Florida School Forces Teen Girl To Put Bandaids Over Her Nipples

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
Have you listened to music lately? It seems to have a pretty much replaced good song writing and creativity with choreography. I watched the Grammys and thought...... wow a bunch of absolute shit music combined with dancing.... how impressive.... not.
Actually, thinking that is just evidence that you're old. It's ok, but it's the same as the older generation hearing classic rock like the Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Hendrix, or whomever/whichever band and thinking, wow. that's shit. Play some Benny Goodman you stupid kids.

Reactions: darkswordsman17

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
Actually, thinking that is just evidence that you're old. It's ok, but it's the same as the older generation hearing classic rock like the Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Hendrix, or whomever/whichever band and thinking, wow. that's shit. Play some Benny Goodman you stupid kids.

The DIFFERENCE is that my kids listen to my old music and LOVE it (well some of it anyways). I always thought my parents music was shit. Yes it does suck to get old. One of the worst things about it is that your views of music and movies become absolutely irrelevant. And yes I believe today's movies also suck balls with young actors that have zero charisma starring in movies with insipid story lines.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
I find it so crazy that you can basically show all of a breast today as long as you cover the nipple because heaven save us if a nipple is ever exposed.

Can we as a society get over our fear of publicly visible female breasts? It's been pretty clearly proven that seeing female legs, knees, shoulders, and hips did not result in the male public turning into uncontrollable sex crazed gorillas. Certainly there is a strong precedent that such double standards are completely unwarranted.

Most likely what would happen is society would get used to it and people would generally lose interest in seeing breasts and may turn to other libido stimulating features in a lady like a nice armpit or good earlobes.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
New I find it so crazy that you can basically show all of a breast today as long as you cover the nipple because heaven save us if a nipple is ever exposed.

It is truly pathetic. But such is our puritanical society.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with that teen's shirt.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
So if it is truly arbitrary, is it just a case of casting these things off at a reasonable pace?

You clearly believe that not sexualizing nipples or not censoring sexualized objects or something along those lines is a good thing for society. Thus you are bound to your desired outcome as a marker of good societal function.

I think that functional society requires sexualizing things, gender difference, and censorship, but I also recognize that these may stand in conflict with egalitarian values and even cross into direct oppression.

Thus, I think it is society's task to hold both ideas valuable and implement what it thinks reasonable to balance them when they fight against each other. How does that happen? Well, I believe in free speech, right to protest, right for the people to organize as they wish. So in a way I support the outrage and protest as a valuable mechanism of societal adaptation even though I think what they are protesting is meh.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
You clearly believe that not sexualizing nipples or not censoring sexualized objects or something along those lines is a good thing for society. Thus you are bound to your desired outcome as a marker of good societal function.

I think that functional society requires sexualizing things, gender difference, and censorship, but I also recognize that these may stand in conflict with egalitarian values and even cross into direct oppression.

Thus, I think it is society's task to hold both ideas valuable and implement what it thinks reasonable to balance them when they fight against each other. How does that happen? Well, I believe in free speech, right to protest, right for the people to organize as they wish. So in a way I support the outrage and protest as a valuable mechanism of societal adaptation even though I think what they are protesting is meh.

Hmm... I don't think its right that I am for not sexualizing, I am more interested in finding a more solid reason beyond it is what it is. Anything and likely everything is sexual to someone. I'm not a foot guy, but there are many out there. I find breasts attractive to the level that I find say a butt attractive. I am find with requiring different rules depending on the sex of the person.

I guess my position is that I am for expression of individuals that allows them to do as they please without doing harm to others. Its complicated with children, so I am for rules about expression around and for kids, but that is about it. So in this context I do not find the shape of a nipple a problem as I do not find the shape of a butt a problem. So long as its not just body paint, then any standard clothing that is not transparent then it should be okay. The shirt I saw seemed more than fine.

justoh

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2013
The DIFFERENCE is that my kids listen to my old music and LOVE it (well some of it anyways). I always thought my parents music was shit. Yes it does suck to get old. One of the worst things about it is that your views of music and movies become absolutely irrelevant. And yes I believe today's movies also suck balls with young actors that have zero charisma starring in movies with insipid story lines.
Just in case you had any doubts, miley perry isn't as good as hendrix. Nick is ridiculous.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I guess my position is that I am for expression of individuals that allows them to do as they please without doing harm to others.

Who isn't? I guess there are pure sadists out there, but probably not many.

Problem is, it's not a matter of saying society hasn't found out how to make it happen. It's that your idea is impossible. Certainly society can work to improve freedom and restrict harm, in some cases doing both at the same time. But always there is some tradeoff. And engaging in that necessarily requires prioritizing the value of freedom to some and harm to others. There's no purely objective way to do that.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Who isn't? I guess there are pure sadists out there, but probably not many.

Problem is, it's not a matter of saying society hasn't found out how to make it happen. It's that your idea is impossible. Certainly society can work to improve freedom and restrict harm, in some cases doing both at the same time. But always there is some tradeoff. And engaging in that necessarily requires prioritizing the value of freedom to some and harm to others. There's no purely objective way to do that.

I don't disagree. I brought up kids for that very reason. Children are not able to assimilate and process adult things, and some expression could actually be damaging to their minds but acceptable for an adult. Restrictions are needed for sure. I would say that I am not for anarchy in terms of expression.

I also get that just doing away with things because they are "arbitrary" can cause damage if just removed all at once.

I'm just not seeing the harm doing away with arbitrary things in the long run, but I do see benefits. I'm not claiming to know for sure it would work out that way, I'm just saying that I don't see the harm.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Huh? Okay, so why not force kids to all wear Burkas? Better yet, lets just leave girls out of education.

See what happens when you goo too far?

Undies are necessities very much for everyone living in a normal civilized society (from America to Europe to Asia to Africa to Australia).

I have been to numerous countries, from rich to poor to middle, and each and every single one of them, everyone has undies that I could tell.

Burkas? Not so much if you are not in a particular religious/region.

Last edited:

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Undies are necessities very much for everyone living in a normal civilized society (from America to Europe to Asia to Africa to Australia).

I have been to numerous countries, from rich to poor to middle, and each and every single one of them, everyone has undies that I could tell.

Which is why everyone wears "undies" when swimming. The Japanese are known for being ultra conservative which is why all children wear "undies". its just natural.

Also, what necessity do you see underwear as having?

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001

Bras don't serve the same purpose as underwear.