Florida teen convicted of <ATTEMPTED> murder, <FACES UP TO> (g/e/t/s/) 50 years.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2...eating-of-15-year-old-middle-school-girl?lite

I don't exactly agree with cases like this. I hate seeing children tried as adults, it's absolutely fucking retarded and IMO should be unconstitutional. We do not treat children as equals anywhere else, why the hell should murder change that?

article said:
Wayne Treacy, 17, faces up to 50 years in prison for the attack on then-15-year-old Josie Lou Ratley near Deerfield Beach Middle School.
Jurors reached the decision after about four hours of deliberations.
Ratley, who was stomped in the head, underwent multiple surgeries to relieve pressure on her brain and spent more than 40 days in intensive care at a Broward County hospital after the assault.

That said, what a fucked up individual.

Thread title edited to reality. OP apparently didn't read his own link, and ignored posters in this thread. -Admin DrPizza

Last edited by a moderator:

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2...eating-of-15-year-old-middle-school-girl?lite

I don't exactly agree with cases like this. I hate seeing children tried as adults, it's absolutely fucking retarded and IMO should be unconstitutional. We do not treat children as equals anywhere else, why the hell should murder change that?

Why should murder change that? Because another person's life was cut short? What value do you put on a human life?

Matthiasa

Diamond Member
May 4, 2009
This was an attempted murder, not murder.
Just to clarify things.
Not that I am against him being imprisoned that long, seriously what kind of person do that at that age..

iGas

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2009
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_imprisonment

A few countries worldwide allow for minors to be given lifetime sentences that have no provision for eventual release. Countries that allow life imprisonment without the possibility of parole for juveniles include Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Australia, Belize, Brunei, Cuba, Dominica, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, the Solomon Islands, Sri Lanka, and the United States. Of these, only the United States currently has minors serving such sentences.[1] As of 2009, Human Rights Watch had calculated that there were 2,589[2][3] youth offenders serving life without parole in the United States.[4]

In 2010, the United States Supreme court ruled that sentencing minors to life without parole, automatically (as the result of a statute) or as the result of a judicial decision, for crimes other than intentional homicide violated the 8th Amendment's ban on "cruel and unusual" punishment, in the case of Graham v. Florida.[5]
Welcome to the land of the "free".

PingviN

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2009
Don't do the crime if you can't do the time. A 17 year old should definitely be tried as an adult for attempted murder.

Last edited:

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
Why should murder change that? Because another person's life was cut short? What value do you put on a human life?
Why should arbitrarily not being 18 make you not an adult? Pretty sure I hold my stance because we treat children as completely different, half-citizens, most the time. They should not be held to the same standards as an adult at any moment before they reach that arbitrary line that was drawn in the line that makes an adult.

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time. A 17 year old should know better.
Why couldn't he buy a beer then or serve his country in war? He's 17, he obviously is capable of taking care of himself right?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

15 year olds are not fully capable of making adult decisions, so 50 years is extremely excessive, certainly for a single crime.

/But it's an election year in Florida, which is the important part of all this, at least for the prosecutors & the Judge. Expect more travesties of justice as they build their "tough on crime" image. It sells.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
As far as adult VS teen goes, age is no excuse. This was a very serious violent act against a young woman. Other mitigating circumstances must be considered instead, if they exist. You'd have me reconsider if he was 12 or younger.

Perhaps we all have difference ideas of how responsible children are. I don't think I'll give any teens an exception for murder or torture.

That said, the sentence as it stands is complete BS. You know my stance, 10 years max.

May 16, 2000
Not harsh enough. Anyone who intentionally seeks to harm another seriously enough to potentially cause their death should be immediately (1yr total court time allowed from the point of initial trial start) executed with a bullet in the head. There should be NO exceptions to this. Ever.

Last edited:

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
So he beat a little girl almost to death and you think his sentence is too harsh? You obviously don't have daughters. He should have received life.

Theb

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Police said Treacy sought out Ratley, who was 15 at the time, after she sent him text messages about his older brother, Michael, who had recently committed suicide.
I think the sentence is excessive given the circumstances. He seems like a candidate for rehabilitation.

Under different circumstances, date rape gone bad, thrill killing, sure throw the book at him.

Last edited:

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
So he beat a little girl almost to death and you think his sentence is too harsh? You obviously don't have daughters. He should have received life.

uh wut? I think it's harsh because he was tried as an adult, when up and until the moment he committed the crime he wasn't an adult. That's my issue with this case, I cannot stand "children" being tried as adults. If you think that's a silly thing to have issue with, then why do you support laws that create a special class of citizen known as a "child"? I'm actually chill with putting assholes away or whatever for these kinds of things, that doesn't mean I don't take up issue with the fact he was a CHILD by law and then treated like an ADULT when he made an "adult" decision. If he had decided to drink a beer, do you think he would have received equal treatment or do you think he would have been treated like a child? That's where this retardedness comes from.

Feb 10, 2000
The OP has misquoted the story in a critical way: This guy has not been sentenced. 50 years is the maximum possible sentence, and he will likely receive considerably less.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
I don't really give a flying fuck what some fat, rich asshole says is an adult, bfdd. If you curbstomp someone's head in you are violent enough to be an adult in my book. If he drank a beer he would have received a ticket like any adult under 21 would so that is a bad example for you to make.

Obviously you are not much of an adult to be defending this reprehensible behavior. The good news is he might get out in time to kick in your granddaughter's head, should any woman be moronic enough to have your child, so you have that to look forward to.

TerryMathews

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
uh wut? I think it's harsh because he was tried as an adult, when up and until the moment he committed the crime he wasn't an adult. That's my issue with this case, I cannot stand "children" being tried as adults. If you think that's a silly thing to have issue with, then why do you support laws that create a special class of citizen known as a "child"? I'm actually chill with putting assholes away or whatever for these kinds of things, that doesn't mean I don't take up issue with the fact he was a CHILD by law and then treated like an ADULT when he made an "adult" decision. If he had decided to drink a beer, do you think he would have received equal treatment or do you think he would have been treated like a child? That's where this retardedness comes from.

You understand that if he is tried as a minor, the maximum sentence that can be imposed is the length of time until the offender reaches the age of majority?

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
I don't really give a flying fuck what some fat, rich asshole says is an adult, bfdd. If you curbstomp someone's head in you are violent enough to be an adult in my book. If he drank a beer he would have received a ticket like any adult under 21 would so that is a bad example for you to make.

Obviously you are not much of an adult to be defending this reprehensible behavior. The good news is he might get out in time to kick in your granddaughter's head, should any woman be moronic enough to have your child, so you have that to look forward to.

I'm not defending his behavior lols, the kid is trash, garbage, human shit stain, that doesn't mean he doesn't deserve to be treated fairly. Fairly would be treated him like society viewed him up and until the moment the crime was committed, which was viewing him as a CHILD and treating him as such. It's bullshit to treat him any other way. If you haven't noticed I'm basically arguing that we baby the fuck out of our "children" and the definition of a "child" is such arbitrary subjective non-sense it really should be done away with. I hate that children are for all intents and purposes half-citizens and are denied the very rights you and I are simply because they're "to young". If they're "to young" for one thing, then they're "to young" for others. You can't just say "well this one you're an adult, this one you're a child" stupid non-sense leads to inequality.

btw I tried to fix the thread title and I was unable to so I apologize that it's still misleading.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
Fair would be to let this little girl's family kick his head in. Life isn't fair, grow up already.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
It's one thing to be in a fist fight, it's another to try and cave someone's head in. Throw the book at her.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
I'm not defending his behavior lols, the kid is trash, garbage, human shit stain, that doesn't mean he doesn't deserve to be treated fairly. Fairly would be treated him like society viewed him up and until the moment the crime was committed, which was viewing him as a CHILD and treating him as such. It's bullshit to treat him any other way. If you haven't noticed I'm basically arguing that we baby the fuck out of our "children" and the definition of a "child" is such arbitrary subjective non-sense it really should be done away with. I hate that children are for all intents and purposes half-citizens and are denied the very rights you and I are simply because they're "to young". If they're "to young" for one thing, then they're "to young" for others. You can't just say "well this one you're an adult, this one you're a child" stupid non-sense leads to inequality.

btw I tried to fix the thread title and I was unable to so I apologize that it's still misleading.

He is being treated fairly, much more fairly than he would if we let mob rule, if that were the case his head would have already been split and contains kicked around the street like a soccer ball. It's fucking insane to think that someone that 17 should be exempt the his chosen fate, why? Did you not know right from wrong at 17? Did you not know it was a bad thing to cave in a girls head at 17?

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
john, that's not my argument. if he was capable of being an adult, at 15(the age he committed the crime), by committing murder. Then was he not capable of being an adult and driving? drinking? voting? etc? my problem is this CHILD was a CHILD in every sense until this, why does THIS change it? Stupid emotional reasoning, that's why. We should either stop treating children as a special class of citizen or we should not make arbitrary subjective decisions such as treating a child as an adult in certain circumstances. It's bullshit.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
john, that's not my argument. if he was capable of being an adult, at 15(the age he committed the crime), by committing murder. Then was he not capable of being an adult and driving? drinking? voting? etc? my problem is this CHILD was a CHILD in every sense until this, why does THIS change it? Stupid emotional reasoning, that's why. We should either stop treating children as a special class of citizen or we should not make arbitrary subjective decisions such as treating a child as an adult in certain circumstances. It's bullshit.

To be called a "child" one must display that which truly makes a child ...innocence, caving in a girls head is not displaying innocence, it's displaying evil, evil is not child like.

Dude111

Golden Member
Jan 19, 2010
bfdd said:
I hate seeing children tried as adults, it's absolutely fucking retarded and IMO should be unconstitutional.
Why buddy?

If they can commit ADULT CRIMES why treat them any different?? (They apparetly are evil enough to do it)

Kids are just LITTLE ADULTS!! (Or adults are just BIG KIDS)