Florida High School Shooting

Page 134 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Some of them must have agreed, or they presumably would have imposed the DP. This was a pretty egregious crime even as murders go. I can't see them declining the DP unless they thought there were mitigating factors. Unless somehow the jury consisted mainly of DP opponents, of which there aren't that many in Florida.
The argument, as I heard it, was that the murderer's mother was on drugs and alcohol during her pregnancy with him and that his perpetrating the murder was in part because of that. Myself, I would very likely have dismissed that in light of the calumny of the offense and the overwhelming feelings of the people who suffer from it. But hey, this is Florida, right? Do you expect justice in Florida?

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
The argument, as I heard it, was that the murderer's mother was on drugs and alcohol during her pregnancy with him and that his perpetrating the murder was in part because of that. Myself, I would very likely have dismissed that in light of the calumny of the offense and the overwhelming feelings of the people who suffer from it. But hey, this is Florida, right? Do you expect justice in Florida?

Yep, two people have mothers who abused drugs and alcohol during their pregnancy. One becomes a mass shooter, while the other is never anything but a law abiding citizen. That's why I have trouble with these kinds of arguments. I'm not saying that drug abuse during pregnancy has no deleterious effect on the brain. I'm saying that in the end, he made a choice.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Yep, two people have mothers who abused drugs and alcohol during their pregnancy. One becomes a mass shooter, while the other is never anything but a law abiding citizen. That's why I have trouble with these kinds of arguments. I'm not saying that drug abuse during pregnancy has no deleterious effect on the brain. I'm saying that in the end, he made a choice.
Not just a choice, he developed a meticulous plan to perpetrate mass murder and carried it out.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
The families are really upset killer didn't get the death penalty.

Is Fox News covering this? Nothing on their FB page. I suspect they don't want to have the discussion about the wrong kinds of crime.

DaaQ

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2018
Maybe they should have an alternate sentence: LWTPOP, option for suicide at any time. :p Naw, too nasty.
They do. It's called the other inmates he will be in prison with. They won't take kindly to mass children shooting.

And by the looks of the killer I seen on tv yesterday. I would say that is why HE wanted the DP.

See what i did there, he's going to get the DP just not by lethal injection, maybe lethal insertion.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
What it tells me is that there was at least one rational, mature, clear thinking adult in the room.
LOL. That isn't something you're qualified to judge, imo.

Someone is not irrational, immature, foggy-brained and childlike just because they believe in capital punishment. They might be in their reasoning for it, though.
I don't believe in it in most cases either tbh, but I don't think it's a black and white issue and I don't hardline judge others for wanting to keep/apply it.
That says more about the families than they think it does.
Careful now, don't fall off that faux moral high horse you're on. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Muse and ivwshane