Florida Ban on Gay Adoptions Ruled Unconstitutional

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: QED
When asked to comment about this news, John Kerry said "I'm happy about this. I'm especially happy for Dick Cheney's daughter, who is a lesbian, knowing that if she ever decided to move to Florida, and ever decided to adopt a child, that she would be able to do so."

:laugh:

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Found this on some hack American Psychological Association web site.
link
Can Lesbians, Gay Men, and Bisexuals Be Good Parents?

Yes. Studies comparing groups of children raised by homosexual and by heterosexual parents find no developmental differences between the two groups of children in four critical areas: their intelligence, psychological adjustment, social adjustment, and popularity with friends. It is also important to realize that a parent's sexual orientation does not indicate their children's.

Another myth about homosexuality is the mistaken belief that gay men have more of a tendency than heterosexual men to sexually molest children. There is no evidence to suggest that homosexuals molest children.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
another link link

There is no legitimate scientific research connecting homosexuality and pedophilia. Sexual orientation is defined as an adult attraction to other adults. Pedophilia is defined as an adult sexual attraction or perversion to children. In a study of 269 cases of child sex abuse, only two offenders where found to be gay or lesbian.

More relevant was the finding that of the cases involving molestation of a boy by a man as seventy-four percent of the men were or had been in a heterosexual relationship with the boys mother or another female relative.

The conclusion was found that "a child's risk of being molested by his or her relatives' heterosexual partner is over one hundred times greater than by someone who might be identifiable as being homosexual."

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
Originally posted by: loki8481
When asked to comment about this news, John Kerry said "I'm happy about this. I'm especially happy for Dick Cheney's daughter, who is a lesbian, knowing that if she ever decided to move to Florida, and ever decided to adopt a child, that she would be able to do so."

yeah, it's funny. and if the rightwing didn't keep making an issue out of gays and lesbians in our society to win elections then the nation would be better off....

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
Originally posted by: UberNeuman

yeah, it's funny. and if the rightwing didn't keep making an issue out of gays and lesbians in our society to win elections then the nation would be better off....

Come on, loki.... tell me the rightwing hasn't used gays and lesbians as a dividing point....

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004

Come on, loki.... tell me the rightwing hasn't used gays and lesbians as a dividing point....

they absolutely have. I certainly didn't vote for Bush in 2004.

but Kerry is probably my favorite congressional punching bag, having fumbled what should have been the easiest election ever with crap like his lines about Cheney's lesbian daughter.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
I just oppose the idea of gay 'marriage' because marriage is a religious idea first.

Are you on something?
its just the other way around.
Marriage has to do with property and legal issues between two people.
You can get married in L.V., at sea, by the justice of the peace, or if you chose, in a church.
No where no how is marriage connected legit with religion. Not in print, not in law.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999

but Kerry is probably my favorite congressional punching bag, having fumbled what should have been the easiest election ever with crap like his lines about Cheney's lesbian daughter.

So, you're offended that Kerry bought up the fact that she is a lesbian? Is it because it was ham handed in the manner he did it - and that he was playing up to those who would vote against those that support gay rights. You feel Kerry was pandering?

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004

So, you're offended that Kerry bought up the fact that she is a lesbian? Is it because it was ham handed in the manner he did it and he was playing up to those who would vote against those that support gay rights. You feel Kerry was pandering?

not offended -- the god awful manner in which he brought it up was just hilarious.

I tried finding it on youtube, but listening to JK for 30 seconds started putting me to sleep.

ultra laser

Banned
Jul 2, 2007
Originally posted by: zinfamous
Originally posted by: ultra laser
Why do you guys think gays should have children? Healthy children have a mother and a father, not two fathers or two mothers. Ultimately, this ruling singles out orphan children for undue punishment.

Also, Gay foster parents more likely to molest: http://www.familyresearchinst.org/FRR_02_11.html

This judge must really hate children.

wow

liek i no rite.

My posts are so mind-blowing that you guys can't even respond to them in a coherent manner. You either stand back in awe or start name calling. I think it's sad that you guys have been indoctrinated so well that opinions contrary to your own are thrown out with such a knee-jerk reaction.

Bravo, culture controllers! You've done terrifyingly well at telling the masses how and what to think.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
liek i no rite.

My posts are so mind-blowing that you guys can't even respond to them in a coherent manner. You either stand back in awe or start name calling. I think it's sad that you guys have been indoctrinated so well that opinions contrary to your own are thrown out with such a knee-jerk reaction.

Bravo, culture controllers! You've done terrifyingly well at telling the masses how and what to think.
Dude, I am as right wing as they come on this forum. And you are an idiot.

Look at most posts and REAL research studies done on molestation instead of some pseudo study done by some religious wack job with an agenda.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Why do you guys think gays should have children?

Why do you think they shouldn't? Isn't the burden of proof on the discriminator?

But to answer you, for the same reason other adults should get to have children.

Healthy children have a mother and a father, not two fathers or two mothers.

You are ignorant, and stating a lie.

There have been many studies every one of which showed that there is no harm at all to children by having two same-sex parents versus two opposite-sex parents.

Ultimately, this ruling singles out orphan children for undue punishment.

Ultimately, this ruling implements justice, instead of the harmful bigotry you want.

You are advocating evil.

Also, Gay foster parents more likely to molest: http://www.familyresearchinst.org/FRR_02_11.html

See PJ's response.

This judge must really hate children.

You must really hate children and gays, to deny them both good family situations, and in particular this boy who wants the man who has been his father to continue to.

The sickness I see is your armchair bigotry. Whatever benefit, sense of superiority, sense of power, whatever you get out of advocating discrimnation against people you don't know based on hateful ignorance, it's not anything but you being a bigot. And that's the use of these forums, for you not to get away with it in a discussion as you are called on it.

Xylitol

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2005

It's not fair for the kid to have gay parents (because of the social repercussions). It's not fair for the gay parent to not be able to adopt a kid. It's a circular argument.

But WAIT - don't men pay child support because it's for the BENEFIT OF THE CHILD?

It's not fair for a father who doesn't get to have his kid live with him (and still has to pay money). It's not fair for the kid to not have a father. AND THIS IS ALLOWED?

If this child support issue is for the benefit of the child, then gay adoptions should be banned for the benefit of the child. I'm so glad that I was not adopted into a gay family (there's a kid at my school who has 2 moms and he gets lots of crap).

Xylitol

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2005
Originally posted by: TechAZ
Good news! There is absolutely no reason a gay couple cannot adopt.

would you have wanted to live your life with gay parents? Not me, not me

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: Xylitol

It's not fair for the kid to have gay parents (because of the social repercussions). It's not fair for the gay parent to not be able to adopt a kid. It's a circular argument.

But WAIT - don't men pay child support because it's for the BENEFIT OF THE CHILD?

It's not fair for a father who doesn't get to have his kid live with him (and still has to pay money). It's not fair for the kid to not have a father. AND THIS IS ALLOWED?

If this child support issue is for the benefit of the child, then gay adoptions should be banned for the benefit of the child. I'm so glad that I was not adopted into a gay family (there's a kid at my school who has 2 moms and he gets lots of crap).

The people who give him crap are asses, and we need to end that bigotry just as we did for blacks, who took a lot of heat when integration happened in various ways.

Why don't you do the right thing and say something to anyone you see say wrong, bigoted things about gays? It takes some guts, do you have the guts to stand up for what's right?

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: Xylitol
Originally posted by: TechAZ
Good news! There is absolutely no reason a gay couple cannot adopt.

would you have wanted to live your life with gay parents? Not me, not me

Would I want to have you as a kid? Not me, not me.

Sorry to be cruel, but hopefully the point is obvious, on your bigotry against gays.

RocksteadyDotNet

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2008
Originally posted by: brandonb
Adoption is a priveledge, not a right. I just can't see how it punishes anybody but not allowing someone to adopt or a group to adopt.

I'm guessing 44 year old bald guys who obviously haven't been laid in their entire lives are probably not allowed to adopt 12 year old girls for obvious reasons.

Is that punishment to the 44 year old guy? When did he have a right to adopt a 12 year old girl?

God that made me laugh.

ultra laser

Banned
Jul 2, 2007
In response to Craig234:

1. I think if nature intended for gays to raise children, they'd have the ability to reproduce. Alas, they do not.

2. Children emulate their parents and see their interaction as what's normal. Having two dads or two mom's isn't normal, and the child doesn't learn how a normal couple interacts.

I would like to see some of these studies you're referring to, as I think it would be hard to quantify empirically the kind of things these children are not getting living in a gay household. Furthermore, I am also against single-mother families for the same reasons.

3. Yes, I'm an evil, terrible bigot (I torture puppies for fun). At least I don't rely on ad homminem attacks when I can't come up with a decent counter argument.

What's so evil about wanting to preserve the natural state of the family? Why should we change what has worked for thousands of years - that children should have a mother and father? Why should the most intimate and valuable unit of civilization be demolished just to appease a small percentage of the population? The whole idea is a monstrous perversion and these children did nothing to deserve it.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
In response to Craig234:

1. I think if nature intended for gays to raise children, they'd have the ability to reproduce. Alas, they do not.

While your argument can be shown wrong a variety of ways, I"ll pick one simple one:

Some men and women are impotent, from birth or later problems. Should those heterosexual, impotent couples who cannot reproduce be allowed to adopt?

2. Children emulate their parents and see their interaction as what's normal. Having two dads or two mom's isn't normal, and the child doesn't learn how a normal couple interacts.

I would like to see some of these studies you're referring to, as I think it would be hard to quantify empirically the kind of things these children are not getting living in a gay household. Furthermore, I am also against single-mother families for the same reasons.

Lots of things aren't "normal". Having an unusual religion isn't normal. Being vegetarian isn't normal. Believing the earth is flat isn't normal. Should all parents who in some way aren't 'normal' be banned from raising children? Why is being gay so much more harmful as a way they're different than, say, being smokers, or ignoramuses?

When you are so sure that the gay parents are harmful by not being 'normal', is that your bigotry screaming at you, or do you have any rational harm you can prove?

Many studies have proven than in every measurably way, children raised by gay couples do at least as well as heterosexual couples.

'Different' doesn't necessarily mean worse. Bigotry may make you assume it's worse.

3. Yes, I'm an evil, terrible bigot (I torture puppies for fun). At least I don't rely on ad homminem attacks when I can't come up with a decent counter argument.

Pretending the fact you are a bigot is silly doesn't make it silly. Someone who is calling for returning to denying blacks equal rights could say the same thing you did and mock it.

My attacks are not ad hominem, they are factually, objectively describing you and the problem with your position.

Of course when you call a bigot a bigot, they don't like it, you don't like it, but that's the thing you need to do, not allow the bigotry to silently go on.

You call for argument, but offer none, because you have none. You may not use ad hominem attacks there, but you call for discriminating against people for no good reason.

That's worse.

What's so evil about wanting to preserve the natural state of the family?

The fact that your 'natural state' excludes people for no good reason. You are harming people and there's no reason but bigotry.

People who opposed inter0racial marriage used the 'natural' word a lot too. It's a nice word that sounds respectable, but isn't when it's abused as you abuse it.

Are people who are born blind, born impotent, born with six toes, born extremely tall, born with a disease, born with huge breasts, born gay, 'natural'?

Gays are natural; and they are a natural small part of the human race like any other group I listed any many others. And you have no rational reason to discriminate against them.

Why should we change what has worked for thousands of years - that children should have a mother and father?

We shouldn't change what works with the mother and father. We change what doesn't work, the discrimination against same-sex couples also having parental rights.

Why should the most intimate and valuable unit of civilization be demolished just to appease a small percentage of the population?

You lie in saying that gay parents demolish parenting when the facts say it not only does not demolish it, it equals it at least.

The whole idea is a monstrous perversion and these children did nothing to deserve it.

The only monstrous perversion is your irrational, bigotred hatred of a group of people and your demanding for the children to be denied the benefits of those homes.