Florida Bill Would Make It a Crime for Minors to Post Pictures of Guns on Social Media

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Perhaps this is where our differences come in. This isn't about

According to the law neither killing nor intimidation is the threshold for criminal prosecution. It is posting an image of a gun on social media. A "gun" is the image of anything which looks like a firearm, including our good old Red Rider "shoot yer eye out" BB gun. Yes, BB guns are explicitly mentioned. The police can without warrant enter the home and the parents as well as the kid could be criminally charged. No doubt social services follow up and everyone has a criminal record.

Ok. Perhaps a Law is too much, perhaps not. Again, what are the Motivations. That determines whether a Law or some other action is necessary or which is better.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Ok. Perhaps a Law is too much, perhaps not. Again, what are the Motivations. That determines whether a Law or some other action is necessary or which is better.

The motivation? Impossible to know but consider what the law does. It makes a criminal out of a kid posting his new BB gun or Airsoft. That alone is the crime. Orwell would have a field day with this one and no motivation rises to embrace an authoritarian action. Imagine if you posted a picture of a random immigrant and that became a crime? Motivations don't count whether a wrong is done nor party nor ideology. There is harm done for no legitimate rational reason. If I can't support Trump for his abuses I cannot do the same for anyone else. Now include "with intent", like "Hey mikey, remember I said to look out? Oh, I have a new weapon, I'll come by and show you.

Now that's way out of line if it's that or a crowbar.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Ralphie-bb-gun-300x158.jpg

If I were a minor and posted this pic I would be a criminal in FL. The police can search my home without a warrant or redress. If I had one and was 16 or over this would be a crime although FL law does not consider it a firearm nor a dangerous weapon.

Hopefully this is legislation pending, not passed.

Reactions: Paratus

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
The motivation? Impossible to know but consider what the law does. It makes a criminal out of a kid posting his new BB gun or Airsoft. That alone is the crime. Orwell would have a field day with this one and no motivation rises to embrace an authoritarian action. Imagine if you posted a picture of a random immigrant and that became a crime? Motivations don't count whether a wrong is done nor party nor ideology. There is harm done for no legitimate rational reason. If I can't support Trump for his abuses I cannot do the same for anyone else. Now include "with intent", like "Hey mikey, remember I said to look out? Oh, I have a new weapon, I'll come by and show you.

Now that's way out of line if it's that or a crowbar.

I just see this as over the top ranting. You're stuck on some Principle violation having been taken place rather than the Motivation having some
possible basis in fact or need.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
I just see this as over the top ranting. You're stuck on some Principle violation having been taken place rather than the Motivation having some
possible basis in fact or need.

I read the law and what the law says. It could be from 10 tapdancing angels wishing peace on earth. None of that matters. Now what motivation do you see that justifies the kid posting the Christmas Story pic? When the police arrest someone they aren't concerned with the motivation but the law. When the judge rules it's a matter of law. So what possible need is there to lock up a kid for posting the pic I did. You seem to be focused on motivation rather than the reality of that the law says. Try "Don't consider me breaking the law, understand my motivation and treat me as if the law exists".

That's unacceptable because you've justified a policeman who shot someone because they knew that person was going to get away with harming someone. Only consider the motivation.

Can't do that.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Ralphie-bb-gun-300x158.jpg

If I were a minor and posted this pic I would be a criminal in FL. The police can search my home without a warrant or redress. If I had one and was 16 or over this would be a crime although FL law does not consider it a firearm nor a dangerous weapon.

Hopefully this is legislation pending, not passed.

It was just introduced and sent to committee.

It will never pass.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I just see this as over the top ranting.
I read the law and what the law says. It could be from 10 tapdancing angels wishing peace on earth. None of that matters. Now what motivation do you see that justifies the kid posting the Christmas Story pic? When the police arrest someone they aren't concerned with the motivation but the law. When the judge rules it's a matter of law. So what possible need is there to lock up a kid for posting the pic I did. You seem to be focused on motivation rather than the reality of that the law says. Try "Don't consider me breaking the law, understand my motivation and treat me as if the law exists".

That's unacceptable because you've justified a policeman who shot someone because they knew that person was going to get away with harming someone. Only consider the motivation.

Can't do that.

Forgive me, I think we are having different discussions.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
A garbage law that was proposed with no evidence of actual traction and will absolutely not pass in a state that is incredibly gun friendly. This also posted by another alt/troll account.

Quick! Anyone have some spare pearls? I desperately need to clutch. Perhaps a fan as well? The vapors!

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
The motivation? Impossible to know but consider what the law does.

It makes a criminal out of a kid posting his new BB gun or Airsoft.

That's not what the senator says,

Senator Jason Pizzo - Take and post all the pix of hunting and range shooting you want, that’s not what this is about. It’s about posting unlawful possession.

Senator Jason Pizzo no, Sir. That activity is protected. It would not be a violation to post photos of lawful activities, whether it’s hunting or target shooting. There are no restrictions on permitted activities proposed.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
That's not what the senator says,

Senator Jason Pizzo - Take and post all the pix of hunting and range shooting you want, that’s not what this is about. It’s about posting unlawful possession.

Senator Jason Pizzo no, Sir. That activity is protected. It would not be a violation to post photos of lawful activities, whether it’s hunting or target shooting. There are no restrictions on permitted activities proposed.

Yeah but I've read the bill which by the way isn't that long. While it says there is no added restrictions on purchasing or owning firearms, the language prohibiting posting photos on social media has no qualifications. What he's saying isn't reflected in the bill's text.

But let's say for the moment that he's correct about how the statute would operate. It's still a violation of the 1A. Suppose marijuana is illegal in your state and you decide to make a video for youtube which depicts you and others smoking weed, as a form of protest of the law. If a similar statute existed for marijuana, they could not only prosecute you for illegally possessing it, but for posting the video itself, as a separate crime. How is that not a violation of the 1A? It's one thing to use a video as evidence of criminal conduct. Another entirely for the video itself to be the crime.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
A garbage law that was proposed with no evidence of actual traction and will absolutely not pass in a state that is incredibly gun friendly. This also posted by another alt/troll account.

Quick! Anyone have some spare pearls? I desperately need to clutch. Perhaps a fan as well? The vapors!

It's just alt-right outrage addicts getting their fix.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Just another anti-constitutional push from the left, nothing to see here, move along. Think about the children, etc. etc.

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
Unintended consequences? Many? What could you possibly be thinking?

I already mentioned one situation I thought of. For more, just see what Hayabusa Rider posted in this thread, I am inline with what he posts.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Like a lot of Floridians, OP sounds like she needs a CAT scan. There is something wrong with you if this is the gun issue that gets you riled. This act of pretending teens, by default, should be considered judicious firearm owners and that social media is just an innocuous element involved is just... wow. It's funny, I don't recall these sentiments when pics of Treyvon Martin's (and other black kids) media account were all over the news, didn't see or hear a single social conservative leap to the defense.

It would appear some people in Florida have connected the issue of youth gun violence with the prevalence of threats, brags, intimidation and coercion found in that same groups media presence. Yes how horrible for a state to take measures to deescalate tensions where so many disputes originate, it's not like they have a problem with gunfire erupting in schools periodically, right? Think about the selfies! Ugh.

Keep on keepin on banana republicans...

Last edited:
Reactions: Muse

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Like a lot of Floridians, OP sounds like she needs a CAT scan. There is something wrong with you if this is the gun issue that gets you riled. This act of pretending teens, by default, should be considered judicious firearm owners and that social media is just an innocuous element involved is just... wow. It's funny, I don't recall these sentiments when pics of from Treyvon Martin's (or other black kids) media account were all over the news, didn't see or hear a single social conservative leap to the defense.

It would appear some people in Florida have connected the issue of youth gun violence with the prevalence of threats, brags, intimidation and coercio found in that same groups media presence. Yes how horrible for a state to take measures to deescalate tensions where so many disputes originate, it's not like they have a problem with gunfire erupting in schools periodically, right?

Keep on keepin on banana republicans...

Because no one was trying to make it against the law for someone like Treyvon to have those pics on social media you cuck! Did you see any conservatives saying that him posting those pics shouldn't be allowed? Doubt it.

Of course if Treyvon posted pics with guns today I'd be against that. Zombies shouldn't have guns.

Last edited:

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
I wonder if the people of Florida will sleep easier at night knowing those dangerous children that post a picture of a gun on the web will be incarcerated?

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
I wonder if the people of Florida will sleep easier at night knowing those dangerous children that post a picture of a gun on the web will be incarcerated?

Fortunately, it doesn't seem likely to become law however it never should have been introduced. I looked who created this mess and it's a Dem by the name of Pizzo. Clearly, he is not fit for office if he does not understand the legal and Constitutional violations this creates. If it were a Rep I would be more likely to assume a ridiculous trolling, however, this guy has zero excuses.

I'll put him in the non-partisan discard pile.