Floods in Japan force two million people to evacuate

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Just read this, I can't even fathom what two million people evacuating looks like. I live in hurricane land and have been through some pretty big evacuations and they can get absolutely brutal, some have seen people in their cars for well over 24 hours, but nothing like two million people. Hiroshima just can't catch a break.

"We've never experienced this kind of rain before," a weather official said.

More than 60 people are dead and dozens missing after record rainfall caused rivers to burst their banks in Hiroshima and other areas.

Two million people have been ordered to evacuate. PM Shinzo Abe said rescuers were "working against time".

"There are still many people missing and others in need of help," the prime minister told reporters on Sunday.

Since Thursday parts of western Japan have received three times the usual rainfall for the whole of July, setting off floods and landslides.

Most of the deaths have occurred in Hiroshima prefecture.

In the town of Motoyama, on Shikoku island, 583mm (23in) of rain fell between Friday morning and Saturday morning.

Further rain warnings are in effect, with more than 250mm (10 in) predicted to fall in some areas by Monday.

An official at the Japanese Meteorological Agency told a news conference: "This is a situation of extreme danger."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-44756369

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Man, lava flowing in Hawaii, flooding in Japan...not a good time to live on an island :(

May 11, 2008
They do not have it easy In Japan. A few years ago an earthquake and a tsunami.
If i am not mistaken another flooding and now again flooding.
58cm of rain in less than a day.

Nov 20, 2009
But will he show up with a MAGA hat on? Not to be political, but the concept of Godzilla was based on America's war machine during WW2. I just see trumpy reviving that monster impression.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
They do not have it easy In Japan. A few years ago an earthquake and a tsunami.
If i am not mistaken another flooding and now again flooding.
58cm of rain in less than a day.
I hear it's a really poor country. They can't even cook the fish they eat. I'm surprised no one has told Captain D to open a restaurant there to help those poor people.