Florida Court Strikes "Scarlet Letter" Law

BDawg

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
CNN Link

WEST PALM BEACH, Florida (AP) -- Mothers who want to give a child up for adoption in Florida will not be required by law to publicize their sexual histories in newspaper ads, after a state appeals court said the law violates privacy rights and substantially interferes with a woman's ability to choose adoption.

Good lord...this law was just disgusting. Let it never be said that I don't criticize Democrats as well.

Judgement

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
I'm ashamed a law like this would even be suggested here in the U.S.

What were the people who proposed it thinking, those are some sick individuals.

BDawg

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Did you read the article? :)

When lawmakers signed off on the bill two years ago, they cited the three-year fight over Baby Emily, whose father, a convicted rapist, contested her adoption. The Florida Supreme Court ruled in 1995 that Emily's adoptive parents should keep her, but told lawmakers to set a deadline for challenging adoptions.

Democratic state Sen. Walter Campbell, who sponsored the bill, has said the law had unintended consequences. He did not immediately return a call seeking comment.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
As soon as a mother and child attempt to dip into the public trough for hospital bills, housing or food, the state ought to have the right to know who the father is. If we could do that, we could obtain his signature for waving his parental rights to that child in the case of adoptions. We'd also be entitled to garnish his wages or welfare till the kid is 18, in case the mother kept it. Hell, we could garnish the mofo's income till his bill is paid up, no matter how long it takes! Is that asking too much? :confused:

BDawg

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
The mother's sexual history is her business and no one else. Hopefully, she'd share it with future partners...

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The father of the kid is the state's business, if being asked to foot the bill for the child. I'd think adoptive parents need the father's signature on legal forms too... guess that's obvious now!

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Originally posted by: Ornery
As soon as a mother and child attempt to dip into the public trough for hospital bills, housing or food, the state ought to have the right to know who the father is. If we could do that, we could obtain his signature for waving his parental rights to that child in the case of adoptions. We'd also be entitled to garnish his wages or welfare till the kid is 18, in case the mother kept it. Hell, we could garnish the mofo's income till his bill is paid up, no matter how long it takes! Is that asking too much? :confused:

The law ought to read "Failure to provide financial support as ordered by a court of competent jurisdiction obviates any and all parental rights that may otherwise accrue to a party. Payment of arrearages does not, in and of itself, reestablish parental rights previously severed."
What irks me is when DBD get to sit fat, dumb and happy (even if they started a new family) while others foot the bill either by welfare or out of our own pocket.

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002

Sure the state should be able to go after the father or contact him, but should it be done like this:

...will not be required by law to publicize their sexual histories in newspaper ads..

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
...sexual histories in newspaper ads..."

Yeah, that's obsurd. That must be akin to publically announcing found money or something. If the father fails to see the ad, he loses parental rights?
rolleye.gif

Yet, imagine not knowing who the father of your kid is? They almost deserve to be shamed! Heh, if they're that loose, what do they care who knows?

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
...sexual histories in newspaper ads..."

Yeah, that's obsurd. That must be akin to publically announcing found money or something. If the father fails to see the ad, he loses parental rights?
rolleye.gif

Yet, imagine not knowing who the father of your kid is? They almost deserve to be shamed! Heh, if they're that loose, what do they care who knows?

I know how you feel and wish the world wasn't as loose as it is today but not as strict as the 50's

I believe their should be some form of Parental Licensing.<<<I know it would be harder than heck to figure out the right methodology but at least parents would behave more responsibly.