Discussion Florida Governor Thinks He Knows Twitter’s Business Model

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
if the state does vote to remove/change the special district then Disney should close shop and layoff all their employees, at least temporarily.
I seriously doubt it would stand up in court. But part of me says fuck'em. They have given a shit ton of money to Florida Republicans including DeSantis. You'd think people would learn that mob bosses and fascists have no real friends, and will turn on you the second you are no longer useful to them.

Reactions: hal2kilo and Muse

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
DeSantis only cares about one thing - maximum red meat for culture war conservatives to win the 2024 Republican primary. Conservative principles, internal consistency, his own personal dignity, the welfare of his state, all secondary.
Is he going up against Trump in 2024? That would be epic, but don't think he would win.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Is he going up against Trump in 2024? That would be epic, but don't think he would win.
I don’t know what he would do if Trump seriously runs in 2024 but he’s clearly there to take up the mantle if he doesn’t.

My guess is DeSantis still goes for it and attacks Trump from the right. Something to the effect of ‘Trump had the right ideas but he couldn’t get it done. I get things done.’

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
He isn't stupid. He just acts stupid. That's the problem.

He graduated with honors from Yale and Harvard Law.

The right is replete with ambitious graspers who are willing to demagogue on absolutely anything if they think it will advance them.

This eventually will have consequences for the people of those states but they get what they voted for.

Reactions: Muse and Zorba

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Looks like he is moving on the Disney thing now with a special legislative session. He also rejected the redistricting that the legislature did, so he did his own. The redistricting, the Disney Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Twitter items will all be in that special session. Should be fun May as the start of hurricane season takes on new meaning.

Looks to me like Desantis has dual purposes in this attack on Disney. He has the obvious one, attacking Disney as part of the GOP's ongoing and perpetual cultural war. Perhaps more significantly, he took his action as a direct result of Disney's decision to suspend political contributions in FL. That makes this a pure case of political corruption where the governor is exercising his power to shake down his constituents for vig. I'd love to see an imaginative lawyer file a RICO lawsuit against Desantis and the state.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
The right is replete with ambitious graspers who are willing to demagogue on absolutely anything if they think it will advance them.

This eventually will have consequences for the people of those states but they get what they voted for.
They will be bailed out by more sane states (or Feds), but will still blame their usual boogeymen.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
They will be bailed out by more sane states (or Feds), but will still blame their usual boogeymen.

Not sure the Feds can help much with stuff like teachers won't take jobs in your state because they don't want to be sued into oblivion by insane residents.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Read earlier this morning that if FL does manage to shut down the Reedy Creek District (Disney's municipality) then they're on the hook for $1B+ in debt as a result. So, not only would they pick a fight with a huge economic force in the state, but they'd also saddle the taxpayers with that debt. Solid fucking strategy guys. Really.

Reactions: hal2kilo

SmCaudata

Oct 8, 2006
Not sure the Feds can help much with stuff like teachers won't take jobs in your state because they don't want to be sued into oblivion by insane residents.
They will call teachers lazy and further demonize them and teacher unions. They will backfill these positions with unqualified people and then opt out of testing to hide their poor performance.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
They will call teachers lazy and further demonize them and teacher unions. They will backfill these positions with unqualified people and then opt out of testing to hide their poor performance.

Sure but most parents are still going to get pissed when things start falling apart. Fucking with the schools too much is risky.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Read earlier this morning that if FL does manage to shut down the Reedy Creek District (Disney's municipality) then they're on the hook for $1B+ in debt as a result. So, not only would they pick a fight with a huge economic force in the state, but they'd also saddle the taxpayers with that debt. Solid fucking strategy guys. Really.

Owning those libs at any cost.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Disney, Twitter, Elon, gays, transgenders, math, masks, vaccines....

Is there anything Ron Quixote won't try and fight?

• Haha

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006

Not only would they take on the debt but the tax payers would be responsible for everything that Disney has been paying for. Roads, infrastructure, police, fire, etc.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Not only would they take on the debt but the tax payers would be responsible for everything that Disney has been paying for. Roads, infrastructure, police, fire, etc.

Yep. Rather expensive streak of pettiness we've got here.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Disney, Twitter, Elon, gays, transgenders, math, masks, vaccines....

Is there anything Ron Quixote won't try and fight?

He should start bursting into hospitals demanding patients only be treated with his speeches and the Bible.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

Don't let Rick Scott hear that or he'll be down there trying to campaign on tax increases for the middle class.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
And Disney will instantly negotiate tax breaks from whatever jurisdiction they are put into. So the citizens of that city would end up paying for Disney's infrastructure. Where today, Disney basically taxes themselves/customers to pay for their own infrastructure.

I'm always very much against corporate welfare, but I think Reedy Creek is an extremely good way to handle Disney World for everyone involved. All you have to do is look up I-4 where Universal gets tax breaks and others have to pay for the infrastructure around them to see how it would otherwise be. Disney owns all the land and has no real residences, so it's not like they are a dictatorship.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Moron tries to swing Musk fandom to shine on himself.

Will fuck anything for attention.

I give you

DeSantis.

Mar 11, 2004
Sure but most parents are still going to get pissed when things start falling apart. Fucking with the schools too much is risky.

I don't think you understand how insane right wingers are. That is very much intentional, because they want their batshit crazy people like the DeVos family to start charter schools to indoctrinate kids (and probably groom them considering how Republicans attract, promote and protect pedophiles).