Discussion Florida Governor Thinks He Knows Twitter’s Business Model

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
He's "accomplished" more in the last year, than Trump did in 4.
I think he would be more capable at achieving right wing policy goals, yes, but also we should look at what DeSantis has actually done in Florida, mostly just stupid show bills like this.

Also, while DeSantis does not appear to be a criminal, which is nice.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
IANAL but things like this seem to undermine the legal case as if you're saying 'our purpose here is to punish Disney' isn't that a bill of attainder?

Dunno if the conservative FL Supreme Court would think so.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
IANAL but things like this seem to undermine the legal case as if you're saying 'our purpose here is to punish Disney' isn't that a bill of attainder?

Seems like an obvious 1st amendment issue as well. Corporations are people after all, and Disney was just expressing their political opinion on a subject. Now, the state govt. is punishing them for that opinion.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Potentially sure. Though depending on who they draw there could actually be worse at least in the short term.
I don’t know the specifics but as the plaintiff Disney would be the one venue shopping.

Regardless, if there is a lawsuit that guy’s statement is sure to be in as evidence.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I don’t know the specifics but as the plaintiff Disney would be the one venue shopping.

Regardless, if there is a lawsuit that guy’s statement is sure to be in as evidence.

Yes, they can improve their odds. Would not put it past DeSantis to otherwise mess with them though since escalation is the name of his game.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I think he would be more capable at achieving right wing policy goals, yes, but also we should look at what DeSantis has actually done in Florida, mostly just stupid show bills like this.

Also, while DeSantis does not appear to be a criminal, which is nice.
I agree it's all just right wing show bills, but Trump wasn't capable of even that.

I'm sure desantis is also corrupt, probably just better at hiding it.

Reactions: thilanliyan

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Yes, they can improve their odds. Would not put it past DeSantis to otherwise mess with them though since escalation is the name of his game.
Well sure, I’m sure he’s perfectly happy to culture war as much as he can. I also doubt he even cares about the results and is fine with losing every lawsuit.

Reactions: Zorba and hal2kilo

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Well sure, I’m sure he’s perfectly happy to culture war as much as he can. I also doubt he even cares about the results and is fine with losing every lawsuit.
Then they can just bitch about "activist judges."

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
He's "accomplished" more in the last year, than Trump did in 4.

Of his stated platform, maybe.

Otherwise, let's see off the top of my head Trump has radicalized millions of Americans, incited a march on the US Capitol, undermined public trust in our public health agencies during a pandemic, persecuted millions of migrants from South and Central America, set US-Iran relations back by decades, undermined public trust in the lawful execution of US elections, stuffed SCOTUS including 2 historically controversial confirmations, stymied US progress (already woefully inadequate) toward prevention of climate change, etc.

I'm gonna go with Trump being the greater evil here.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
^^^not to mention undermining the faith in the national news organizations, calling every thing he disagrees with 'fake news' whether it's true or not.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Of his stated platform, maybe.

Otherwise, let's see off the top of my head Trump has radicalized millions of Americans, incited a march on the US Capitol, undermined public trust in our public health agencies during a pandemic, persecuted millions of migrants from South and Central America, set US-Iran relations back by decades, undermined public trust in the lawful execution of US elections, stuffed SCOTUS including 2 historically controversial confirmations, stymied US progress (already woefully inadequate) toward prevention of climate change, etc.

I'm gonna go with Trump being the greater evil here.
You forgot got really close to destabilizing NATO. Somewhat related to very current events.

uallas5

Golden Member
Jun 3, 2005
Read earlier this morning that if FL does manage to shut down the Reedy Creek District (Disney's municipality) then they're on the hook for $1B+ in debt as a result. So, not only would they pick a fight with a huge economic force in the state, but they'd also saddle the taxpayers with that debt. Solid fucking strategy guys. Really.
Looks like it's Orange County and its citizens that are on the hook not only for having to provide all the services that are covered by Reedy Creek but the bond debt as well.

If Reedy Creek goes away, the $105 million it collects to operate services goes away,” wrote Orange County Tax Collector Scott Randolph. “That doesn’t just transfer to Orange County because it’s an independent taxing district. However, Orange County then inherits all debt and obligations with no extra funds.”

If the bond debt falls on Orange County, residents can expect to acquire between $2,200 to $2,800 in extra debt for a family of four.

The only way the county doesn't get stuck with the bond debt is if Disney agrees to take the debt on, which why would they? Also, they're not sure what's exactly in all the fine print of the bonds but many could become due IMMEDIATLEY if they are based on the continued existence of Reedy Creek as the debtor.

Decent summary by Yahoo but the video definitely worth watching for the details.

Disney’s debt is about to be Central Florida taxpayers’ problem (yahoo.com)

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Looks like it's Orange County and its citizens that are on the hook not only for having to provide all the services that are covered by Reedy Creek but the bond debt as well.

The only way the county doesn't get stuck with it is if Disney agrees to take the debt on, which why would they?

Decent summary by Yahoo but the video definitely worth watching for the details.

The campaign ads for Desantis' Nov. opponent are already written. "This move will cost your family $X thousands of dollars in extra taxes, all because Desantis is a butthurt snowflake".

Grey_Beard

Golden Member
Sep 23, 2014

The only way the county doesn't get stuck with the bond debt is if Disney agrees to take the debt on, which why would they? Also, they're not sure what's exactly in all the fine print of the bonds but many could become due IMMEDIATLEY if they are based on the continued existence of Reedy Creek as the debtor.

There is one caveat to all this. The Reedy Creek Improvement District has the final say. They can vote no on this. The actual residents of the district are some Disney family members and executives that live within the district. Probably less than 50 people maybe 100 max. Every legal expert I read talking about this said the vote by the State Senate (yesterday) and State House (today - https://apnews.com/article/disney-world-desantis-florida-lawmakers-9b56a86946916695ee6b4712517b1f55 ), along with 2022 Napoleon’s signature are ceremonial at best. Everyone thinks the voters of the Reedy Creek District will overwhelmingly vote NOPE. Then it’s over. Unfortunately, 2022 Napoleon can claim he tried but was thwarted by the “woke” “pedophiles” of Disney that are tied to the blood drinking cabal. The extraordinary thing here is that he is also pissing off every Disney fan in the state which, I am sure, many are Rupublicons. Let’s not forget he won in 2018 by a slim margin https://news.yahoo.com/florida-death-toll-now-exceeds-085743679.html

Reactions: Captante

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
There is one caveat to all this. The Reedy Creek Improvement District has the final say. They can vote no on this. The actual residents of the district are some Disney family members and executives that live within the district. Probably less than 50 people maybe 100 max. Every legal expert I read talking about this said the vote by the State Senate (yesterday) and State House (today - https://apnews.com/article/disney-world-desantis-florida-lawmakers-9b56a86946916695ee6b4712517b1f55 ), along with 2022 Napoleon’s signature are ceremonial at best. Everyone thinks the voters of the Reedy Creek District will overwhelmingly vote NOPE. Then it’s over. Unfortunately, 2022 Napoleon can claim he tried but was thwarted by the “woke” “pedophiles” of Disney that are tied to the blood drinking cabal. The extraordinary thing here is that he is also pissing off every Disney fan in the state which, I am sure, many are Rupublicons. Let’s not forget he won in 2018 by a slim margin https://news.yahoo.com/florida-death-toll-now-exceeds-085743679.html

I also saw something that stated the removal has to be in the same manner/action as the creation. In other words, the special session doesn't qualify. Might be the same path as you're pointing out as well. Either way, seems like loopholes to avoid the big legal fight.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Musk says he has 46b funding secured, 23b by himself right?

Who is donating the last 23b? Can we have names please?

Grey_Beard

Golden Member
Sep 23, 2014
Musk says he has 46b funding secured, 23b by himself right?

Who is donating the last 23b? Can we have names please?

If you take the percentage of his Tesla share that he can sell or leverage, it’s about $43 Billion. There are a few VC, hedge funds, or PE that have stated they would jump in. Will be interesting how this plays out. He will have to get a larger position, but he hid what he was doing originally and is being sued because he increased it much more cheaply than he should have been able to.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Vanguard has passed Musk as the largest twitter shareholder since he executed his illegal sneaky move. Big finance seems to be lining up against him. I still don't think the powers that be will allow him to get what he wants. At least not through normal market moves.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Vanguard has passed Musk as the largest twitter shareholder since he executed his illegal sneaky move. Big finance seems to be lining up against him. I still don't think the powers that be will allow him to get what he wants. At least not through normal market moves.
He must scare other billionaires.