Florida LAN Party Proposition/Assistance

Placer14

Platinum Member
Sep 17, 2001
Anyone in South Florida will to undertake and start an annual LAN party type thing in Florida?! The LAN scene in Florida is quite dead (as far as I can tell) and it's sucks cause I've never been to one. :(

Anyone in the area interested in helping to start one or interested in seeing one?! Let me know. I wouldn't mind doing it statewide and having it hosted all over the state. Or if there are LAN parties in Florida (prefferably in SoFla, where i'm located), I'd aprpecaite the referral.

*Edit, updated info to be more appealing and get replies.

GT1999

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I'm not from Florida but I have quite a bit of experience setting up LANs..

#1 You need a lot of people (obviously) along with a good popular game everyone likes to play as a general rule
#2 Lots and lots of power. Industrial power cables (15-20A+).
#3 At least a couple more people to help set up and pack up. This part is extremely time consuming. I had to wake up at 6AM to get everything set up for 50 person LANs that started at noon the same day.
#4 Sponsorship through places like BAWLS Guarana and PC shops for prizes for tournaments (the best part of the LAN)
#5 Entrance fee to pay for all of above plus network equipment and any food/beverage costs.

Hrm.. I'm sure there's more but those are the keys. Best of luck getting someone in SoFlor. to help :)

snooker

Platinum Member
Apr 13, 2001
Depending on date and location I would like to attend, as well as maybe help set it up. I do not have anything to contribute hardware wise though :(

Placer14

Platinum Member
Sep 17, 2001
Also....where do you think the best place would be? (For an inaugrial location)

GT1999

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Placer14
Also....where do you think the best place would be?

If you have some sort of local lodge that would be best (ours is a Moose Lodge). They're usually cheap, if any cost at all, since it's a members only thing (I'm sure you could find a friend that was a member there) and they also have a lot of power, which should be your main concern. As a last resort, you could always try out a local Holiday Inn. This would mean you would have to charge more for people to get in. When I hosted a 50 player LAN at a local Holiday Inn, I charged about $20 a person or $15 for pre-pay through PayPal, since I knew they would be there for sure.

snooker

Platinum Member
Apr 13, 2001
It would probably be best to have it at a lodge to start with, somewhere not to far off an Interstate (Possibly I-75?) City location? I suggest possibly Naples (west coast) or Miami - Homestead area (east coast)