Florida Court says not so fast with those red-light camera tickets

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
10-21-2014

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...-so-fast-with-those-red-light-camera-tickets/

Florida Court says not so fast with those red-light camera tickets

Big changes could be coming to cities with red-light cameras after a Florida District Court of Appeals judge said it’s illegal for camera operators to issue citations to drivers.

The program works like this: Cameras installed at traffic signals snap photos and are examined by the camera’s owner American Traffic Solutions — not law enforcement — to determine whether a violation occurred. A citation is sent to the alleged violator. The driver has 60 days to appeal the ticket before it’s converted into a fine, just like any other citation issued by law enforcement officers.

“The private company is the one who sends the citations in the name of the city,” said Miami lawyer Victor Yurre. “Now it will have to be the city that does it.”

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Temporary set back for the thieving Florida cities.

I believe Chicago has one official Police officer on duty at the private traffic cam Company there to make the tickets okie dokie by the courts.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
redlight tickets are a major scam. Chicago is worse then florida i think. 1st we had a big scandal where one company was bribing city officials so they could put them in. once it was found out they were banned. not that it matters.

Then chicago was busted with reduceing the yellow light to 2.6 seconds on one and 2.9 seconds on another.

not to mention you really can't fight it and that the company that owns the redlight cameras get a % of each ticket (and decide if it is one) there have been reports of BS tickets. such as getting a red light ticket on turn or even sitting bearly over the line.

cabri

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2012
Any camera ticket can be fought because the evidence has to be there to issue the ticket.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
Not sure what the "big changes" would be. The violations would just have to be reviewed by police and tickets issued the city instead of the camera company. That's the way it is done in Tallahassee. The people probably won't experience anything different - the offenders will still get ticketed, just the name of the issuing authority will change.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
redlight tickets are a major scam. Chicago is worse then florida i think. 1st we had a big scandal where one company was bribing city officials so they could put them in. once it was found out they were banned. not that it matters.

Then chicago was busted with reduceing the yellow light to 2.6 seconds on one and 2.9 seconds on another.

not to mention you really can't fight it and that the company that owns the redlight cameras get a % of each ticket (and decide if it is one) there have been reports of BS tickets. such as getting a red light ticket on turn or even sitting bearly over the line.

All the guys at work were getting tickets every day from the light by the McDonalds near the airport. Even just sitting still and not making the right on red. The picture even shows they were just sitting there. The ticket said they blew the red.

It costs $125 to fight the $50 ticket.

They stopped going to work using that route.

cabri

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2012
All the guys at work were getting tickets every day from the light by the McDonalds near the airport. Even just sitting still and not making the right on red. The picture even shows they were just sitting there. The ticket said they blew the red.

It costs $125 to fight the $50 ticket.

They stopped going to work using that route.

Where is your backup/evidence that it costs $125 to fight the ticket.

One can go to the agency that issued the ticket and show that the vehicle did not commit the violations. If they will not rescind the ticket; then take it to court and show the judge your evidence.

Lawyers not needed.

If I am on an actual ignore list; how about someone else please quote this for our ignorant blowhard

The Merg

Golden Member
Feb 25, 2009
I'm not a big fan of them myself (or the speed cameras - darn Montgomery County, MD), however, they have been shown to reduce the number of head-on and broadside accidents.

There was a study done of one intersection and while the number of rear-end accidents did increase, the number of head-on and broadside accidents reduced significantly along with the number of injuries and the severity of injuries.

- Merg

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

tracerbullet

Golden Member
Feb 22, 2001
Minneapolis tried to get them installed, when it was found out all the profits were expected to go the the company in AZ which leased them for the original installation cost + a %age of each ticket issued, leaving little to nothing for the city, they were quickly shut down. OK that's my opinion as to why, the official reason was that the license plate didn't necessarily indicate who was driving, but the backlash from the public was incredible and the cost analysis did verify the city wouldn't make anything.

The Merg

Golden Member
Feb 25, 2009
http://www.motorists.org/red-light-cameras/increase-accidents

Its my understanding they CAUSE accidents and actually just extending the yellow light does way more for safety concerns.

Yes, they do increase the number of rear-end accidents, but they generally reduce the number of serious accidents with injury. It's a trade-off to decide between.

Working near one such intersection, there was usually a bad accident once a week before the cameras were installed. After that, you'd just normally see small fender benders pulled off into the McDonald's and Toys R Us parking lots. Now that the camera is gone, we're back to a serious accident a week, that also usually ties up traffic as well.

- Merg

Last edited:

massmedia

Oct 1, 2014
Yes, they do increase the number of rear-end accidents, but they generally reduce the number of serious accidents with injury. It's a trade-off to decide between.

Working near one such intersection, there was usually a bad accident once a week before the cameras were installed. After that, you'd just normally see small fender benders pulled off into the McDonald's and Toys R Us parking lots. Now that the camera is gone, we're back to a serious accident a week, that also usually ties up traffic as well.

- Merg

interesting

The Merg

Golden Member
Feb 25, 2009
interesting

I'll clarify that the number fender benders definitely increased though while the red light camera was there. Although, it seems that many of them seemed to be due to the fact that cars stop short for the red light to avoid getting ticketed and the person behind them was apparently following too close.

- Merg