Florida teen convicted of <ATTEMPTED> murder, <FACES UP TO> (g/e/t/s/) 50 years.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TerryMathews

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
john, that's not my argument. if he was capable of being an adult, at 15(the age he committed the crime), by committing murder. Then was he not capable of being an adult and driving? drinking? voting? etc? my problem is this CHILD was a CHILD in every sense until this, why does THIS change it? Stupid emotional reasoning, that's why. We should either stop treating children as a special class of citizen or we should not make arbitrary subjective decisions such as treating a child as an adult in certain circumstances. It's bullshit.

So what sentence do you feel would be just?

Feb 10, 2000
This kid really does sound like damaged goods - he's had a tough youth - and he looks pretty wacky.

Wayne_Treacy.jpg

While I am in no way defending Mr. Treacy's actions, his victim had texted him to "go visit his dead brother," who Treacy had seen hang himself just five months earlier. He clearly just snapped and did something awful. Not excusable, morally or legally, but somewhat understandable.

All of this brings me to the fact that this thread's title is almost totally false. Wayne Treacy was not convicted of murder - his victim is still alive, and he has been convicted of attempted murder. He has not been sentenced to 50 years. The Court has not yet announced a sentence.

What is an appropriate sentence? I'd say 10-15 years - he should pay a severe price but should still have an opportunity for a youth, and a life.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
I don't care if he blew his own dick off with a hand grenade, he deserves the harshest sentence possible.

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
Again, the thread title is false, and Treacy has not actually been sentenced. I expect he will get much less than 50 years (the maximum sentence).

It only takes one inaccurate thread title to create false impressions which won't be rectified until the correction is repeated at least 5 times. So far, you're at 3. Keep going and maybe it sinks in by page 4...

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
So what sentence do you feel would be just?

I think what he's saying is a harsh sentence is just - but if we're willing to treat adolescents as adults when they commit crimes, we should also treat them as adults in other situations as well. Basically, "just" would be reducing the age of majority to, say, 14 or 15. You get the benefits and the potential consequences. The way things are set up now, teens face similar consequences as adults when they commit serious crimes, but they get none of the benefits adults enjoy.

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
Well if we are gonna drag in the text message issued by the victim, we might also want to drag the entire text conversation to put it into context and the photos of what the victim looked like after her near death head stomping.

Last edited:

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
I think what he's saying is a harsh sentence is just - but if we're willing to treat adolescents as adults when they commit crimes, we should also treat them as adults in other situations as well. Basically, "just" would be reducing the age of majority to, say, 14 or 15. You get the benefits and the potential consequences. The way things are set up now, teens face similar consequences as adults when they commit serious crimes, but they get none of the benefits adults enjoy.

Pretty sure teens enjoy the right not to be treated as adults for "non-serious" crimes as well. In fact certain crimes when committed by juveniles carry a lot less of a penalty then say when committed by an adult and this isn't even mentioning how any previous criminal records are sealed from public view.

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
15 year olds are not fully capable of making adult decisions, so 50 years is extremely excessive, certainly for a single crime.

We are not asking a 15 year old to fully understand the implications of insider trading or tax fraud. Not smashing people's skulls in is a pretty basic rule of society that even a dumbass teenager should be able to get.

Personally I'm against life sentences for juveniles. If you did something bad enough to be locked up for life at that age then you should just be executed.

Feb 10, 2000
It only takes one inaccurate thread title to create false impressions which won't be rectified until the correction is repeated at least 5 times. So far, you're at 3. Keep going and maybe it sinks in by page 4...

I know I'm repeating myself - it's just that almost all the discussion here is based on the false impression created by the thread title. Personally I think 50 years would be excessive for this crime, but it's likely the actual sentence will be lower.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
This thread title is a major fail.

Convicted of attempted murder
Not sentenced yet

Anyways that kid has some serious issues. Nearly killing somebody over a text msg is absurd. I'd toss him away for a solid 15-20 years.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
He stomped on her head dude...

he also planned it, if you read all the other crap about he he looked up where she was and took a bus there and then asked other students where she was and started beating the crap out of her in public and nearly killed her

50 years may be too much but 10-20 seems about right

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
This person beat a girl to death. Why not try such a person as an adult? How can you repay society for beating a person to death? Isnt that like torture? Jail time is too easy for this person! I see no reason to allow such a person the luxury of taking up space in a jail. Just execute this person. If a dog is violent we put it to sleep, so that seems to be a valid punishment for a violent murderer.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005

Well it is pretty obvious how old bfdd is by this point so my message to him is welcome to America buddy. We were all teens at one point and you guys are the least trusted of any age group, thus you have the least rights (no drinking, voting, etc).

As far as being treated as an adult, I see teens get busted all the time for big time drug charges and walk with probation so your whole argument is relatively moot. This kid got treated like an adult because he behaved in such a horrific manner.

Feb 10, 2000
This person beat a girl to death. Why not try such a person as an adult? How can you repay society for beating a person to death? Isnt that like torture? Jail time is too easy for this person! I see no reason to allow such a person the luxury of taking up space in a jail. Just execute this person. If a dog is violent we put it to sleep, so that seems to be a valid punishment for a violent murderer.

No, he didn't.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Well if we are gonna drag in the text message issued by the victim we might also want to drag the entire text conversation in to put it in context and photos of what the victim looked like after her near death head stomping.

Was she taunting him about his brother?