women? low.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
I seriously could barely understand what anything in those texts said. And he didn't really fly off the handle until she mentioned his dead brother.

-see a bear
-throw a rock at the bear
-OMG WHY DID THE BEAR ATTACK ME

So pretty much this. I mean, I feel bad for her obviously, and the dude should get some time, but nothing good is ever going to come from antagonizing anyone (especially about dead family).