Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Got money to spend?

Buy an aquatic floating coach RV. :D

Last edited:

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
That video has the same annoying narrator as the myth busters.

Looks dangerous to be trapped inside if one of the inflatables burst or leaks, just takes a log or something to puncture it or a valve to leak.

But it definitely looks cool maybe with solid pontoons.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Yeah, it's actually very dangerous. You better wear life jacket all the time.

Even then, when the RV starts to sink, you probably don't have enough time to get out.

==

This is a prototype. They will use pontoons when it goes into production. But still feel dangerous.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thebobo

Bartman39

Elite Member | For Sale/Trade
Jul 4, 2000
But the concept is pretty darn good... Also for a prototype it looks pretty good in more ways than it seems... The idea of starting with a boat platform and then putting an RV on top was a cool idea... But I too agree about the pontoons, inflatables worry the crap out of me... Just go with a more solid design and contour them into the sides...?

Very interesting concept though... ;)

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Kinda cool. I wonder what the lawsuits will be like though from people who don't understand 'calm water sailing'

tynopik

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2004
let's combine two of the most expensive, maintenance-prone toys in existence, what could go wrong!

(RV's have notoriously poor quality control and boats are always expensive)

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I always thought building a house boat would be a fun project, but not the way I would go about it myself. Starting with a solid barge platform seems like it would be safer. I'd want solid pontoons or 55 gal drums. Drumss might actually work well too as each one could have water sensors in them in case one starts to leak and then set off an alarm inside with visual diagram of which one is leaking. You'd have tons of redundancy. Now I'm curious how much weight a single 55 gal drum could hold before it sinks too low... Would maybe carry more weight if they are all set vertical. Not as aerodynamic in the water though, but something like this would not really be built for speed anyway.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Looks dangerous to be trapped inside if one of the inflatables burst or leaks, just takes a log or something to puncture it or a valve to leak.

But it definitely looks cool maybe with solid pontoons.

According to the video, the inflatable pontoons are simply there for additional stabilization. The RV itself is actually a boat.

Also, there's pretty good floatation materials available these days:

http://www.inflatablesolutions.com/

Last edited:
Reactions: mxnerd and Thebobo

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
See, if the Walking Dead crew had one of those bad boys, their problems would be solved :D